Automatically give scanned pages a note title ?

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to scan something in and have the name of the file change automatically according to the content of the paper. This way my note will get the new more useful title.  For example if I highlight text such as the name of a store, is there a way that that note can now get the name of that store instead of me manually entering the name. I remember reading something somewhere about being able to do this by using a highlighter. Does anyone know of a solution? I am using a Mac and a Scansnap 1500 .

Many thanks,

Cliff

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to scan something in and have the name of the file change automatically according to the content of the paper. This way my note will get the new more useful title.  For example if I highlight text such as the name of a store, is there a way that that note can now get the name of that store instead of me manually entering the name. I remember reading something somewhere about being able to do this by using a highlighter. Does anyone know of a solution? I am using a Mac and a Scansnap 1500 .

Many thanks,

Cliff

Unless you're doing your own OCR'ing during the scan, there is no way for any software to know what's in the scan.  What I do is simply give the scanned file the name I want my note to be.  IE, my Cox bill for period ending 1/28/14 would be saved as "Cox 20140128".  Then when I drop it into Evernote, the note title is set to the file name.  I'm on PC, so can't confirm the Mac client does this.

You can definitely do it with a ScanSnap and Hazel. Use an unholy combination of these two posts:

http://www.documentsnap.com/scansnap-and-hazel-is-a-match-made-in-paperless-heaven/

and

http://www.documentsnap.com/behind-these-paperless-evernote-hazel-eyes/

It works well, depending on how well the ScanSnap picks up your highlighting. As BurgersNFries says, you will need to do have the ScanSnap do the OCR.

Depending on how your documents are structured, you might even be able to use some of the token matching stuff introduced in Hazel 3.1 to do even more advanced things.

Archived