Jump to content
Due to limited holiday staffing, chat will be unavailable from Thursday, July 2 at 5:30 PM (CDT) to Monday, July 13 at 8 AM (CDT). This will allow us to reply to your email requests as quickly as possible. Thank you for understanding. ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • 0
rabidstu

Importing notes into Excel

Idea

Hi all,

 

I'm trying to import a set of notes from Evernote into Excel, where each note takes up a row and all the notes fall into two columns -- one for the notes' titles, the other for the notes' bodies.

 

So as an example, I have twenty vocabulary notes saved in Evernote (note title: vocabulary word, and note body: definition). If I were able to import these notes into Excel, I would like there to be twenty rows (one for each vocab word), where the first column features the vocabulary word (note titles) and the second column features the definitions (note bodies). What's the best way of going about this?

 

Any help is appreciated! :)

Share this post


Link to post

9 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

Hi - you have a very specific query,  and I don't think we've been asked this before..

 

Check out the File > Export > Options menu for the choices available to export from Evernote desktop.  There's also printing.

 

Output to ENEX is a modified XML format,  and depending on the content of your notes you may be able to open that output in a text editor and set up the layout you require for further import into Excel.  Other exports (to HTML forinstance) give you the option to specify whether or not to include titles,  tags etc in the output.

 

Excel may be able to import one or other of the formats Evernote provides,  but you're going to have to do some editing.  There is no 'best' method that I'm aware of - trial and error is going to be the way to go.  It would be useful if you could share what option you eventually choose for the next query along these lines...

Share this post


Link to post

Appreciate the help, gazumped. I've used the export options before, both html and enex, in my previous attempts to import the notes into Excel but never managed to get them organized in the way I intended.

 

I'm not too familiar with text editing, but I'll see if I can produce some better results by following your suggestion. Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post

I asked the same thing in the Evernote Business forums.

 

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/67175-evernote-to-excel-sheet-so-close-to-being-awesome/

-  (no resolution)

 

and just today, trying to get help again...

 

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/81248-en-to-excel-importing-note-body-text-into-excel/

 

The Excel macro that I found will probably work for you, since it doesn't sounds like you're dealing with attachments.  I'm running into an error running the Excel macro when there are attachments (specifically pics).

 

If anyone can look at and try this code and see if they get errors with it (I got errors 5 and 52), feel free to offer suggestions or solutions.  Thanks!

 

Evernote to Excel Macro.txt

Share this post


Link to post

Hi all - I'm trying to export all of my notes from Evernote into Excel - title, note body, all the metadata, etc (also tried to download Robert C's Excel macro but got an error - might have to cook my own). I'd like to clean/bulk edit and analyze all my data.

I can copy and paste all notes by selecting them from the top list view of the desktop app, then paste them into Excel, but the note body isn't a field you can select - this should be a simple feature to add, since all the other fields are viewable (see screenshot).

Anyone figure out how to do this, or where I can address my request to? Even if it were a paid feature I wouldn't mind, but I think I have a right (and a need) to access and manipulate all of my data as a I see fit. Evernote's not a bad input interface but they'd better watch out - it's only a matter of time before someone else develops a better input/output UI.

 

 

Screenshot_1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, kishmalik said:

I have a right (and a need) to access and manipulate all of my data as a I see fit.

Hi.  Not sure you can claim a right to have any output you decide - Evernote specifies two:  ENEX and HTML though the post above yours does quote an Excel macro that might do the job for you.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2016-11-27 at 1:50 AM, kishmalik said:

Hi all - I'm trying to export all of my notes from Evernote into Excel - title, note body, all the metadata, etc (also tried to download Robert C's Excel macro but got an error - might have to cook my own). I'd like to clean/bulk edit and analyze all my data.

I can copy and paste all notes by selecting them from the top list view of the desktop app, then paste them into Excel, but the note body isn't a field you can select - this should be a simple feature to add, since all the other fields are viewable (see screenshot).

Anyone figure out how to do this, or where I can address my request to? Even if it were a paid feature I wouldn't mind, but I think I have a right (and a need) to access and manipulate all of my data as a I see fit. Evernote's not a bad input interface but they'd better watch out - it's only a matter of time before someone else develops a better input/output UI.

I'm not seeing a problem with the metadata.  
My approach would be via Applescript on my Mac, or export the Notes table using a database tool

Not sure about the note content; I can retrieve it, but Excel doesn't seem the best product to store this data.  
On Macs, Evernote stores this in text (html) form; a separate file for each note, along with attachments.  
A simple text note can be handled in Excel, but not a complex note.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I figured out a method to do this.  It's a little convoluted and time consuming, but ......

Export the EN as html.

Open with Text Edit.

Save.

Open with Word (2008)

Find/Replace EN delimiters (=). Multiple instances as necessary. Replace with comma for CSV doc.

Save as Plain text (.txt)

Import .txt to Excel as (text enabled) csv. In step 2, change to comma. In step 3, chnage headers to Text. Finish.

Voila!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

That only works for one note at a time. For many notes, you get just as many text files which is not what most people are seeking I suspect.

I'd like to import a large number of notes into Excel at the same time ... and still looking for the solution.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, larykirk said:

That only works for one note at a time. For many notes, you get just as many text files which is not what most people are seeking I suspect.

I'd like to import a large number of notes into Excel at the same time ... and still looking for the solution.

I'm able to transfer notes to Excel using a script on my Mac, and direct database access

I only copy the metadata; Title etc

The original request had the note body in one column but I'm not sure how they wanted it to appear

Share this post


Link to post

×
×
  • Create New...