For 2014, my Evernote is getting a new (faster!) server!

Email received this morning...

"Hi,

You are one of the very first users of Evernote and your account is on some of our earliest server hardware.

To make your Evernote experience faster and more reliable, we will be upgrading the servers that house your Evernote account at 8am PT on Saturday, January 11th. We expect this process to take about 30 minutes. You may not be able to use some Evernote features during this time.

In particular, you might not be able to sync, use Evernote Web or the Web Clipper, or access some of your notes on mobile devices. The desktop versions of Evernote should continue to function without syncing. If you need to use Evernote during this period, we recommend that you sync your notes prior to 11pm. Premium users may consider downloading important notebooks to their phones or tablets.

Thank you for being a long-term Evernote user! We’re excited to put you onto our newest and fastest servers.

As always, you can check the status of the Evernote servers and read about planned maintenance at http://status.evernote.com.

The Evernote Team"

• Level 5*

Email received this morning..."Hi,

You are one of the very first users of Evernote and your account is on some of our earliest server hardware.

To make your Evernote experience faster and more reliable, we will be upgrading the servers that house your Evernote account at 8am PT on Saturday, January 11th. We expect this process to take about 30 minutes. You may not be able to use some Evernote features during this time.

In particular, you might not be able to sync, use Evernote Web or the Web Clipper, or access some of your notes on mobile devices. The desktop versions of Evernote should continue to function without syncing. If you need to use Evernote during this period, we recommend that you sync your notes prior to 11pm. Premium users may consider downloading important notebooks to their phones or tablets.

Thank you for being a long-term Evernote user! We’re excited to put you onto our newest and fastest servers.

As always, you can check the status of the Evernote servers and read about planned maintenance at http://status.evernote.com.

The Evernote Team"

This is shard #1? I wonder why no one has told me about this upgrade. I'll check my email settings, but so far, I haven't received any word. I won't complain about better hardware, especially if it speeds things up. I've been "processing" almost constantly for a couple of days now.

What did you say? Processing occurs on my end, and so you are going to send me a new Mac Pro to speed things up? Thanks! Don't forget the 4k TV :)

• Level 5*

Yeah, I got that yesterday. Not sure what the benefits are though if you spend most of your time in a thick client? Quicker sync maybe?

Actually, I used it for a while in the store the other day. It seemed no faster than the MBP for regular apps. I was surprised at that. I bet major processing (I do that on occasion) would see dramatic speed increases, but with little optimized for it, and maybe not very much more you could do with regular apps, there isn't much point in someone like me getting a Pro. LOL. I do most of my work on the iPad :)

[EDIT: Oh. I think you meant you got the email, not the Pro. LOL. OK. Well, a faster shard might make for faster OCR and stuff? I don't know. Anything that could speed things up is welcome.]

This is shard #1? I wonder why no one has told me about this upgrade. I'll check my email settings, but so far, I haven't received any word. I won't complain about better hardware, especially if it speeds things up. I've been "processing" almost constantly for a couple of days now.

What did you say? Processing occurs on my end, and so you are going to send me a new Mac Pro to speed things up? Thanks! Don't forget the 4k TV :)

Yeah, for a split second, I thought YAY! And then realized this may have no impact on the desktop client for my main account...

Yeah, I got that yesterday. Not sure what the benefits are though if you spend most of your time in a thick client? Quicker sync maybe?

Well, since the Windows desktop client can't handle my main account, I've been accessing it from the web client or viewing/appending via Clever on iPad. So maybe new/faster servers will be helpful for that...

(Vroom, vroom!)

• Level 5

Well, a faster shard might make for faster OCR and stuff? I don't know. Anything that could speed things up is welcome.]

Not OCR.  That's done by a separate group of image processing "AIR" servers.

evernote-highlevel-architecture1-282x300

I find in architecture updates that a key part is faster bus connectivity, and after that faster memory.

So the next is that even with the same clockspeed CPU's and storage hardware, you get better performance out of the similar rated components.

You have RAM gluing together CPU on one side and storage on the other.  The speed and efficiency of the piping connecting them continues to improve along with the components themselves, enabling faster crunching and transport of those bits.

Take it back to the desktop and it's in part why a 1st or 2nd gen Macbook air feels great, and the similarly very modest clock rated CPU with an SSD in my Lenovo tablet from the same 2008 as the server my Shard 1 is sitting on, feels very poky.

Here's what Evernote says is actually on a Shard server

StorageSoftware-300x172.png

• The File system has some work to do, as the data is de-duplicated in software.
  • The Database - MySQL
  • and Lucene, which is the search indexer.

At the time of the article  the Lucene 2.x component had twice the IO load as the MySQL database, and the filesystem/deduplication load/overhead isn't mentioned but presumed to be a distant 3rd.

I guess around q3 2013 Lucene, the most computationally expensive part of the software stack, was segmented, and a lot of it's work was migrated to Lucene 4.x, with some individual user indexing still left to Lucene 2.9

So they say disk IO on search index operations drop by 30-90%.  So even without new hardware, search indexing should already have improved.

I have to guess that some degree of that server-side pre-crunched metadata is brought into the client side along with the data in a client sync (or wouldn't we see a drastic search difference between offline and online states).

I note there's no GPL license attribution to Apache/Lucene on the client side, so this isn't a shared/distributed thing.

So we can't say, yippy-skippy, an Evernote Shard hardware update will be invisible to me because I always use a thick local client.

It doesn't seem to work that way.

If there is a tech blog entry discussion what all the mystical local client side load is on the Windows/Mac desktop I haven't read/discovered it yet...

Signs do point to offline notebook indexing (perhaps without the benefit of server side Lucene, but by the slower MySQL native indexing).

• 1 month later...

Email received this morning...

"Hi,

The Evernote Team"

I mostly use the web client for my main account (63,000+ notes) b/c the Windows client had become unbearable to use with this account.  Although I've not given it an official test, it does seem to me that I get very few "script not responding" errors when using the web client with this account.  (Which is most likely the one transferred to the new server(s) since it's my first/oldest account.)  Thank you!

Archived