Not able to edit images attached to notes

Damiqib

Something happened a few updates ago that made working with images in notes a lot harder...

Before when I right-clicked on an image, there was multiple application choises visible under "Open with...", now there is none... This is propably due to the fact that temporary images don't seem have an extension anymore: before "temp-image.jpg" and now just "temp-image". This causes most image editing application to cough and reject opening the image as they don't know the type of the image.

post-171221-0-37164900-1388042532_thumb.

Before I have used just plain old Windows 7 Paint to edit images, as I normally need nothing else than cropping and rotating... Now after this problem came, I've tried more than ten different programs (including Picasa, Irfanview, Paint.net, GIMP, etc...) and none of them works anymore (not even Paint) as none of them is either capable of opening the image or in the end after saving the image, the changes are not reflected back to Evernote!

Is it just me, or what?!

Windows 7, Evernote 5.1.0.2217

Something happened a few updates ago that made working with images in notes a lot harder...

Before when I right-clicked on an image, there was multiple application choises visible under "Open with...", now there is none... This is propably due to the fact that temporary images don't seem have an extension anymore: before "temp-image.jpg" and now just "temp-image". This causes most image editing application to cough and reject opening the image as they don't know the type of the image.

attachicon.gifScreenClip.png

Before I have used just plain old Windows 7 Paint to edit images, as I normally need nothing else than cropping and rotating... Now after this problem came, I've tried more than ten different programs (including Picasa, Irfanview, Paint.net, GIMP, etc...) and none of them works anymore (not even Paint) as none of them is either capable of opening the image or in the end after saving the image, the changes are not reflected back to Evernote!

Is it just me, or what?!

Windows 7, Evernote 5.1.0.2217

It's not just you.

• Level 5*

In windows,  drag and drop a problem file to the desktop,  rename to .JPG and try again..

That's not the problem, they already have the proper extension. Evernote did this once before a few years ago.

? The OP says they don't have an extension,  hence my confusion.  Any clues on how Evernote fixed whatever it was they did before?

I have a feeling that this has something to do with the latest Android-update. I checked my notes and it seems that images at notes created prior to 22.12.2013 work fine, but the ones after that don't!

Attached is an image of an image right-clicked that was created 21.12.2013 and all options are shown!

Screen_Clip.png

This is ENML from a note that works:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?><!DOCTYPE en-note SYSTEM "http://xml.evernote.com/pub/enml2.dtd"><en-note style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;"> <div> </div> <en-media type="image/jpeg" hash="597200ed0a194b6c4c94eab5d8b1fdd4" /> <en-media type="image/jpeg" hash="b3308dfe273c0ed5ca7f4f7fa0dd8941" /></en-note>

This is ENML from a note that does not work:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?><!DOCTYPE en-note SYSTEM "http://xml.evernote.com/pub/enml2.dtd"><en-note style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;"> <div>  <en-media type="image/jpeg" hash="1c605993ee0a2f05420312222af015eb" /> </div> <div>  <en-media type="image/jpeg" hash="01ea6a5a85dd1358622626a7000e0a56" /> </div> <div> </div></en-note>

Both originate from Evernote Android and as far as I'm concerned no problems in ENML.

Did some more research and found the problem with Evernote debugger at https://www.evernote.com/debug/!

Image from a working note:

Works.png

Image from a broken note:

Broken.png

At "ResourceAttributes" latter one has a fileName:"Kuva" which translates in English to "Image". So I would say that this is definately an issue with the latest Android update as all my images-notes originate from Android. My Android Evernote version is 5.6.1 (I think?).

So this is definately a BUG! How to proceed from here before I have thousands of broken notes with images!!!

Well, I seem to have spoken too soon. :) I just tested it again today, and the results are not good.

I generally use the Android App called CamScanner to input picture items into Evernote.  That app generates JPG files that are then added as a new note in Evernote.

I just scanned two (2) different images. The first one appears to have loaded properly - meaning I can "right click" it and edit it, etc. If I attempt a "SAVE AS" it shows the proposed file name with a PNG extension. (In Android, this shows as a PNG file.)

However, the second one - which I created using the exact same steps CANNOT be edited by using "right click". If I attempt a "SAVE AS" on this picture, it shows a proposed file name with a BLANK extension. (In Android, this shows as a JPEG file.)

So, something is definitely not working consistently.

I have created SUPPORT TICKET # 291865 asking them to investigate the issue.

+1

I am also having this problem. Photos taken with Evernote for Android cannot be edited or opened from Evernote for Windows. This includes Skitch and all other applications. Works after renaming the file. IrfanView highlights this problem and offers to fix it (see screenshots below).

Never had this issue in the past. Running Windows 7 with Evernote 5.1.0.2217 (270217) Public. Android Evernote 5.7.

nc8OVV6.jpg

4oiklQj.jpg

MXkEZDO.png

+1

I snap pictures with the Page Camera & regular camera with my Android app all the time, and, view them on my Windows 5.x desktop client.  Yet, recently, I've started experiencing the same thing.

