Feature Requests: Reminders: Bulk Change Due Date, Completion History, Reminder Milestones

couch bandit

Idea

These were written with the OS X client in mind, but hopefully the spirit of the updates could be reflected on the other clients as well.

Bulk Change Due Date

This will be extremely convenient for anyone trying to do something non-trivial with the Reminder feature. There is currently no alternative except to manually click each note, go to Reminder -> Change Date -> click calendar/click the text entry field and update it there. If you want to change 10 date-less reminders to be due at the end of the month, it's a big hassle.

• Users should be able to change the Due Date on multiple reminders at once.
    • When multiple notes are selected, the "multi-select" screen that appears in Snippet View should have a "Set Reminder Due Dates" field.
    • The right-click menu should have an "Add/Change Reminder Due Date" entry which changes to "Set Reminder Due Dates" when multiple notes are selected.
    • The "Note" menu should have an "Add/Change Reminder Due Date" entry which changes to "Set Reminder Due Dates" when multiple notes are selected.

Completion History

The current lack of history and searchability of completed reminders is contrary to Evernote's core premise of being able to find stuff based on any relevant vector. It's pretty reasonable to ask "Okay... what did I get done last week?", and I was honestly surprised to find that it is currently not possible.

• When a user marks a note reminder as Complete...
    1. The "Alarm" icon changes from blue to green.
    2. The completion is noted permanently on the Note somehow. Ideas:
      • A "Completed Date" field appears in the Note Info dialogue with today's date ("Completed:" would also show up next to "Created:" and "Updated:" in the main note view). This is much more invasive to code since it would get the Reminder model chocolate all up in the Note model peanut butter, but is much more preferable because it encourages searchability and has a cleaner appearance.
      • A History entry is created for the note that reads "Marked Complete by {User}"
      • A "completed" tag is automatically added to the Note. In Preferences -> Reminders, there is a checkbox called "Tag completed Notes" that toggles this behavior. When the checkbox is checked, Input A and Input B become enabled. Input A is a text box which is populated by default with "completed". Input B is a checkbox with the label "Append the current date to completion tags", which will result in completed Notes being tagged "completed 1/6/2014" for example.

Reminder Milestones

The Reminders feature is excellent, especially with the beautifully-implemented "Upcoming Reminders" list that appears in Snippet View.

I think a simple "Milestones" feature would make them even more functional and intuitive.

Basically a Milestone is an unspecified point in time that represents a bunch of other tasks being completed.

For example, you could have a "To-Do List" notebook, and create a Milestone Note for each month. Or if you're working on a home improvement project, you could have a Milestone for "Licenses and Raw Materials", another for "Basic Construction", and another for "Finishing Touches".

• When a user clicks on the gray Alarm icon for a Note with no reminder, the resulting popup now has two buttons. In addition to the "Add a Date" button, there is a "Set Milestone" button.
  • When a user clicks on the blue Alarm icon for a Note with a reminder, there is a fourth button that reads "Clear Milestone"/"Set Milestone" based on whether the Note is already a Milestone.
  • Milestone Reminders have a distinct background color in the "Upcoming Reminders" list, and their title appears in Bold-weighted font. They are otherwise functionally identical to normal Reminders in terms of setting dates, dragging to reorder, and notifications.
  • Nice-to-Have: Notes with Milestone Reminders have another button/icon somewhere that automatically updates their text to be a Table of Contents listing ONLY the Notes that are part of that Milestone, which is determined by the following rules:
    • A note is considered to be part of a Milestone if it...
      1. Appears ABOVE the Milestone in the "Upcoming Reminders" list (either by default positioning or by a user manually dragging it there)
      2. Does NOT appear above any other Milestones in the "Upcoming Reminders" list.
    • In other words, a Note can only be part of one Milestone at a time, and a Milestone is comprised of all Notes that appear BETWEEN that Milestone and either the next Milestone above it OR the top of the "Upcoming Reminders" list.
  • Nice-to-Have: When a Note is completed, if it is part of a Milestone according to the above rules, a link to it is added to a "Completed Reminders" list at the bottom of the Milestone Note. If the list does not exist, it is created. This is similar to the "Table of Contents" functionality, but on a Note-by-Note basis.

