(Archived) Help with Rolling Evernote back to last version of 4

everNut

I made the mistake of updating my Evernote to this new version 5 and I HATE it.  I want to dump it and revert back to version 4 which I was happy with.  I know others have mentioned doing this but I can't find out the best way to go about it.  Heck, I can't even find a way to back up my data files so I won't lose anything or have to wait for a full download from the web version - which doesn't cover private folders anyway.

Can someone PLEASE help me?

Thanks.

I made the mistake of updating my Evernote to this new version 5 and I HATE it. I want to dump it and revert back to version 4 which I was happy with. I know others have mentioned doing this but I can't find out the best way to go about it. Heck, I can't even find a way to back up my data files so I won't lose anything or have to wait for a full download from the web version - which doesn't cover private folders anyway.

Can someone PLEASE help me?

Thanks.

FWIW, I don't know if a V5 database is compatible with V4. I would suggest exporting your local notes to enex (and then importing to V4) or confirming with EN staff that a V5 database will work with V4. You may find this thread informative...

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/51590-missing-local-notebook/

Thank you, that's what I figured.  Now, can you tell me the easiest way to FIND the private notebooks in the list?  Once I find them, do I have to export each individual notebook, or is there a way to export everyhing as a single file?  As far as reverting, should I just uninstall version 5 and then do a fresh install of the version I want?  I suppose I will have to go through and rearrange everything to get it back the way I had it before I made this stupid mistake.  And finally, where can I shut off the "New Version available!" popup notices since I have no intention of ever doing that again?

Sorry if I sound irritated. I would just like to get things back the way I had them in the quickest and easiest way possible.  If this is all documented, please feel free to direct me to where I can find it - I tried browsing the "Help" section from the program menu but found nothing useful there.  Thank you, again.

Thank you, that's what I figured.  Now, can you tell me the easiest way to FIND the private notebooks in the list?  Once I find them, do I have to export each individual notebook, or is there a way to export everyhing as a single file?  As far as reverting, should I just uninstall version 5 and then do a fresh install of the version I want?  I suppose I will have to go through and rearrange everything to get it back the way I had it before I made this stupid mistake.  And finally, where can I shut off the "New Version available!" popup notices since I have no intention of ever doing that again?

Sorry if I sound irritated. I would just like to get things back the way I had them in the quickest and easiest way possible.  If this is all documented, please feel free to direct me to where I can find it - I tried browsing the "Help" section from the program menu but found nothing useful there.  Thank you, again.

Please search the board, since the various methods have been discussed already.

• Level 5*

By "private folders", I'm guessing that you mean local notebooks (i.e., those that aren't synced. You should export each one of those to its own .ENEX file. Notebooks names are not saved in a ENEX file; so you need to keep notebooks separate from each other so that you can reconstruct. Do this before you do anything else. Having local notebooks means that you are taking responsibility for backing up the notes that are contained therein. You will need to examine each notebook to determine which are local: right-click on a notebook, select Properties, and it should say Local for the Type.

As BnF said, I'm not sure if V4 Evernote can read a V5 database; you could back it up to somewhere safe, and try it out. But in case it doesn't, you should be able to do this: uninstall Evernote 5. Move your .exb files out of the way to a safe location. Install Evernote 4. Log in, and let your notes sync down from the cloud. Then import your saved .ENEX files back into your database, notebook by notebook.

There are more detailed instructions out there; do a forum search for "windows backup notebook" or some such, and you'll find more information. I've never done this before, myself (happy with V5), but other forum users have.

Archived