(Archived) Can't open encrypted notes in web version

I have to use the web version on my Linux netbook and while I can find my encrypted notes, when I click on the encrypted note icon, it doesn't give me an opportunity to enter a password. Are encrypted notes not allowed to be viewed on the web version?

The web interface does not currently allow you to encrypt or decrypt. It would not be secure to do this encryption/decryption on our servers, because then we'd see a copy of your secret passphrase, so we'd need to implement this entirely in the web browser. This would be possible, but is a lot more tricky, so we haven't done it yet.

If you don't allow encryption in your web version, this seriously reduces the value of the subscription I paid. I use a mixture of Windows and Linux machines. The problem would be solved, of course, if you provided a full Linux client. Are you planning to do this? When?

Thanks

We're not currently planning to build a Linux desktop application ourselves, but a number of different people have asked for API keys to attempt do build their own open-source client.

We don't support Evernote on Linux+Wine, but a number of people have said that it largely works for them.

Archived