Adding multiple tags to a note

Is there an efficient way to add four or more tags to a note?

When I create a new note, I can add two tags with "<type tag>+Return" in the dashboard view, and a third in the automatic popup, but after that I have to click the down-down-down (nested v's) icon AND click again on the "click to add tag..." link for every subsequent tag.

The keyboard shortcut is a non-starter: I can never remember it.

• Level 5

I share your pain. It used to be so very easy with version 4.7. - type tag, press enter and repeat

But this new and improved version 5 makes adding multiple tags to an individual note more difficult.

I know drag-n-drop exist, but in general I find it both tedious and dangerous/easy-to-"select" the wrong target.

An fast and easy to navigate input method is needed.

I would like a pop-up panel listing all tags and filters. Similar to a tag cloud but all the same font and font size.  

The UI display should offer a choice between showing only those that meet all criteria (full drill-down) AND (partial drill-down) all in list using Color, bold, and/or italic could be used to highlight different classifications.

Tags currently assigned to the selected Note should be highlighted.  Tags would be added/removed to the selected Notes with a single click.  Multiple Notes could be selected and "managed" as once.

•  
  • Filter by currently-assigned vs all (vs unused?)             {black vs grey}
  • Filter by "file structure"/hierarchy = only in current Stack or Notebook   {bold vs normal}
  • Filter by tag hierarchy = nest tags (to visually group and filter) UI could show as outline or breadcrumbs with drop-down (preferred)
  • Filter by privacy/permission = personal/user-created vs business group or public group            {by color?}
  • Filter by frequency = recently used, frequently used, favorite/common, new?                                       {bold vs normal}

A user settings should exist to prevent accidental tags by selecting only existing tags.

• Add new tags quickly, (PREFERRED) providing a text box at the bottom (preferred) or top of list.
  • Add new tags quickly, a pop-up prompt for verification.
  • Rename of tags, (AFAIK currently done) require more than a single click, ex. right-click, Edit menu, long-press on mobile or similar.

A method to prevent accidentally removing tags:

• (as note-level property) A list "Locked" tags, requiring more than a single click, ex. right-click, Edit menu, long-press on mobile or similar.  It could be shown as highlighted individual tags in selection dialogs and the main Note window and in the Note Info/details be accessed via the Tags list.

I would also like to require a tag(s) from a user-defined list (think discrete/single tag = priority, delegate/owner, or multi-tag = project, financial accounting).  This would be a little more involved than a change in dialogs above.

This should exist (with the same functionality, possibly different layouts) for both desktop and mobile. 

• Level 5*

Is there an efficient way to add four or more tags to a note?

When I create a new note, I can add two tags with "<type tag>+Return" in the dashboard view, and a third in the automatic popup, but after that I have to click the down-down-down (nested v's) icon AND click again on the "click to add tag..." link for every subsequent tag.

The keyboard shortcut is a non-starter: I can never remember it.

If you're talking about the tag control note info panel above the current note, the number of tags that can be added via the dropdown depends on how wide an area you have available for the tag control (and also the length of your tags). To give yourself more space, you can 1) widen the note display area, at the expense of other panels (e.g. the left panel, where Shortcuts, Notebooks and Tags live) 2) remove labels from the icons that live at the right side of the tag control (Reminders, Share, Info, Trash), and/or 3) remove any or all of those icons altogether. Options #2 and #3 are available by right-clicking in the icon area, and picking the appropriate operation from the menu.
  • Level 5

Jefito, thanks for the tip. I was stuck because I was going at it from the menu in the upper left.

>Tools >Customize Toolbar...
To customize your toolbar, add buttons by dragging them to the toolbar. Drag them off to remove

But I couldn't drag them off.

When I tried your suggestion by right-clicking in the Icon area in the upper right (between the icons), I was able to get rid of both the Reminder icon and the Share icon. Killing the labels helped.

And toggling the Left Panel closed (F10) helps a lot.

A big difference - thank you.

Windows Desktop client

Agreed, a "Show Labels" or "Show Icons Only" option for the Note detail pane would be excellent.  The "Show Labels" and "Customize Toolbar" seems to only apply to the main toolbar. 