ALTERNATIVELY, there could be a lo-fi way of doing this by simply allowing Reminders to have some basic formatting applied on the "Upcoming Reminders" view. For example, if you select one or more Reminders on the "Upcoming Reminders" list, open the Color list, and select a color, the background color of that Note's entry would change to the selected color. It could conceivably work with the Font list too.

Thank you for your time!

- Max

21 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Bman2017 said:

Any feedback on this three year old request?

No indication from Evernote.
Personally I make use of the scripting layer and can do bulk changes like this

Any feedback on this three year old request??  Changing due dates on reminders is painfully slow and tedious.  Even a "move all to today or tomorrow" option would suffice.  If you have 15 reminders overdue, you have to change the due dates one by one.  Also, even setting the reminder date is tedious. Rather than having to click on the reminder date and then click "change date" to select a date:  How about just bringing up the calendar when you click on the date --- or add "today" or "tomorrow" to the drop down.  I really like Evernote, but for a high volume productivity suite, the reminders feature is like working in MS DOS (you older folks can relate!). 

• Level 5*
On 2016-10-10 at 11:41 PM, arik64 said:

this would be really great, especially since if you added a reminder without due date and complete it, it simply gets removed. This makes it hard to understand if the reminder was ever there let alone if it was completed. 

On 2016-10-11 at 3:33 PM, csihilling said:

Not sure if it is the same on the Mac, but there is a Reminder Done field that can be displayed in List View.  A search of reminderdonetime:* -remindertime:* should return all notes that had a reminder without a reminder date that have been marked as done.

Thats confirmed - Reminderdonetime is updated on the Mac and searchable; not visible in list view though

In fact, I have an applesript running nightly that uses that date and appends it to the title as in this example.  The reminder date gets appended to the end of the note

Task xxxx                   -----Completed: 2016/10/11

Title: Task xxxx
Notebook: @Inbox
Updated: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 3:40:08 PM
Created: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 3:39:46 PM
Reminder: 

Completed: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 3:40:20 PM

The script is documented here

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, arik64 said:

this would be really great, especially since if you added a reminder without due date and complete it, it simply gets removed. This makes it hard to understand if the reminder was ever there let alone if it was completed. 

Not sure if it is the same on the Mac, but there is a Reminder Done field that can be displayed in List View.  A search of reminderdonetime:* -remindertime:* should return all notes that had a reminder without a reminder date that have been marked as done.

• Level 5*
On January 6, 2014 at 2:06 PM, couch bandit said:

Bulk Change Due Date

Completion History

Reminder Milestones

This isn't a high priority for me, but if I needed it, I would use AppleScript on my Mac.  
I'm estimating under 30 minutes of work, and about 10 lines of code for the bulk date changes.

The completion history is something I need.
Currently, I manually append the completion date to the end of the title.
I'm working on a script to automate this, documented here 
-Project: Applescript - Evernote Reminders

>>It's pretty reasonable to ask "Okay... what did I get done last week?"/A "completed" tag is automatically added to the Note

I would use a search on ReminderDoneTime

• Level 5

Reminders that are somehow related - perhaps with Topology or Groupedness - would help with this. By "Topology" I mean "with dependencies".  So, for example a "dummy" reminder with dependencies on a group of other reminders would help.

But then I've been hanging around mainframe batch job schedulers too long... :-)

Another request that I haven't found anything on (using Mac and iOS versions):

Would love to have the option to set the default for the markup cover page to OFF. I highlight loads of PDFs and this cover page is more annoying than useful.

Thanks and sorry for the redundant request if I missed it somewhere else (multiple customer service interactions merely yielded "no, that isn't an option").

Archived