lost all my notes on my android

I don't speak Tech Talk very well

I backuped everything on my android, so I thought... Now I cannot find any of my notes..

it won't sync.. I read that your notes are forever in your Gmail I can't find them there either.

everytime I write a note I do say that where does it go

• Level 5*

Hi.  Exactly how did you backup your notes?  Do you mean 'sync' the notes?  If so try going to www.evernote.com in a desktop PC browser and log in with your user name and password.  You should find all your notes there,  or you can search with the Evernote app (use the magnifying glass icon) and your note should be downloaded again.

I don't speak Tech Talk very well

I backuped everything on my android, so I thought... Now I cannot find any of my notes..

it won't sync.. I read that your notes are forever in your Gmail I can't find them there either.

everytime I write a note I do say that where does it go

Additionally...unless you're using some third party software, Gmail has nothing to do with Evernote. So I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "your notes are forever in your Gmail."

the last sentence is wrong what I said is I save all my notes now I'd like to know where they went

Again, not sure what you mean by this...

Hi. Exactly how did you backup your notes? Do you mean 'sync' the notes? If so try going to www.evernote.com in a desktop PC browser and log in with your user name and password. You should find all your notes there, or you can search with the Evernote app (use the magnifying glass icon) and your note should be downloaded again.

thank you thank you I found them I got to find out how to get them back on my android but at least I did this....

to the other person who said to me its never forever on Gmail well it is and that's exactly what I did it was online at least maybe not Gmail but it was in my email but thanks for responding anyways.

thank you thank you I found them I got to find out how to get them back on my android but at least I did this....

to the other person who said to me its never forever on Gmail well it is and that's exactly what I did it was online at least maybe not Gmail but it was in my email but thanks for responding anyways.

i did not say it's "never forever on Gmail".  What I said was...

Additionally...unless you're using some third party software, Gmail has nothing to do with Evernote. So I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "your notes are forever in your Gmail."

And that is still true...

• Level 5*

...I got to find out how to get them back on my android ...

Your notes don't "stay" on your phone,  unless you have enough spare storage space and want to get into setting up Offline Searching.  If you start the Evernote app and search for one of your notes,  it will be downloaded so you can see it.  You can create more notes and save them into Evernote,  which again means your phone will send them to Evernote over the Internet ('sync' them) as soon as it can.  You can always do searches to find things you've saved,  and add new ones / edit old ones (mostly) but without this Offline Searching feature you'll always need to have a network connection so you can download the information you need.

Do remember too that with all your information flying backwards  and forwards and available at the touch of a button you need to be careful with your security - PIN-protect your phone and change your passwords every month just in case...

• 2 years later...

@gazumped

I seem to be having the same problem looking for my notes. I use basic EN on my android, I try to save after every edit, but noticed it saves automatically upon leaving the page (that's to my favour right?)

My phone kinda crashed, so I did a factoryreset, losing the app. Now I've downloaded the app again, but some of my most recent notes are missing. I know I didn't delete them.

Can I get my notes back? If yes, please tell me my options. Also, I use EN only on my Android (if this helps).

Thank you ever so much.

• Level 5*

Hi.  All the notes that were synced to the server prior to your phone crash should be available to you when you log back into your account.  You could check that you're seeing everything by signing into your account at Evernote.com via a desktop browser.  If you made changes to notes,  or added new ones that had not synced with the server at the time of the crash,  then they were lost with your 'phone contents.

Your Android doesn't have local permanent storage,  so notes on the device are kept in temporary memory until synced,  which - as you've seen - can be hazardous to your data.  It is possible to manually sync from the app,  and if that's your only storage I'd suggest you do that often.  It can be a help to have the installed desktop version on Mac or Windows,  because that also means (after syncing) there's a copy of the database on your local hard drive.

6 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  All the notes that were synced to the server prior to your phone crash should be available to you when you log back into your account.  You could check that you're seeing everything by signing into your account at Evernote.com via a desktop browser.  If you made changes to notes,  or added new ones that had not synced with the server at the time of the crash,  then they were lost with your 'phone contents.

Thank you @gazumped guess i need to get on my desktop hopefully, the latter of will not be the case here.

Truly grateful. Will give feedback on my findings soonest.

@gazumped

I seem to be having the same problem looking for my notes. I use basic EN on my android, I try to save after every edit, but noticed it saves automatically upon leaving the page (that's to my favour right?)

My phone kinda crashed, so I did a factoryreset, losing the app. Now I've downloaded the app again, but some of my most recent notes are missing. I know I didn't delete them.

Can I get my notes back? If yes, please tell me my options. Also, I use EN only on my Android (if this helps).

Thank you ever so much.

• 2 weeks later...

@Matt W.

I am very sorry for the late reply. I have been offline a while, my work saw me out of town with no internet access... I'm sorry.

I have checked EN web, I see my recent notes, just as I do on my Android, but the notes i seek aren't there. I'm at a loss on what to do.

Please advice.

On 11/3/2016 at 9:31 PM, gazumped said:

If you made changes to notes,  or added new ones that had not synced with the server at the time of the crash,  then they were lost with your 'phone contents.

@gazumped

Could this possibly be my fate? Would be sad to let go. I heard on desktop version I could get them back. Do I need to gain access to the formatted device? 

Please advice.

• Level 5*

@Klay The problem is that if your notes were sent to the server from the phone,  they would have been visible on the web service.  That's a direct link to the server copies of your notes.  If they're not there,  then the only place the most recent version of your notes existed was on your phone,  in temporary memory,  prior to the crash.  After a crash and factory reset it's pretty certain that no trace remains of anything that was stored in temporary memory.

The difference with a desktop is that since it has easily accessible local storage (ie a hard disk),  and retains a copy of your database actually on that hard disk,  any changes are made and saved pretty quickly.  If your internet connection drops out,  they just stay stored locally until it can be resumed.  So,  very sorry,  but it looks like your notes are irretrievably gone - apart from what you carry in your head anyway...  :(

Archived