Share vs Save buttons

vertigo254

Idea

6 replies to this idea

I can't figure out the difference between these 2 buttons. When I accidentally click "Share" when I mean to "Save" I can't see where it might be "Sharing" but it does "Save". Pretty confusing. How do I "Unshare"?

I can't figure out the difference between these 2 buttons. When I accidentally click "Share" when I mean to "Save" I can't see where it might be "Sharing" but it does "Save". Pretty confusing. How do I "Unshare"?

The difference:

Save: Saves the clipping to the notebook you selected (or the default notebook if you haven't otherwise specified). This note is not shread. 

Share: Saves the clipping to the notebook you selected (or the default notebook if you haven't otherwise specified). This note is SHARED and you are given the opportunity to copy the link to the note or the source upon hitting the "share" button. 

To stop sharing, locate the note (it should be in whatever notebook you told it to clip to, also check your default notebook), and click the blue share arrow (mac) or blue dot triangle (windows) and select "stop sharing". 

Hi-- feature request here.  

Would it be possible to switch the share and save buttons so that save is on top?  I use it a lot more than share and it makes the new version more cumbersome, at least for me.

I filed a Support Ticket regarding this issue on Safari a few weeks ago.  Just want to note here that the problem is that the two options are given equal billing (measured by screen real-estate), which is incommensurate with their use and utility.  Swapping the function of the two buttons will not have enough of an effect to resolve the problem.  (In fact, it is almost always smoother to select the last item in a series than the first or any one in between.)

My work-around has been to use Keyboard Maestro macros to click the Safari toolbar icon (⌥⌘i) and to click the "Save" tile on the activated Web Clipper (⌥⌘o).  In addition to improving the Web Clipper UI to better represent and meet the user's needs, Evernote would do well to add keyboard shortcuts for these actions.

Enter on the keyboard is always mapped to SAVE unless you have focus in a text field or a dialog open. 

Yes.  That's why I needed the macro to click the "Save" button after changing any of the options in the Safari Web Clipper.  It "saves" the step of having to close the open dialog in order to make the "Save" tile actively mapped to the {Enter} key.

In the cases where the Evernote Web Clipper proposes the desired settings (for Notebook and for Tags)*, my key-chords using the same modifier keys and two keys next to each other ("i" and "o", modified with ⌥ and ⌘) is much easier to perform than one key-chord followed by {Enter} followed by a visual check to see that I didn't have a text field or dialog open.

*Kudos here: the Web Clipper does a fantastic job of guessing where I want to store the current clipping, and with which Tags.

Archived