Remove/simplify formatting problem

Hi, is this a bug or is it like that by design? I have a text with mixed formatting. Then I selected a part of it then simplified the formatting. When I did, the entire note, not only the selected part, got 'simplified'. The same for remove formatting, except that this brings the note back to a raw Courier-font plain text, and not the default font.

How to simplify/remove the formatting only for the selected portion of the note, not all of it?

Tks :)

• Level 5*

Hi - you're correct that simplify / remove affect the whole note,  not just selected text.  (In some cases this would be inevitable anyway - removing part of an html formatted page causes 'unpredictable' - and usually undesirable - results.)

To deal with part of a note only - cut/ paste that part into a text-only app like Notepad and then back again...

Thanks gazumped!

To deal with part of a note only - cut/ paste that part into a text-only app like Notepad and then back again...

So, are all the notes actually stored in html format? I know we can export all of them to html, but are they natively html? If it is, then it's not a requestable feature. :(

I think we can all agree this would come handy. Manually doing the copy-past-back-and-forth is very tedious when it comes to more than a few portions of text :(

• 5 months later...

Thanks gazumped!

So, are all the notes actually stored in html format? I know we can export all of them to html, but are they natively html? If it is, then it's not a requestable feature. :(

I think we can all agree this would come handy. Manually doing the copy-past-back-and-forth is very tedious when it comes to more than a few portions of text :(

I think it *is* a requestable feature.  WHYSIWYG editors that work on HTML are difficult to be sure, and most of them (incl. Evernote's) don't work very well when it comes to making cut/paste and formatting work together.  But difficult is not impossible.  The Windows paradigm of asking *at the time of paste* whether the desired formatting is None, match the destination, match the source, etc. gets it mostly right, because at that moment it's possible to tell which formatting came in with the new content and which was there before.  Afterward the distinction is lost.

I hope EN has this on their to-do list somewhere.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I'm also running into this issue.

I can select a particular piece of text, and if I say "clear formatting," it deletes the formatting of the entire surrounding paragraph as well.

This is a bug.  Evernote is literally the only program in the ENTIRE WORLD that behaves this way—there is NO other program that, when told to remove formatting from a selected region, decides to expand the region and clear formatting.

As an example, imagine you were using Microsoft Word, and you decided to make a word bold. You would probably be quite surprised and annoyed if Word made your entire paragraph bold too! But of course, Word does not behave this way. Neither does any other program.

I would love to see "clear formatting" either work on the selection, or for Evernote to pop up a dialog box saying "Unfortunately, you cannot clear the selection on this text. Please purchase a separate program, paste your text into that program, and then copy the text from there back into Evernote."

• Level 5

I don't know about all the software in the entire world, but it is true that Clear Formatting does some odd things. For instance, it doesn't remove things like italics and underlining; but if you have an italicized word in the middle of a paragraph selected and press Ctrl+Space, it leaves the word italicized but puts it in a separate paragraph. And, as you say, it applies whatever it does to an entire paragraph, not only to the selected text. It's clearly meant to deal with some specific cases, and it should be clearer what those cases are. There is, of course, an option to Paste and Match Style, which does work correctly, but obviously strips out all formatting in the pasted material.

• 8 months later...

I'm using desktop version 6.5.4.4720 and use Evernote a LOT for code snippets.

Is there a 'code more' that would be fixed width (courrier or system) and would  keep my indentation/tabs *without* replacing everything by ransdomly assigned space equivalences? 

Maybe an optional feature like we sometime see in wikis and forums: a "code" mode?

PS: I'm a paid/subscribed user.

• Level 5*

Hi.  There's the 'code block' style (Ctrl SHift L) which is a very basic coding environment,  or you can pick your editor-of-choice and atach the document files to a note (maybe with an unformatted copy and paste into the body of the note for search purposes...)

Archived