Connecting notes to geographical locations through Atlas

Hello, 

I am looking to tie specific notes to specific places on a map.  I know that I'm not the only person that wants to do this that uses Evernote...

I don't want to have to create the note in that location because I will probably create it at my office or home and then access the information AT THAT LOCATION.  I want to be able to move it around by typing in an address or simply picking it up and moving it on the screen.  

For Instance, I am in sales and I would like to put a dot on a map that shows each customer that I have in a given region.  I am not picky! I would be ecstatic with any map that has aerial/map views (google, apple, bing, mapquest?--whatever!)  

This would also be helpful when I travel.  I could put information on the coliseum for when I travel to Rome for instance...

One might think that this simple request would be easily accommodated in Atlas.  It is not.  The map has no layer functionality and you can't simply move the dots around to wherever you want.  Maybe I'm missing something, so I come to this distinguished forum for some assistance.  

-David

PS: I don't want to hear from that one dude who is always pushing Golater because I checked it out and it will not help me.  I want this mapping functionality to be accessible on ALL devices, not just my iphone.  I want to be able to pull it up on my computer which makes me think that somehow manipulating Atlas might be my best route. 

Gazumped, 

Thanks for your response. I do appreciate you taking the time to send me info on Shifu but I looked into it and it seems to be more of a productivity tool than what I am looking for… I don't want reminders attached to places on the map.  I don't want any type of notification when I'm nearby or anything like that. I just want my existing notes to be tied to a place on the map of my choosing, not where it was created.  

The more I dig and research, the less I understand the point of Atlas.  I look at it now and 95% of my notes were created at my office or at my house… What does this tell me?  That I need to update Evernote from different locales?  I can't be the only one who is frustrated by this.  Even if I did create a note for a client of mine in the lobby of his building, what if he moved and I wanted to move the note to his new location?  Would I have to drive to his new location to tie a note to the lobby of his next building?  

What I am looking for is something quite simple.  Something like Evernote notes tied to batchgeo (http://batchgeo.com) which has an interface a million times better than Atlas (it is google maps for those who are unfamiliar).   

It would be nice to open up Atlas from your computer and choose a geographic location for one or all of your notes so that when you were there, you could pull up Evernote Atlas on your mobile and see that you are standing within 10 feet or 10 miles from a note that you specifically placed in a location of your choosing.  

Based on the example I provide above, say that I am at home and I want to spend an hour researching the coliseum before an upcoming trip to Rome.  Wouldn't it be convenient for me to create a note at home, geo-tag it to the coliseum in Rome, and when I arrive in Rome a week later, be able to look at Atlas at my hotel and see that I am only a mile or two away from the coliseum?

Evernote theologians (people who seem to think that Evernote in its current form is perfect, feel that they must protect Evernote at all costs, and are resistant to change) might say, "Why don't you just search Evernote for the coliseum note when you are standing in front of the coliseum?" to which I might respond, "Because I plan on seeing 15 different things in Rome and I want to create notes for each, and see the geo-location of each relative to where I am standing when I'm there."  

I have looked into "travel apps" and none of them seem to have this basic function.  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.   

The technology clearly exists to do this.  I don't understand why it seems impossible.    

• Level 5*

I think Shifu does what you need - I've only got it installed for a trial at the moment,  because I agree - I can't see how I'd use it other than in this one way:  I currently have it set up so when I get to my local library,  it pops up a reminder that says 'get books!'  (I would have used Hello World but that's old hat..)

My reminder could equally well contain a link to a note that lists the books I'm there to consult,  or to steal your example,  a note that links to all my research on a destination so it automatically pops up when I get there.

OneNote will do something similar - I don't know whether Evernote have any ambitions to do the same.  It should be possible to create an app via the Evernote API that will do the job.  All you need now is a friendly coder..

When you find something that fits the bill,  please let us know your eventual choice!

Basta, here's a workaround that I tried on my Windows version of Evernote. It is somewhat crude, so may not be practical enough for your needs.

• Go to Google Maps on the Internet. (You may need to be in the "Classic" view.)
  • Enter the address of the place you want to specify as the location for a Note in Evernote.  Click the Search button. Google Maps will show map with a pin specifying the location.
  • Right click on pin. A little menu of choices will pop up.
  • Click on "What's Here?" The latitude and longitude will appear in the Search box.
  • Copy them.
  • Start up Evernote.
  • Find the Note where you want to specify the location.
  • Click on "Info".
  • Click on the words "Click to To Set Location". A little window will pop up.
  • Click on "Enter Manually". A window will pop up.
  • Paste the latitude and longitude.
  • Click "OK". A window will pop up.
  • Click on "Enter Manually" again. At this point, you should be able to see the values as you entered them. 
  • Click on "OK" and you are done.

