(Archived) windows 8 - not able to edit image in note

andymcevoy

Hi all,

Can't seem to figure this out in windows 8.

With windows 7 I would open a note that had an image (or multiple images), then right click the image and open it for editing in paint. After resizing or cropping I'd just save and the note would update with the edits to the picture.

This doesn't happen in windows 8, when I open the image from evernote, the image gets a generic 'picture[#].jpg' name and updates are never recongnized. If I try markup with skitch, I just get a blank canvas...

any ideas on how to get my image editing back to normal?

looked through the log file:

16:11:29 [4040] Opened default external editor for resource 2959/0, file "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1]"
16:11:30 [4040] External file "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1]", resource 2959/0, is unchanged
16:11:30 [4040] Renamed external file "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1]" to "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1].backup"
16:11:31 [4568] External file "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1]", resource 2959/0, is gone, forgetting...
16:12:07 [4040] Opened default external editor for resource 2959/0, file "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1]"
16:12:09 [4040] External file "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1]", resource 2959/0, is unchanged
16:12:09 [4040] Renamed external file "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1]" to "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1].backup"
16:12:10 [4568] External file "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1]", resource 2959/0, is gone, forgetting...
16:12:45 [4040] Opened default external editor for resource 2959/0, file "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1]"
16:12:47 [4040] External file "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1]", resource 2959/0, is unchanged
16:12:47 [4040] Renamed external file "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1]" to "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1].backup"
16:12:48 [4568] External file "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1]", resource 2959/0, is gone, forgetting...
16:13:10 [4040] Opened default external editor for resource 2963/0, file "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1]"
16:13:12 [4040] External file "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1]", resource 2963/0, is unchanged
16:13:12 [4040] Renamed external file "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1]" to "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1].backup"
16:13:13 [4568] External file "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1]", resource 2963/0, is gone, forgetting...
16:13:20 [4040] Opened default external editor for resource 2965/0, file "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1]"
16:13:22 [4040] External file "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1]", resource 2965/0, is unchanged
16:13:22 [4040] Renamed external file "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1]" to "S:\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\Picture[1].backup"

this just goes on and on while I tried to figure out what was happening.

• Level 5*

Windows 8 Touch,  or Windows 8 Desktop?  And why is it referencing S:\ ?  What happened to C:\ ?

If I have any problems with picture editing or resizing I just copy and paste the new version over the old one..

Windows 8 Desktop.

My laptop had limited space on C, so told it to use my S drive during installation. My work desktop and home desktop have a typical installation, but run windows 7, so I'm not sure if it's a windows problem or a path problem.

I realize I could do that, but it's an extra step that gets annoying after a while.

• Level 5*

The potential path issue is why I asked.  If you edit a picture,  a temporary file is stored in an Attachments folder.  If you overwrite that file,  the note gets updated.  If your system has an unusual setup path maybe that's the problem.

I think I found the problem. For this particular set of images, I used the Evernote app on my phone to take and save multiple pictures to a note.

My usual procedure is to just let my camera upload them to dropbox then create a note by adding multiple attachements on the desktop...

Not sure why there's a difference in the two methods.

• Level 5*

You're right - I posted a note earlier today in another thread about image editing problems generally - if you take the picture with the Android camera,  it's not a standard JPG file that's attached to the note.  You can edit it if you right-click and choose a suitable image editor,  but you can't then save it back 'into' the note.  You have to copy and paste it into the note to replace the original.  This seems to have happened only in the last update,  so hopefully it will get fixed soon...  meantime you might want to raise a support ticket so they can keep all these threads together..

Archived