is it possible to arrange search results by date?

Hi! I’m working on a research project involving timelines.  I need to

1. organize many snippets of text from different books
  2. tag each snippet by subject, but also tag each snippet with the DATE at which the event occurred
  3.  search the database by tags or keywords, and, most importantly,
  4. Display the results of the search by date? 

For example: “show all snippets tagged FINANCIAL DEREGULATION, and display the search results from OLDEST to NEWEST”?

Is there a way to do this in Evernote??

Thanks in advance,

Steven

• Level 5

What's a snippet? Do you mean the Snippet View?

If you put your "snippets of text" into individual notes, you can search by tag and also sort notes by the Created Date (ascending or descending). I edit the Created Date to indicate the date at which the event occurred. That is how I do all my searches.

The weakness with your method is that you cannot sort by by a Tag. I do not use Tags with dates.

I use 2 methods for dates (1) edit the Created Date field and (2) Add a date prefix (YYYYMMDD) for each title. This gives me a lot of options for date control.

• Level 5*

Hi! I’m working on a research project involving timelines.  I need to

• organize many snippets of text from different books
  • tag each snippet by subject, but also tag each snippet with the DATE at which the event occurred
  •  search the database by tags or keywords, and, most importantly,
  • Display the results of the search by date? 
For example: “show all snippets tagged FINANCIAL DEREGULATION, and display the search results from OLDEST to NEWEST”?

Is there a way to do this in Evernote??

Thanks in advance,

Steven

If you try to use tags to represent general dates, you'll probably find that your system doesn't scale very well. You could use the created date for each note as the date that the event occurred; you'll need to do this by hand, unless you're creating the note on the date of the event (assuming that the time-of-day on the date doesn't matter). After that, you can sort your note list by Created Date, reversed, so that notes with older date display before notes with newer dates. And it,d probably be a good idea to keep those notes in a separate notebook (or at least maintain a separate tag for them), so that you can isolate them easily in a search.
  • Level 5

@jbenson2:  thanks for your help!

@jefito:  Actually the "date created" is not so important to me, and if i could manually use that field for "date of the event", that is a perfect workaround for my problem!  I appreciate your help!

Glad to help.

I've found the ability to change the Created Date is one of the most important features in Evernote.

Archived