Search Using Special Characters

Are there any plans to allow searching on special characters, specifically @, #, and $. I'd like to collect lots of notes that contain tweets and web pages with stock symbols that are usually prefaced with $, like $C (Citigroup) or $T (AT&T). And no, tags won't help. I don't want to tag every note I collect. I just want to see every note that I've clipped that contains $C, etc.

• Level 5*

Are there any plans to allow searching on special characters, specifically @, #, and $. I'd like to collect lots of notes that contain tweets and web pages with stock symbols that are usually prefaced with $, like $C (Citigroup) or $T (AT&T). And no, tags won't help. I don't want to tag every note I collect. I just want to see every note that I've clipped that contains $C, etc.

If you are on a Mac with the direct download version of the app, I believe that Spotlight will be able to find everything for you. I just did a search for hashtags and a bunch of my notes appeared. I haven't tested every special character, but you might want to give this a try. If you need help getting the direct download version (or knowing where to look for your notes), see this post:

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

• Level 5*

Good tip, GM. With WIndows we can only use Evernote to search.

I should also add that as far as I can tell, quoting text containing special characters doesn't help in Evernote search.

• Level 5*

Good tip, GM. With WIndows we can only use Evernote to search.

I should also add that as far as I can tell, quoting text containing special characters doesn't help in Evernote search.

Yep. That's one of the many benefits of using a Mac. Plus, on a Mac you can install Parallels and run the Windows version of Evernote if you want -- the best of both worlds. It's not all roses and Virgil's root beer over here (as you know, I am still toying with the idea of switching over to a Surface Pro 2), but when it comes to searching, I've found the Mac experience to be superior.

Archived