(Archived) Just Use Standard Windows Text Editor

David Aronchick

Windows provides a standard UI text service for editing text, please just use that instead of implementing your own.

Let me give you an example:

- Type a sentence.

- Hit return

- Type a space

- Hold down ctrl and hit "delete" multiple times.

In every other editor on Windows (Notepad, MS Word, Word Pad, PyCharm, etc etc etc), this deletes to the beginning of the line, then to the previous line, THEN the previous word. Evernote breaks this. Why would you guys do something completely different? Can't you just use the standard UI service?

• Level 5*

Does Notepad have checkboxes? Nope

Windows provides a standard UI text service for editing text, please just use that instead of implementing your own.

Let me give you an example:

- Type a sentence.

- Hit return

- Type a space

- Hold down ctrl and hit "delete" multiple times.

In every other editor on Windows (Notepad, MS Word, Word Pad, PyCharm, etc etc etc), this deletes to the beginning of the line, then to the previous line, THEN the previous word. Evernote breaks this. Why would you guys do something completely different? Can't you just use the standard UI service?

Tried that. It doesn't work in Notepad, for one (it doesn't do anything when you click Ctrl+Delete). But then again, notepad is a text editor, and can't handle mixed formatting, bullet lists, checkboxes, links, etc, which Evernote's editor can handle. Fact is, Evernote needs to edit its own flavor of XHTML, in WYSIWIG fashion, and there's no standard Windows control for that. Could it work beter? You bet; I doubt that there's anyone here, including Evernote employees who would disagree. But a Windows standard control, either plain text or even rich text doesn't really fill the bill.

I stand corrected! I realize I had swapped out with Notepad2 as a default replacement. Sublime text matches as well.

i certainly don't know the internal workings of Evernote, and don't want to dictate a solution (e.g. using Edit Control or similar). It's just so frustrating to have to use a completely novel set of key commands in Evernote from nearly every other editor on Windows. I'm not suggesting it gets close to rich text editing (WordPad, etc), but standard key commands seem like table stakes.

Archived