(Archived) Missing Local Notebook

brianpals

I transferred my Evernote files (including the Database folder etc) from Windows XP to Windows 8 (now Windows 8.1) a month or so back and now realise that I have totally lost my local (Private) notebook.

I thought the local notebook was stored separately in the LocalStorage folder and so I've been chasing around through old backups and the File History looking for an old LocalStorage folder that actually holds something, to no avail.  

Now that I've read that my local notebook is included in the main database file, how could transferring my full Evernote folder to the newly installed Evernote program in Windows 8 cause just the local notebook to disappear?

I transferred my Evernote files (including the Database folder etc) from Windows XP to Windows 8 (now Windows 8.1) a month or so back and now realise that I have totally lost my local (Private) notebook.

I thought the local notebook was stored separately in the LocalStorage folder and so I've been chasing around through old backups and the File History looking for an old LocalStorage folder that actually holds something, to no avail.  

Now that I've read that my local notebook is included in the main database file, how could transferring my full Evernote folder to the newly installed Evernote program in Windows 8 cause just the local notebook to disappear?

In the Windows client, all notebooks, including local ones are contained in the single exb file.  That's the ONLY file you need.  Transferring an exb file from one computer to another works just fine...as long as both computers are using the same major release of the EN client.  I don't know that a Windows XP EN client exb file is compatible with a Windows 8 EN client. 

Also, to clarify, I think the exb file is typically a hidden file.  You have to modify the folder viewing options to have it displayed.  Depending upon how you copied from one computer to another, the exb file may not have been included & so on the new computer, EN simply created an exb file (since none existed) & downloaded the sync'd notes from the EN server.  IE, if the exb file was hidden & you selected all the files in the folder to copy rather than the entire folder at the folder level.  Beyond that, I'd suggest you contact support.  (See my sig.)

Archived