[Feature Request] Auto title in android like in windows

Manuel

Idea

27 replies to this idea

Totally and completely agree!

Creating notes through the voice command in Android is super cool, but it doesn't have nearly the impact it could if my voiced words could be the title of the note.  Right now I just get a long list of notes all titled 'Note to Self' and I have to dig into the note text and manually rename each note with the subject.  It would be so much better if I could say 'Note to self, buy broccoli at store' and the Note would be titled 'buy broccoli at store' telling me all I need to know from list view.

• Like 3

Yes please add this as an option - I use it all the time in Windows Evernote & its driving me crazy not having in android - to the point I am starting to use other apps on my phone! (and I truly love Evernote - Premium Member for two years!)

• Like 3

I would also like to see this feature implemented.

I use Evernote in tandem with Zendone and it's synchronization feature, and having the title auto-filled would make this integration much more streamlined.

As it is now, when going through Zendone's inbox, I need to manually select the text from the synced note and paste it into the yellow task title field.

Also, I use Google voice's note to self integration with Evernote. If I make a "Note to self', the text will always go straight into the body and there's no way to decide what the title should be. The current solution of "change the title manually" is not an option here, and having the first line become the title would be extremely convenient.

If this were made to be an optional setting in the android app, it would make using Evernote that much more simple and convenient. Not to mention, it seems like a very quick change to implement.

I've seen a decent amount of people asking about this, some from 2012. If there's a specific reason why the Evernote devs can't or have decided not to implement this, I'd appreciate hearing their reasons, because otherwise it will feel like these requests are all just being ignored.

• Like 1

Absolutely agree with this.  Please provide the ability for a note captured in Android via Google Now (e.g., note to self) to have the dictated note go in the title of the note, not just the body of the note.

Totally and completely agree!

Creating notes through the voice command in Android is super cool, but it doesn't have nearly the impact it could if my voiced words could be the title of the note.  Right now I just get a long list of notes all titled 'Note to Self' and I have to dig into the note text and manually rename each note with the subject.  It would be so much better if I could say 'Note to self, buy broccoli at store' and the Note would be titled 'buy broccoli at store' telling me all I need to know from list view.

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn't mind this as a user controlled option on a per note basis only. I prefer the auto standard be letting me title notes as I see fit. That way I have a much better chance of later knowing what it's about without having to open it when scanning my list of notes. ☺

I support adding first-line as an autotitle option in Android  (currently the only two choices are location/calendar, or off).  I use this feature heavily on the Windows platform and really miss it when I'm away from my desk and using Evernote on my Android phone.

Been wanting this for years as well. OneNote figured it out from the beginning, and i use OneNote for half of my notes for this reason and other features onenote has (I use OneNote for work related notes). Evernote is used for the other half (personal notes and various reference). 

Onenote also has the screen overlay button always on top for quick capture of a note on mobile, which is an amazing feature. 

Come on. 4 years now and we're still waiting? This Auto-title by first line is how it works in windows. Why not the same option in android? And an *option* would be fine (like the other two current Auto-title options which are offered). 

That addresses those who don't want this, and further, the feature could only save the first line as the title if no other title was added before the note was saved. 

It's not just "an extra step" to do this ourselves. It's 8!--realize that what you're typing is in the body, tap it, choose the android copy/paste feature's icon for more options, choose "select all" , copy, click in title, paste, click back in note to continue. That's vs 0 steps on Windows. 

(and yes, one could say, just click in the title field before typing, but if we don't enter notes in the android app often, it's just not that simple, if you're used to the windows app's handling this. If it started out typing in the note, as a different option, maybe that would be different.) 

I've run into this a few dozen times the past few years and am just shocked this remains unresolved since first raised then. 

On 22/01/2018 at 7:14 PM, carehart said:

Come on. 4 years now and we're still waiting? This Auto-title by first line is how it works in windows. Why not the same option in android? And an *option* would be fine (like the other two current Auto-title options which are offered). 

That addresses those who don't want this, and further, the feature could only save the first line as the title if no other title was added before the note was saved. 

It's not just "an extra step" to do this ourselves. It's 8!--realize that what you're typing is in the body, tap it, choose the android copy/paste feature's icon for more options, choose "select all" , copy, click in title, paste, click back in note to continue. That's vs 0 steps on Windows. 

(and yes, one could say, just click in the title field before typing, but if we don't enter notes in the android app often, it's just not that simple, if you're used to the windows app's handling this. If it started out typing in the note, as a different option, maybe that would be different.) 

I've run into this a few dozen times the past few years and am just shocked this remains unresolved since first raised then. 

Evernote on iOS got this feature in the latest update. Looks like Evernote doesn't give the same attention to its Android app

Edited by MayurH
Misspell
8 minutes ago, MayurH said:

Evernote on iOS got this feature in the lastest update. Looks like Evernote doesn't give the same attention to its Android app

On the other hand, Evernote Android got a slider to control font size a few months ago, iOS still doesn't have it. The "unified editor" isn't very unified.

Yup, I switch between windows, web and android on a regular basis. Would love it if editor behaved the same across all platforms, or at least had the option to configure it the same way (allowing for different defaults perhaps).

On 1/31/2018 at 3:49 PM, MayurH said:

Evernote on iOS got this feature in the latest update. Looks like Evernote doesn't give the same attention to its Android app

It's ridiculous because Mac windows and ios do this. So some of my notes have proper titles but most are just untitled notes

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, TripleYoThreat said:

So some of my notes have proper titles but most are just untitled notes

Do you need assistance on how to title your notes?

On 5/17/2020 at 10:41 AM, DTLow said:

Do you need assistance on how to title your notes?

Dtlow, it seems you did not read any of the other msgs in this thread. 95% of them express how the "assistance" we seek is simply to have EN on Android do what EN on Windows does, which is create the note title out of the first line for us

And here we are now 6 years since the first post, and still the feature is missing (the bug/annoyance remains). And with the coming new Windows client, we could even lose this feature there (since it seems a goal is a more "unified" client experience). 

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, carehart said:

how the "assistance" we seek is simply to have EN on Android do what EN on Windows does, which is create the note title out of the first line for us

That could save time; currently we create the note title separately

>>And here we are now 6 years since the first post

This request hasn't received much interest
To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion
The request currently has 15 votes