Business for personal use

I'm just a single person but I'm a single person with multiple unrelated projects. I was wondering if upgrading to a business account would help some of my organizational issues.

Can someone tell me how a Business account might benefit a single user? If I were to have a Business account with two users, let's say "earthabbey" and "earthabbeybiz", what benefits could this be to me? What are the additional information sorting options would I have?

There are just little things that supremely annoy me with my current premium account and I've been waiting and waiting but EN does not seem to be changing them. Things such as...

- Doing a google search and having a private note to self type note show up in the "related results"

- as above but for after clipping articles (I can't believe there is no option to hide certain notebooks from these features for privacy reasons)

- I'm find it hard to keep tags organized because a tag may be used in two completely unrelated businesses/projects so either I have to be okay with that or remember the tag I used for each.

- I've got 2700 notes, and they are all notes or articles I clipped manually, not auto-generated. With only 2 levels of organization for the notebooks I'm becoming overwhelmed and finding it difficult to remember all the notebooks I have and where they are.

I know having 2 users on a biz account will be quite a bit more money $20/mo vs $5/mo but it'll be worth it to stop spending so much time staring blankly confused at the screen, wasting time looking for what tag I am supposed to use, etc.

What do you think?

• Level 5*

I'm just a single person but I'm a single person with multiple unrelated projects. I was wondering if upgrading to a business account would help some of my organizational issues.

Can someone tell me how a Business account might benefit a single user? If I were to have a Business account with two users, let's say "earthabbey" and "earthabbeybiz", what benefits could this be to me? What are the additional information sorting options would I have?

There are just little things that supremely annoy me with my current premium account and I've been waiting and waiting but EN does not seem to be changing them. Things such as...

- Doing a google search and having a private note to self type note show up in the "related results"

- as above but for after clipping articles (I can't believe there is no option to hide certain notebooks from these features for privacy reasons)

- I'm find it hard to keep tags organized because a tag may be used in two completely unrelated businesses/projects so either I have to be okay with that or remember the tag I used for each.

- I've got 2700 notes, and they are all notes or articles I clipped manually, not auto-generated. With only 2 levels of organization for the notebooks I'm becoming overwhelmed and finding it difficult to remember all the notebooks I have and where they are.

I know having 2 users on a biz account will be quite a bit more money $20/mo vs $5/mo but it'll be worth it to stop spending so much time staring blankly confused at the screen, wasting time looking for what tag I am supposed to use, etc.

What do you think?

Hi.

1. You can prevent this from happening.

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2010/09/30/evernote-chrome-extension-gets-simultaneous-search/

2. You can prevent this from happening.

3. Tags can be tricky, but Business won't help you there. Personally, I use a rather limited range of keywords in titles combined with various advanced search terms.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=367

4. I have 11,000+ notes in my account at the moment which are primarily in three notebooks: mobile, synced, and local. I have very few notebooks -- maybe just ten or fifteen in total, and they provide no organizational or navigational value to me. They are there purely for sharing or to keep my notes from syncing to the cloud (a local notebook). Ideally, I'd just have one notebook, but at the very minimum, I'll probably always have to have two (one for local and one for synced notes). The system probably won't work for everyone, but my guess is that most people could get by with far fewer notebooks than they actually use.

I think your problem is organizational, and neither a Premium nor a Business account will help you, because they have virtually identical features. See here for some comparisons:

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169

If you don't like my minimalist approach (the first link), my recommendation would be to rethink your organizational approach:

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=446

1. You can prevent this from happening.

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2010/09/30/evernote-chrome-extension-gets-simultaneous-search/

I still want the feature but I don't want ALL notebooks included in the pool that results are pulled from. If I am doing research for something on Google, It is not helpful to me to have a diary entry come up as a related result in EN. I've asked EN chat agents before and was told it is not possible to hide a notebook from results. Please correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Oh and I agree, I have an organizational problem. Your method won't work for me though, I'll get confused and lost and it won't be efficient at all. I really need things broken up into chunks in order to be able to follow them.

• Level 5

You are correct.

A notebook cannot be hidden directly, but there are a couple possible solutions.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

One is a work around that I use to hide a specific notebook.

I collect political commentary and editorials that are stored in my Politics notebook.

All my notes in the Politics notebook have a variety of different tags, but they all have a tag with the single letter "z".

To suppress all my political notes, I run a standard search, but add -tag:z to the end of the search.

So if I search for Michelle -tag:z  I will find a friend named Michelle, but not the President's wife.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Another more drastic method, but similar to what you are looking for, is to create a 2nd Evernote account. It can be free. When you do the google search, include your user name to search the correct account.

I have 28,000 notes and due to the size of just the titles, could not load them into my new Android phone. So I created a 2nd account for thoughts that occur to me when I am away from my desktop computer. And it is possible to share some of my notes between both accounts.

• Level 5*

1. You can prevent this from happening.http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2010/09/30/evernote-chrome-extension-gets-simultaneous-search/

I still want the feature but I don't want ALL notebooks included in the pool that results are pulled from. If I am doing research for something on Google, It is not helpful to me to have a diary entry come up as a related result in EN. I've asked EN chat agents before and was told it is not possible to hide a notebook from results. Please correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Oh and I agree, I have an organizational problem. Your method won't work for me though, I'll get confused and lost and it won't be efficient at all. I really need things broken up into chunks in order to be able to follow them.

You cannot exclude notebooks. Sorry.

1. You could make a separate free account for your diary and switch to your regular account when Googling. This might keep your diary out of the mix.

2. You could also try putting your diary notes into a local notebook. This might prevent the results from appearing.

3. Or, you could keep your diary in a separate account on the web (don't log into it on your desktop app). As long as you log out of the diary account before Googling, your notes won't appear.

I haven't tested these methods myself. The third one is pretty much guaranteed to work. The other two are possibilities you might want to try.

To suppress all my political notes, I run a standard search, but add -tag:z to the end of the search.

So if I search for Michelle -tag:z  I will find a friend named Michelle, but not the President's wife.

I'm actually talking about the browser extensions here. When you search Google or Clip a page using the Web Clipper you get related results which you can turn on or off. You can not hide a notebook from showing. Many people use my computer, I don't need (for instance this did happen) my bloodwork notes showing up in the related notes area on a Google search results page when I search Google for cholesterol. It is unhelpful to me as it isn't actually a related note at all and it can be potentially embarrassing if friends or family do a Google search while EN is logged in.

Now, I am pretty confused by your second comment. You said to include your username in a Google search to search those notes? It does not make sense to me because a person can not use Google to search an Evernote account just by including a users username in the search. What are you trying to say here? I think I need you to explain your point in a different way.

• Level 5

Sorry for the confusion, scratch my suggestion about the user name - it does not apply to your inquiry..

Regarding the issue of a note showing up in related notes - I would strongly urge you turn off that function. It serves little to no purpose for most users. It is laughable how "out-in-left-field" some of the results are.

Two of the Evernote items I have stopped are:

Windows Client Version

>View
>Show Related Notes (unchecked to stop showing)

Web Version

>Account Settings
>Security
>Connected Services
Turned off connect with Google

A couple additional comments - if other people are using my computer at work, then I would definitely not allow that computer to store or access anything personal. That is why I suggested a 2nd Evernote account.

And I would be hesitant to go down the Business Evernote road - As you might have noticed, there is not much activity in the Business forum - only averaging a couple comments/day - that puts up a warning flag to me.

Archived