Not sure what to title this without sounding aggressive, but Joe please read.

Southdowns

So, Joe starts a PM discussion with me, clearly wanting to hear my feedback (he asks specific questions), I spend considerable time providing reasoned answers to those questions, including producing a document that illustrates them, and then - nothing.

I've done him the courtesy of reminding him gently a few times, both here and by PM, and in response to one of those reminders he gave an excuse and said he'd attend to it. The other reminders were ignored, and still, months later, nothing.

If my feedback had been a rant, I'd understand, but it wasn't. If he'd answered it, even negatively, I'd understand, but he hasn't. If it had been unsolicited, I'd understand (just), but it wasn't. If I'd spent only a negligible amount of time on it, I'd let it go, but I didn't.

Is there some sort of massive problem with the forum software that's stopping him seeing PM's, or is Joe simply too discourteous to reply to discussions he's started, or to ask a colleague to?

To be fair and clear, Joe DID respond initially, but only to interim answers, and to ask further questions. He knew I was spending time producing the document, knew it would answer some of his questions, knew it would illustrate my points, AND said that he'd reply.

To be even clearer, I'm only putting this in the open forum because I'm getting no reply to PM's, and have given Joe a very long time to reply, thinking there might be more immediate issues for him to deal with, and even that Thanksgiving and/or Christmas might cause delay. I'm not after special treatment or instant responses, just common courtesy.

• Level 5*

So, Joe starts a PM discussion with me, clearly wanting to hear my feedback (he asks specific questions), I spend considerable time providing reasoned answers to those questions, including producing a document that illustrates them, and then - nothing.

I've done him the courtesy of reminding him gently a few times, both here and by PM, and in response to one of those reminders he gave an excuse and said he'd attend to it. The other reminders were ignored, and still, months later, nothing.

If my feedback had been a rant, I'd understand, but it wasn't. If he'd answered it, even negatively, I'd understand, but he hasn't. If it had been unsolicited, I'd understand (just), but it wasn't. If I'd spent only a negligible amount of time on it, I'd let it go, but I didn't.

Is there some sort of massive problem with the forum software that's stopping him seeing PM's, or is Joe simply too discourteous to reply to discussions he's started, or to ask a colleague to?

To be fair and clear, Joe DID respond initially, but only to interim answers, and to ask further questions. He knew I was spending time producing the document, knew it would answer some of his questions, knew it would illustrate my points, AND said that he'd reply.

To be even clearer, I'm only putting this in the open forum because I'm getting no reply to PM's, and have given Joe a very long time to reply, thinking there might be more immediate issues for him to deal with, and even that Thanksgiving and/or Christmas might cause delay. I'm not after special treatment or instant responses, just common courtesy.

Hi. I don't know what Joe's schedule is or anything like that, but I don't think he meant any disrespect. You can check the messages to see if they have been "read." If they have not, that may indicate that Joe hasn't logged into the forum in some time (it has been about a week since he last logged into the forum). Besides the feedback by PM, I assume you are referring to exchanges you have had like this one: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/45530-how-do-you-use-a-fill-tool/

I will flag this for Evernote staff. In the future, you should also feel free to contact support and go through them to get into contact with him (or any other developer).

Thanks for that, but I'm afraid it's not his schedule. I think I've been far more than patient here, but the PM thread was started by Joe on 5th October, he last posted to it (with a question, so he clearly didn't intend it to be over), on 17th October, and I sent him a reminder PM on 17th November.

Yes there have been other discussions on here, and he's replied to some and not others, but any frustration I've shown in those comes largely from Joe's lack of response to the much more detailed PM discussion.

I'm afraid I've found support to be pretty useless in the past. They may be OK if you have a specific technical issue, but they're not interested in more general user feedback. They simply apply the standard corporate, cut and paste, "we've passed it on" approach that seems to be the norm these days, unless you're lucky enough to be dealing with a small developer. There is no sense at all in which they take any ownership, which is why it was encouraging when Joe at first appeared to be listening, and so disappointing when he reverted to type :(

@Southdowns, I wasn't be discourteous to you, I've been busy with our releases for the end of the year. Things got a little hectic. I've read your posts and others, but had to juggle what I could jump into. I'm going to drop you a PM right now with further comments offline. 

Yes I've been busy as well; too busy to spend time producing documents useful to the discussion, only to have them ignored for almost three months.

All it needed was a brief "I'm busy at the moment, can we re-convene after Christmas" in response to my PM of 17th November, and all would have been good.

Anyway, water under the bridge as they say, and I look forward to continuing the discussion by other means :)

Archived