(Archived) Tree of tags

If you hold down the mouse on one tag, you can drag it onto another tag to make it a child of that parent tag. You can also make new tags under another by right-clicking on the target tag in one of the clients.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm on mac, and rigth-clic to create a tag under another tag dont work at all.

The new tag is creat, but not under the selected tag...

An my question is how localised a tag in a tree..

By example : I type some word for searching, I receive a list of notes, and eacvh note have some tag... An now how fing somes tag in the tree ?

Tag names are sorted alphabetically in the tree, so you should be able to find the tag that way. You can also type this into the search box to filter the notes by tag:

tag:Cooking

tag:"Cool Stuff"

My only problem with the 'tree of tag' implementation in Evernote is that whilst the tags look like they are set in trees, they aren't, each tag must be independent across the entire account, not just among its siblings.

So for example, I do a few research projects concurrently, so ideally I'd like to be able to set up a tree that looks like this:

Research Work

-Benzene Decomposition

--Correspondence

--Research Papers

-Styrene Decomposition

--Correspondence

--Research Papers

But I can't. I'm seen a hacky way where you go 'Styrene Decomposition.Correspondence', but to me thats just ugly. Its basically the only thing stopping me from getting a premium account.

So basically my question is, does Evernote have any plans to make tags only be required to be unique among siblings as oppose to globally unique in the future?

Simeon

My only problem with the 'tree of tag' implementation in Evernote is that whilst the tags look like they are set in trees, they aren't, each tag must be independent across the entire account, not just among its siblings.

So for example, I do a few research projects concurrently, so ideally I'd like to be able to set up a tree that looks like this:

Research Work

-Benzene Decomposition

--Correspondence

--Research Papers

-Styrene Decomposition

--Correspondence

--Research Papers

But I can't. I'm seen a hacky way where you go 'Styrene Decomposition.Correspondence', but to me thats just ugly. Its basically the only thing stopping me from getting a premium account.

So basically my question is, does Evernote have any plans to make tags only be required to be unique among siblings as oppose to globally unique in the future?

Simeon

I have somewhat similar issues, but rather than use sub-tags, I would do something like this:

Research Work

- Benzene Decomposition

- Sytrene Decomposition

Note Types

- Correspondence

- Research Papers

IMO, this has an advantage in that you can select just "Research Papers" and see all the relevant notes across projects. To get the notes for a specific project, you would click on "Research Papers" and on the specific project. If this is something you look up all the time, you could create a saved search for it.

The downside is that you do have to assign 2 tags instead of one, but the end result of your tagging very precise.

I have numerous notes like this. I work in software, writing manuals for software programs, so I have a structure like this:

Current Projects (tag for each of the books I work on)

- Book 1

- Book 2

- etc

Software Versions (tag for each version of our software)

- etc.

Various other tags, such as a generic "Meetings" tag.

With this structure, I can very rapidly get, say, all my meeting notes that are relevant to Book 1 and from version 1.0 of that project by just clicking the tags.

It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I've found it works pretty well. I had to redo a lot of my tagging structure when I migrated from EN 2.2 (which DOES support what you describe) to 3.0. Once I got things set up and working, I find I actually like the newer way better.

That system is a good compromise and I'll have a go with it. Thanks for pointing it out to me! I just realised I can further facilitate that method by 'ctrl clicking' multiple tags.

I still wish though that I had the option of doing both methods.

I also curious why tags aren't specific to each notebook. The fact that tags are specified across multiple notebooks really just make notebooks another type of tag with the added bonus of being able to specify synchronisation options. Why not either a) eliminate notebooks all together and just have sync options for tags or :) make notebook specific tags?

I also curious why tags aren't specific to each notebook. The fact that tags are specified across multiple notebooks really just make notebooks another type of tag with the added bonus of being able to specify synchronisation options. Why not either a) eliminate notebooks all together and just have sync options for tags or :) make notebook specific tags?

I know I've seen other threads requesting more notebook-specific tags. Personally, I have MANY tags that I use across notebooks. My preference would be a simple toggle of some sort that would make the tag tree hide all UNUSED tags in the current view of notes. That way, when looking at my Work notebook, I could hide all the tags not used in that notebook, which would effectively hide all my personal tags. But if I want to see my full tag list, I still could.

My two main notebooks are Work and Personal. Tags such as Phone Call, Meeting, Articles, and Reference are all good examples of tags that apply across notebooks. I also have a few other notebooks for some specific areas. Sometimes a note could legitimately land in more than one notebook - it isn't always clear cut where it should go. In those cases, I also like being able to apply cross-notebook tags to the note so that it is tagged correctly even if it is iffy as to which notebook it is in. I do most of my searching/filtering from the All Notebooks view.

My Personal notebook also serves as a sort of journal, and at times I have vented there about work-related things, and then assigned the relevant work-related tags. So I really wouldn't want to have to maintain two completely separate tag trees across my notebooks.

But the ability to hit a toggle and make all the unused tags disappear would be VERY handy. If it applied to the current search result of notes, it would also be a nice way to see what tags are currently in use in that subset of notes.

I wouldn't like using tags to designate sync/not sync, again because I currently use some of the same tags in both online and local notebooks. The designation of whether a note syncs needs to be separate from the tags used to find and filter that note later. Besides, there are people out there who don't much use tags, and primarily use notebooks, so eliminating notebooks would make a bit of a mess for them.

Tag names are sorted alphabetically in the tree, so you should be able to find the tag that way. You can also type this into the search box to filter the notes by tag:

tag:Cooking

tag:"Cool Stuff"

If yours Tags are in tree, and I hope that, so they are not sorted alphabetically ...

Example :

Tree1

bbbb

cccc

Tree2

aaaa

ok ?

I wouldn't like using tags to designate sync/not sync, again because I currently use some of the same tags in both online and local notebooks. The designation of whether a note syncs needs to be separate from the tags used to find and filter that note later. Besides, there are people out there who don't much use tags, and primarily use notebooks, so eliminating notebooks would make a bit of a mess for them.

Well thats my point. Say you have two notebooks 'Business' and 'Personal'. You have items in both under a tag called 'Travel'. Thats really identical to having three tags, 'Business', 'Personal' and 'Travel'. If you want to note a business travel you'd tag it 'Business' and 'Travel'. To access business travel you'd just select 'Business' and 'Travel' together. To get all travel, you'd select 'Travel' and to get all business notes you'd select 'business'.

For the syncing, well you could set 'Business' to sync and 'Personal' not to (which is the same as having notebooks sync and not sync). Or maybe your interest in all your travel plans being synced but nothing else, then you can set 'travel' to being synced. Or maybe you'd like to selectively sync items, so you could make another tag called 'Sync' and tag all required items with that.

The idea of notebooks seems largely redundant...

• 2 months later...

So, I dont have a solution to my question.

I just want, when I find a note and select it, see all the leaves blinking, by example, to show me where the note is present...

Because tag are alphabeticaly sorted, ok, but into each tree, and a note can be into more than one tree...

Archived