A "Show All Tags" option should exist. If too many exist, wrap on multiple rows.

• Level 5

Jefito, thanks for the tip. I was stuck because I was going at it from the menu in the upper left.

>Tools >Customize Toolbar...

To customize your toolbar, add buttons by dragging them to the toolbar. Drag them off to remove

But I couldn't drag them off.

When I tried your suggestion by right-clicking in the Icon area in the upper right (between the icons), I was able to get rid of both the Reminder icon and the Share icon. Killing the labels helped.

And toggling the Left Panel closed (F10) helps a lot.

A big difference - thank you.

Update:

I've been in contact with Evernote Support. They understand my comments (tags visible in version 4.7) and said they will pass the info on to the development team.

Here is a screen grab comparison of version 5.1 that I sent them.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/98891f00-ce76-404d-942d-0dc52914a604/dba38cc74bb3e344fe327baac238b262

• 3 months later...

I'd like there to be a way to save a set of tags I'm using to label articles, and maybe even include the currently selected notebook where I'm saving similar notes.

When I'm researching articles for a particular project or paper I'm working on, I find myself using the same tags, and saving notes to the same notebook, over and over again. I wish there were a little check box "save current set", or something, so as I go from article to article found in different sources, I just click a button "use current set" and the article is tagged and saved in the notebook I'm using.

I could see this feature being a temporary option, i.e. per session, or set to expire X-hours after last use, whatever.

And to continue with my feature request idea, I'l like the option to open a representative note (for the same project) some time later (next day, next week, whatever), and be able to check box "save current set" and it grabs all the meta data again to continue the research.

If something like this already is possible in Evernote, please tell me.

Thanks, Rich

• Level 5*

I'd like there to be a way to save a set of tags I'm using to label articles, and maybe even include the currently selected notebook where I'm saving similar notes.

When I'm researching articles for a particular project or paper I'm working on, I find myself using the same tags, and saving notes to the same notebook, over and over again. I wish there were a little check box "save current set", or something, so as I go from article to article found in different sources, I just click a button "use current set" and the article is tagged and saved in the notebook I'm using.

I could see this feature being a temporary option, i.e. per session, or set to expire X-hours after last use, whatever.

And to continue with my feature request idea, I'l like the option to open a representative note (for the same project) some time later (next day, next week, whatever), and be able to check box "save current set" and it grabs all the meta data again to continue the research.

Thanks, Rich

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your issue properly, but couldn't you just put all the project notes into one notebook (as you're already doing) and skip tagging (at least for tags that all notes in that notebook are going to get) until the end? I.e., once you've got all the notes or you are finished with the project, select everything in the notebook and apply all the tags at once.

• Level 5*

. . .

Thanks, Rich

Rich, it's not clear how you are creating your Notes, but if you're using the Web Clipper, you might try Evernote Clearly.  It let's you preset one or more Tags to be applied to every web capture. 

Would this help?

• Level 5*

Windows Desktop client

Agreed, a "Show Labels" or "Show Icons Only" option for the Note detail pane would be excellent.  The "Show Labels" and "Customize Toolbar" seems to only apply to the main toolbar.

This already exists. Right click anywhere to the right of "Click to add tag..." and you'll see...
  • Level 5*

Select the first note, then select the notes that you want to tag. Use the Ctrl+Alt+T shortcut key to bring up the Assign Tags dialog. Use the Hide unassigned tags checkbox to focus on the tags used by these notes. Now you can tag all of the notes identically pretty easily.

That is a perfect illustration of the current situation!

There's a certain size threshold the tag control wants. If the area is too small, it collapses. It does appear there is a bug since the drop down arrow also goes away.

To work around that either:

1) Make the window wider

2) Turn off text labels

• 3 years later...

List all of your keywords and phrases; separating them with commas.  (Example: bread, whole wheat, rye, toaster strudel, pumpernickel)  Paste the entire list into the "add tag" field.  The commas split each of them into separate keywords.  This makes it considerably easier and faster to add multiple tags to a note.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, gmbhbls said:

Paste the entire list into the "add tag" field

That's cool; it also works on the Mac platform
It assigns existing tags, but I see a problem with it creating new tags on the fly
I have more control selecting from a list

Archived