"Modify" privileges in shared notebooks - Useta could, now I can't

AverageJoe

Idea

Hello,

First time poster here. I don't use many features in Evernote, primarily just storing text reminders to myself. You may have correctly surmised I am a Free (not Premium) user.

Two months ago or so, I got my wife to create an account so we could share a notebook between us. She did. I shared. She accepted the invite. Then I was able to give her permission to modify notes in that notebook. Viola!

Last week I created another notebook to share with her, based around a different topic. I shared. She accepted. Now I can only give her "view" privileges. Apparently for her to be allowed to modify, one of us must join as a premium member.

I'm wondering why now? The first notebook, shared less than two months ago, I was able to give her Modify rights immediately, and on two free accounts. Still works too. She can modify notes in that notebook still. On the new notebook, View options only.  What changed and when?

I searched online for gripes about this problem, hoping to see an article saying when it happened. Everything I came across was from 2012. Did I miss something? Was the Premium requirement part of a particular version upgrade?

Don't get me wrong. I'm a Free user, I get it. And I don't begrudge EN's right to charge for this feature. I just wish I could understand why 6-8 weeks ago I could, and now I can't.

Thanks.

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Free account users can assign edit priviledges on 1 (one) notebook only.  To add more editable notebooks you need to be a Premium user...

(And yes,  this is a change;  previously Free users could NOT allow editable notebooks at all.)

Hi gazumped:

Thanks for the info. Do you know when this change took place? I can not find any official  information from Evernote.

I think this changed occurred only in the last month or so. Many of us forum users were also stumped when many free users came here with exactly the same complaint as "AverageJoe". An Evernote employee chimed in to notify us of the change. 

To be clear, the change is as follows:

Originally:

Free Users could share infinite notebooks with other users WITHOUT modify privileges. (Share with read-only privileges for invited user - INFINITE)

Free Users could NOT share ANY notebooks with other users and offer modify privileges. (Share with modify privileges - ZERO)

Now (As of about a month or two ago):

Free Users can share infinite notebooks with other users WITHOUT modify privileges. (Share with read-only privileges for invited user - INFINITE - So the same as in the past)

Free users can share ONE notebook with other users WITH modify privileges. (Share with modify privileges - ONE - so an improvement over the past system)

This seems to have been more of a "silent change". 

• Level 5*

Hi gazumped:

Thanks for the info. Do you know when this change took place? I can not find any official  information from Evernote.

There is no official word about this. It was found by a user a few days back and confirmed by a developer. I have listed other (confirmed and unconfirmed) parameters of the service on my blog.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169

• Level 5*

Free Users could share infinite notebooks with other users WITHOUT modify privileges. (Share with read-only privileges for invited us

Not exactly. The only "unlimited" or "infinite" aspect of sharing appears to be the number of people who can join a public notebook.

The notebook limit is 250. You can share up to 250 (Premium or Free). Public notebooks (open to everyone) can be joined by an unlimited (apparently) number of people. Private notebooks can only be joined by up to 250 people (Premium or Free).

Free Users could share infinite notebooks with other users WITHOUT modify privileges. (Share with read-only privileges for invited us

Not exactly. The only "unlimited" or "infinite" aspect of sharing appears to be the number of people who can join a public notebook.The notebook limit is 250. You can share up to 250 (Premium or Free). Public notebooks (open to everyone) can be joined by an unlimited (apparently) number of people. Private notebooks can only be joined by up to 250 people (Premium or Free).

Hi Grumpy,

You are right, thanks for clarifying. I was being a little haphazard with my writing!

• Level 5*

Not exactly. The only "unlimited" or "infinite" aspect of sharing appears to be the number of people who can join a public notebook.The notebook limit is 250. You can share up to 250 (Premium or Free). Public notebooks (open to everyone) can be joined by an unlimited (apparently) number of people. Private notebooks can only be joined by up to 250 people (Premium or Free).

Hi Grumpy,

You are right, thanks for clarifying. I was being a little haphazard with my writing!

No worries. I am just nitpicking :) You are always quite helpful in the forums, and your posts are very much appreciated. Keep up the good work!

On a side note, Evernote ought to considered unlimited notebooks, sharing, and joining. I imagine (though I have no knowledge) that this would require some back-end work on their part, but it would make the service so much simpler to use.

Archived