Why are evernote files on my computer zero Kilobytes?

My understandng is evernote stores files both locally and on the syncs cloud, and I have located my evernote files deep in a folder on my computer.  The odd thing is, every file says "0 kb" for every evernote file.  How is that possible?

My ultimate question, is do we actually save disk space by using evernote?  I'm thinking not since the files are still mirrored on our computer.

• Level 5*

Hi.

To expand on what @aussiebob said - if you installed the Evernote client on your computer desktop and logged in from there,  Evernote will download your notes to the computer and store them in a local database.  If you don't have that many notes yet,  maybe the files will be small,  and if Evernote is running (and depending on your operating system) they may show as "0" size.  Or maybe you need to sync your account (transfer files to/from the server).  But you're right - move a 1MB file to Evernote desktop and it will occupy (approximately) 1MB of space on your hard drive as part of the database.  The advantage to it being in Evernote is that the file is searchable / taggable and available anywhere on any platform you happen to be using to access Evernote.

You could use only the web version and all files would be kept in the Cloud (= somewhere else in the world on someone else's computer) which IMHO is stunningly unadvisable.  Lose your network connection?  No files.  Forgot your password?  No files (for as long as it takes).  Account problems?  - I could go on...

Try exiting Evernote completely (File > Exit) and check your file size again,  or just don't worry about it as long as you have access to your notes...  check to see that you have the same total number of notes via the web client as you do on the desktop version.

• Level 5*

If you are on the Mac, you are probably looking in the wrong place. If I look in CoreData, I have about 125 KB. If I look in the proper place, I have 13+ GB in total (7+ GB in my main account). Here are directions for finding your notes for the Mac.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

As mentioned above, we have no "selective sync," and all of your notes will be stored on your computer. If this is a problem for you (a Macbook Air with little storage), you may want to consider only using the Web client.

Archived