(Archived) How to create shortcuts in Windows version?

Wordsgood

Hi.  I started using Evernote a few months ago and have been searching the forums and knowledge base pages when I'm stuck, but this is the first time I've actually posted anything.

Allow me to clarify immediately that I really do not understand tech talk, so please be kind and not afraid to "dumb it down" so to speak. :)

And now I'll move onto my question...  I know there are a lot of posts in the forums that have to do with shortcuts, but I still can't find the answer I'm looking for.  I've now acquired enough notes that better organization of them has become essential, and I think have a handle on the concepts of stacking and nesting.

But here's the weird part, I have several shortcuts that I know I must have created at some point, but I cannot for the life of me remember how I did it!  I can rename the ones I already have, but can't make any new ones.  Would anyone please be able to tell me how to do this?

I'm using Windows 7.

Thank you!

Wordsgood

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the Forums.

Note shortcuts (on one device) are pretty easy - right click a note (1) in the Note List,  choose Copy Note Link,  and paste that link into another note (2).  You can now jump from note 2 to note 1 without passing Go.

It's doubtful that link will work on any other device,  because it points to the place on your local hard drive where the note is stored.  (There's network-related tekkernikkel reasons why it can work sometimes,  but the best way to find out is to try the link and see if it does...)

Note shortcuts that work on other devices require that you 'share' the note and copy its URL.  It then becomes Public,  which means anyone with that URL can see the content.

Hope that helps..

:)

Hi - welcome to the Forums.

Note shortcuts (on one device) are pretty easy - right click a note (1) in the Note List,  choose Copy Note Link,  and paste that link into another note (2).  You can now jump from note 2 to note 1 without passing Go.

It's doubtful that link will work on any other device,  because it points to the place on your local hard drive where the note is stored.

Not true. Evernote note links refer to the GUID (globally unique identifier) of the note within the database. So internal note links will work across all devices as long as the note being linked to is not in a local notebook on a desktop. However, some EN functions can reassign the GUID (such as merging two notes together which basically creates a new note comprised of both notes & then puts the two original in the trash) which can then cause the note links to be broken.  (Across all devices.)

Hi.  I started using Evernote a few months ago and have been searching the forums and knowledge base pages when I'm stuck, but this is the first time I've actually posted anything.

Allow me to clarify immediately that I really do not understand tech talk, so please be kind and not afraid to "dumb it down" so to speak. :)

And now I'll move onto my question...  I know there are a lot of posts in the forums that have to do with shortcuts, but I still can't find the answer I'm looking for.  I've now acquired enough notes that better organization of them has become essential, and I think have a handle on the concepts of stacking and nesting.

But here's the weird part, I have several shortcuts that I know I must have created at some point, but I cannot for the life of me remember how I did it!  I can rename the ones I already have, but can't make any new ones.  Would anyone please be able to tell me how to do this?

I'm using Windows 7.

Thank you!

Wordsgood

There are generic shortcuts that are generally added via third parties such as AutoHotKey or ActionWords. But I'm guessing you're talking about Evernote saved searches. Saved searches are created by making your search & then saving it with a descriptive name. 

post-48228-0-99903100-1389096936_thumb.j

Hi again.  Thank you both for the welcome and such a quick reply!

I don't think I was clear enough in my initial post.  I don't mean the note the Note Link function, which surprising I think I understand.   :lol:  I mean that regardless of whether or not I open Evernote on my android phone or on my laptop, I can see a Sidebar one the left side which lists, in the following descending order:

Announcements

Shortcuts --> This is what I'm referring to.

Notes

Notebooks

Just as when I click on a Notebook, when I click on one of the Shortcuts, the notes I've assigned to it will come up.  Hope that makes sense.  I've attached a file with a screenshot because for whatever reason I can't seem to make it paste directly into the post screen.

Sorry, I've been having major insomnia issues lately and it's definitely affecting my memory.  Well, that or I've been hanging around my Lab far too much and her natural ditziness if rubbing off... :D

post-167996-0-05339600-1389131753_thumb.

• Level 5*

Hi again - if you click and drag a tag, saved search,  or individual note to this bar,  it will create a 'shortcut' -  a link directly to that tag/ search/ note.  Right-click any of the entries already there for more options...

Archived