Sending emails with PDF attachments thru Evernote

I have tried to send emails containing PDF's to other parties with no success.  Does the receiving party need to have Evernote to open the PDF?  I use a MacBook Pro.  Most of the people I send these emails to use PC's.  Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks in advance.

• Level 5*

Did you share notes containing these PDFs?  If not,  how did you try to bring them to another party's attention and what exactly went wrong - could they not open the file on their computer?

I tried to email a PDF document to a client.  I emailed it from Evernote.  My client does not have Evernote and could not open the PDF.  I tried to email it again to others I know do not have Evernote (as a test) and they could not open it.   They received the email.  They could read my message but could not open the PDF.   All this led me to believe that people must have an Evernote account to open an PDF sent from Evernote.   Just trying to confirm that.

Thanks in advance!

• Level 5*

If you mail from Evernote (Share > Send by email) AFAIK its PDF content will be available to anyone receiving that email. I just sent myself a note containing a PDF and it's sitting there within the email and opens normally.  No Evernote accounts involved.

Nope, they do not need an Evernote account to open pdf content.  They also do not need to have the EN client installed either (just checked)

Tim, if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a few questions.  :)

When you said you sent the email to others, what exactly happened when they tried and opened the pdf?  I'm especially curious about error messages or responses.  Even a complete lack of response (where the computer reacts, but does nothing) is something I'm curious to know.

I am also curious if the pdfs are plain or if they are encrypted, password locked, etc.

Edit for additional commentary: Ran a quick test...I sent to an alternate email address a pdf marked up with Skitch.  I was still able to open it up and read it without EN or Skitch on this PC.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*

It's because of issues like this, as well as not having a record of the email being sent nor an address book to choose from, that I always send email from my Evernote account only to myself.  Then I forward it to the intended recipients.

Archived