Evernote doesn't update edited Pages attachment

anjoschu

Idea

Evernote lets you open attachments in another application, edit them, save them, and automatically re-imports/updates the edited attachment.

Alas, with Apple Pages, this only seems to work one time out of four. Has anyone else noticed this problem/can someone reproduce?

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a note

2. Attach a Pages document to the note. Make it display inline.

3. Open the attached document in Pages by double-clicking the icon.

4. Change a letter in the Pages document, save it.

5. Observe whether the inline view of the Pages document updates in Evernote. If yes, repeat from step 1.

On my setup, it worked (updated the document) the first time I tested it, but then no more.

Interestingly, double-clicking the attachment icon does open the modified version of the document (Evernote's edit export, I guess). But syncing and verifying with Evernote Web shows that the document has not been updated in Evernote.

I'm on a 2007 Macbook Pro with Mavericks.

Edit: When deleting the file which is being opened in Pages from the temporary evernote exports folder, it works again (but only once). Looking forward to hearing if others can reproduce the problem.

Edit 2: I'm using Pages 4.3 (iWork 09), not the dreaded "new" version, which uses a different file format.

5 replies to this idea

Any files which are zipped as attachments to a note cannot be updated within Evernote. If you are using the new version of Pages, these documents are now zipped because of some format issue which has not yet been resolved, though Evernote says it is aware and working on a solution. Old pages documents, if opened and edited through the old version of Pages, should update properly. 

"First, EN is not really a collaboration tool for more than one reason.  One of the most prominent reasons is because two users cannot modify the same note, at the same time without someone's changes getting overwritten.  If you need a true collaboration tool, Evernote is not it. "  (from http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/42870-why-i-cant-use-evernote-for-collaboration/)

More generally, Evernote fails to handle changes to underlying documents successfully and those difficulties prevent its use for collaboration (and also lead to data loss in notes even on the same device under some circumstances when the local database has not recognized that the attached document has been edited). Support indicates  that "it is a bug."

Does anyone know if the problem with new pages has been sorted out?

I write a doc/ letter using the new pages on my iMac.

I open the Evernote app on the iMac ( running mavericks )

Drag the pages file into my Evernote account. The file is shown.

However.......

When I open the same file on my ipad or iphone it only opens as a zip file which just keeps loading. I can't see the file.

All software is up to date.

Please help me!

Thanks for the responses so far. :-)

Any files which are zipped as attachments to a note cannot be updated within Evernote. If you are using the new version of Pages, these documents are now zipped because of some format issue which has not yet been resolved, though Evernote says it is aware and working on a solution. Old pages documents, if opened and edited through the old version of Pages, should update properly. 

Good catch, thanks! I'm using the "old" version of Pages (pre-zip). It used to work, strangely.

"First, EN is not really a collaboration tool for more than one reason.  One of the most prominent reasons is because two users cannot modify the same note, at the same time without someone's changes getting overwritten.  If you need a true collaboration tool, Evernote is not it. "  (from http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/42870-why-i-cant-use-evernote-for-collaboration/)

More generally, Evernote fails to handle changes to underlying documents successfully and those difficulties prevent its use for collaboration (and also lead to data loss in notes even on the same device under some circumstances when the local database has not recognized that the attached document has been edited). Support indicates  that "it is a bug."

Hmm, in my situation, it's not about collaboration. I'm the only one using Evernote (only one client in this case, on one machine).

Does anyone know if the problem with new pages has been sorted out?

I write a doc/ letter using the new pages on my iMac.
I open the Evernote app on the iMac ( running mavericks )
Drag the pages file into my Evernote account. The file is shown.
However.......
When I open the same file on my ipad or iphone it only opens as a zip file which just keeps loading. I can't see the file.

All software is up to date.

Please help me!

To me, this seems like a different problem, my dear crossposter.  ;)

Same problem as above (and same poster). Still not the problem I have. Good idea to refer to the original thread BTW.

What I'm wondering: Did anyone try/was anyone able to reproduce the problem using the steps described in the original post?

Archived