Unavoidable pop-up that cannot be removed and won't let me use Evernote!

Currently there is a pop-up appearing on Evernote whenever I open it in a browser. It reads:

Install Evernote

Get more out of Evernote, even without an internet connection, by installing it on your computer.

Download Evernote for Windows
No Thanks

There are no links to click and no "x" to click on to get rid of it. Clicking outside the pop-up does nothing and it has rendered Evernote completely unusable since I can't get passed it!

post-172782-0-09754600-1389237614_thumb.

• Level 5*

Popups. I've got no love for those! Unfortunately, the international popup foundation is bankrolling Evernote -- so it seems :)

It looks like you are in Windows. Using IE? Could you tell us your browser? Also, out of curiosity, why not follow the popup advice and use the desktop app?

I'm using Chrome on Windows 7.

I don't use the Windows app because it doesn't seem necessary as the browser experience has been perfect up until now and I usually only use Evernote on PC when I'm checking something I've uploaded from my tablet or phone.

• Level 5*

I'm using Chrome on Windows 7.

I don't use the Windows app because it doesn't seem necessary as the browser experience has been perfect up until now and I usually only use Evernote on PC when I'm checking something I've uploaded from my tablet or phone.

I'd say the desktop app is phenomenal, and a far better experience. At the very least, I recommend it because it will give you a copy of your data on your hard drive, which you can then backup.

Try another browser and let us know what happens. This might be an incompatibility with Chrome that causing the popup.

Using Chrome and firefox for Windows 7 and have same thing. Glad it's not just me. I can't use the desktop client so that isn't an option. Wonderful, now I can't get to my notes.

After reading the blogs about Evernotes new focus on quality, this isn't exactly a good sign. :) Guess I will try out SimpleNote which supposedly has less issues.

Perhaps I'm old-fashioned but back in the day developers actually used to test software before releasing it to the public. Especially commercial software.

All Evernote software is free. Users can pay for the premium *service* if they find the additional features useful.

What proof do you have they have not tested the software? With 80 + million users, there's a good chance not every bug is findable before being rolled out. It does not mean the software has not been tested.

• Level 5*

Never had the problem in either Firefox or Chrome - mind you I block pop-ups automatically and use an AdBlock extension which takes out the adverts that annoy me so maybe oneway or another that Evernote ad gets spiked before I see it.  I have no shame in this - I assume the providers of those ads would prefer that I didn't think "stoopid darn company!" every time I see their name...

Never had the problem in either Firefox or Chrome - mind you I block pop-ups automatically and use an AdBlock extension which takes out the adverts that annoy me so maybe oneway or another that Evernote ad gets spiked before I see it.  I have no shame in this - I assume the providers of those ads would prefer that I didn't think "stoopid darn company!" every time I see their name...

This isn't a popup, it's the newer "pop-over" ad type.  What's the extension you use to block these pop-over ads as adblock plus doesn't do it?

I also use Evernote web client (every day) in Firefox & just now in Chrome.  No pop ups (or popovers, which would be tastier) for me.

I also use Evernote web client (every day) in Firefox & just now in Chrome.  No pop ups (or popovers, which would be tastier) for me.

While I am pleased you don't have this problem, unfortunately for several of us we do have it (and it's frustrating when people post "oh i don't have this problem").  We see the following popover image (attached to this message) where the links don't work and can't access our notes.

My extension is literally called AdBlock

Yes Adblock and AdblockPlus don't block popovers very well.  Pop-up yes.  There is a difference.   http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-popover.htm

post-174331-0-78440600-1389281575_thumb.

While I am pleased you don't have this problem, unfortunately for several of us we do have it (and it's frustrating when people post "oh i don't have this problem").  We see the following popover image (attached to this message) where the links don't work and can't access our notes.

Yes Adblock and AdblockPlus don't block popovers very well.  Pop-up yes.  There is a difference.   http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-popover.htm

While it may be annoying to you that others are posting they don't have the problem, it does indicate the problem is not an across the board problem & is most likely something unique to your setup. 

Good luck. 

• Level 5*

"...unfortunately for several of us we do have it..."  ?? Do you have colleagues with the same issue?  I'd certainly recommend raising tickets then.

"...it's frustrating when people post "oh i don't have this problem".."  Actually I do that (when it applies),  because it is material information to anyone trying to resolve am issue.  There's a website based on the same principle - http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

While it may be annoying to you that others are posting they don't have the problem, it does indicate the problem is not an across the board problem & is most likely something unique to your setup. 

Good luck. 

"...unfortunately for several of us we do have it..."  ?? Do you have colleagues with the same issue?  I'd certainly recommend raising tickets then.

"...it's frustrating when people post "oh i don't have this problem".."  Actually I do that (when it applies),  because it is material information to anyone trying to resolve am issue.  There's a website based on the same principle - http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

I really don't want to get into an internet battle.  The first poster also has this problem. I just submitted a support ticket.  Thanks for your helpful responses.

Best

I really don't want to get into an internet battle.  The first poster also has this problem. I just submitted a support ticket.  Thanks for your helpful responses.

Internet battle? This is a user's board & users should be (and are) free to post their POVs & experiences, as long as they are not disrespectful to other users. You may not always like the replies you get. But that's not only part of life on the internet, but part of life in general.

As I said before...good luck.

Evernote support confirmed it's a bug.

"It does appear to be a bug that is causing this issue. Unfortunately this is not something I can help you with right at this moment. An internal bug report has been filed with out QA team. Who will work this issue into their workflow. Thank you for taking the time to write in and bring this issue to our attention.

David A.
Evernote"

Evernote support confirmed it's a bug.

"It does appear to be a bug that is causing this issue. Unfortunately this is not something I can help you with right at this moment. An internal bug report has been filed with out QA team. Who will work this issue into their workflow. Thank you for taking the time to write in and bring this issue to our attention.

David A.

Evernote"

Great to hear they've identified your issue. Once again...good luck.

I was having the same issue in Chrome today, must have been a recent change they made. I resolved it by disabling ad-lock plus on the tab I was using to access evernote. At that point, clicking "no thanks" worked fine and I could access me notes.

Looked into this a little bit.

It seems like there is an issue with AdBlock plugins as it relates to Chrome and possibly Firefox. (Per earlier in the thread.)  Popovers can still generate, but cannot be clicked.

mzmxl has already mentioned the fix in Chrome.  (Adding evernote.com as an exception.)  It is possible that Firefox has this fix as well.

Archived