By the way, the coordinates for the Coliseum in Rome are 41.890745,12.492224.

I hope that helps.

It can be done from your desktop, but it's not nearly as easy as it should be. Once you've created a note, click on the "i" at the top right to open the note's information: Title, Notebook, Tags etc. In the Location field enter the lat long of the location you want the note to appear in Atlas. It's a proper pain in the neck and I honestly can't understand why Evernote doesn't make it easy to click and drag a note location on the map. It'd vastly improve functionality for myself, and I can't help think it wouldn't be that difficult for them to implement.

Hope this helps anyway.

Dougie

• 4 months later...

I have the opposite problem: I just actually noticed Atlas in my desktop sidebar and opened it to see what's there. What I found was my notes pinned all over the map of the world in locations not even remotely close to where they were initiated. I can find no way to correct this. Any suggestions?

Open a Note.  Click on the "i" top right corner.  In that drop down menu, change the location.  You can use an address, Long/Lat, or just city/state.

As far as I can tell, you have to do them one Note at a time.

Why they have random locations assigned to the Notes, I have no clue.  

Open a Note.  Click on the "i" top right corner.  In that drop down menu, change the location.  You can use an address, Long/Lat, or just city/state.

Thank you. I am aware of how to create a location - which of a large number of notes is about as kluged as it can get. I cannot take the time to modify hundreds o notes with the correct location one at a time. The very idea gives me a headache. But I would not have to do this if the system appended the correct location to begin with. It didn't. In fact there seems to me no logic at all behind its assignments in this case. It has literally placed them everywhere. That renders the feature - which I understand has been around for quite some time now - useless. 

So, I still need to know how this happened, not so much to fix past sins but to prevent future ones.

• Level 5*

Thank you. I am aware of how to create a location - which of a large number of notes is about as kluged as it can get. I cannot take the time to modify hundreds o notes with the correct location one at a time. The very idea gives me a headache. But I would not have to do this if the system appended the correct location to begin with. It didn't. In fact there seems to me no logic at all behind its assignments in this case. It has literally placed them everywhere. That renders the feature - which I understand has been around for quite some time now - useless. 

So, I still need to know how this happened, not so much to fix past sins but to prevent future ones.

I think a support ticket (see below) is required here - none of us have access to the mysteries of the geolocation feature.

Well, doesn't seem as if MapClipper is a solution to repairing hundreds of notes that have been incorrectly tagged by Evernote.  This might work well for tagging notes in future if they cannot be tagged otherwise but I am dealing primarily with notes that have embedded photos and each of those photos is geotagged. The system should be picking up that tag and it isn't. What it is doing for some unknown reason is assigning locations that are unrelated to the content. Seems extremely odd. 

Hello, 

I am looking to tie specific notes to specific places on a map.  I know that I'm not the only person that wants to do this that uses Evernote...

I don't want to have to create the note in that location because I will probably create it at my office or home and then access the information AT THAT LOCATION.  I want to be able to move it around by typing in an address or simply picking it up and moving it on the screen.  

For Instance, I am in sales and I would like to put a dot on a map that shows each customer that I have in a given region.  I am not picky! I would be ecstatic with any map that has aerial/map views (google, apple, bing, mapquest?--whatever!)  

This would also be helpful when I travel.  I could put information on the coliseum for when I travel to Rome for instance...

One might think that this simple request would be easily accommodated in Atlas.  It is not.  The map has no layer functionality and you can't simply move the dots around to wherever you want.  Maybe I'm missing something, so I come to this distinguished forum for some assistance.  

-David

PS: I don't want to hear from that one dude who is always pushing Golater because I checked it out and it will not help me.  I want this mapping functionality to be accessible on ALL devices, not just my iphone.  I want to be able to pull it up on my computer which makes me think that somehow manipulating Atlas might be my best route. 

Hi Basta,

We agree that ideally there should be a way to have complete control of the YOUR places as much on the Desktop Evernote application as much on the mobile platform, this is one of the power of Evernote.

At IdeaPlaces, we've been working hard on making a great app, where Evernote users can link their notes with the places they visit.

The mobile version was first since we assumed that most peoples would want to interact with their places on the go, where their notes are created or where they want to see their notes.

With IdeaPlaces you can create personal places, move notes from one place to another. Search for places using Foursquare and Google Places. Also for each note you have a Google Map and Street View.

You also get location based reminder when you reach the places you want to visit and much more. 

For more information you could visit our website: www.ideaplaces.com or you can follow the discussion here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/60737-ideaplaces-a-new-way-to-explore-and-use-evernote/

Anyone please feel free to email us at signup@ideaplaces.com and we would love to give you access and take in any feedback at all.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Ciprian,

Evernote Power user & creator of IdeaPlaces: A new way to explore and use Evernote

Archived