Thanks in advance for a quick fix.   :)

• Level 5*

I store all sorts of things in my notes including random JPG, PNG and other images taken with various cameras (including the mobile), clipped from web pages or copied from other places.  I found one that was definitely taken with the Android camera and I agree - using right-click and 'open with',  which is supposed to default to XnView (free image formatting & editing) I now get "choose program" and a list of options.  I can still choose XnView and the picture still opens - but the filename doesn't allow me to save this back to the note and replace the current version.

It appears the only way to reliably edit and replace an existing image is to copy and paste it over the old one.  Definitely a change in the latest update,  and not for the better..

I'm sure the issue will be picked up from here but it won't hurt to file a support ticket if you find this a problem!

This is the "official response" that I received from Evernote Support regarding this issue:

We apologize for the inconvenience, however it appears there is currently a bug causing this.

We appreciate you taking the time to send us this error. We have filed an internal bug report with the QA team lead

She will classify and fix the bugs in the order determined by the project Lead.

Unfortunately this is not something I can fix for you at this time.

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks for making Evernote a better product.

So it would appear that it is "officially a bug" - but there is currently no ETA on resolution.

• Level 5*

Yup.  That's a standard format for "It's broke and we're trying to find a way to fix it.." - it might be a new release sometime in the next few days or weeks.  Depends on what's causing the issue and how much work is involved to correct it.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard any more about this problem? I started a ticket (number 293019) related to it too and was told "Thank you for your response. I do apologize for the issue. Unfortunately we do not have an ETA, however this was logged with the dev team for continued research and investigation.I would recommend checking the discussion blog for any updates to this issue." I've been a premium user for several years and this is first time I've had an issue like this and to add to the aggravation they decided to survey me on their support.

We still have no resolution to this problem which has broken existing functionality due poor testing of an update. In two weeks, I would think they could at least give us an idea if they plan to fix it or are just dropping the feature from the app. 

• Level 5*

Evernote don't contribute on this Forum as a matter of course - they'll read everything and dip in from time to time,  but once they're aware of an issue - and clearly they're aware of this one - I think they're rightly wary of falling into the trap of giving an estimated fix time,  which might then be missed because of an unforseen complication,  then having to defend dozens of "you said this would be fixed..." complaints while still working on the solution.  Evernote are looking into this and will fix it as soon as they are able.  Then you might see the announcement...

I'm sure they appreciate your loyalty and thanks for your comments but Evernote support actually referred me to this forum for more information on the problem. I provide Evernote in a production environment and it has really caused an issue for all of my users in the field to have the developer break a feature that has worked for over two years. Providing an estimated time to repair is not an unreasonable request. Doing so allows IT professionals to make value judgments about the solutions that are provided to end users. If Evernote has no idea how or when it plans to remediate this problem then I must look at other options, as waiting indefinitely is not an option for us.

• Level 5*

I'd guess support were aware of this discussion and expect to see a reaction here as soon as there's progress,  but they will be as aware as we are that it would be highly unusual (but not,  obviously,  impossible) for someone to pop up here and say "we'll have a patch available by next Tuesday".  Let's see what happens...

• Level 5*

I'm sure they appreciate your loyalty and thanks for your comments but Evernote support actually referred me to this forum for more information on the problem.

Gaz's loyalty -- however admirable -- has little to do with it. It's more likely that they were referring to release notices for client updates, which are usually posted in the forums. They may or may not actually say that issue X was fixed, and they may or may not post in this topic directly (release notices are typically their own topic). 

I provide Evernote in a production environment and it has really caused an issue for all of my users in the field to have the developer break a feature that has worked for over two years. Providing an estimated time to repair is not an unreasonable request. Doing so allows IT professionals to make value judgments about the solutions that are provided to end users. If Evernote has no idea how or when it plans to remediate this problem then I must look at other options, as waiting indefinitely is not an option for us.

Evernote may have some notion of timeline behind the scenes, but they only rarely make them public. Occasionally you get something like "yeah, that's a high priority for us" or "that will be in the next release", but often not.

Wow, you guys are seriously evangelizing a product produced by a company that won't even actually notify their subscribers when a known bug is quashed? I think I'll try calling support again, that can't be their process.

• Level 5*

I didn't notice a lot of evangelizing going on,  and unless I missed a step somewhere you were not told that the company wouldn't notify you when a bug is quashed.  

All we're sayin' is Evernote don't (usually) do predictions.

• Level 5*

Wow, you guys are seriously evangelizing a product produced by a company that won't even actually notify their subscribers when a known bug is quashed? I think I'll try calling support again, that can't be their process.

Just telling you what my experience is. Didn't say that that would be my choice, but it's not my company. On the other hand, Evernote is a part of my personal and work life, and I use it almost every day. If I evangelize, it's for that reason.
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem.

When I take a photo with android and then try to open in the Evernote windows platform  the Picture does not have the .jpg extension on the file name and will not open. If I right click and rename the picture and put .jpg on the end it will open. this has only started happening around mid December. 

Win7 64bit Evernote V5.1.2
Android 4.1.2 Evernote V5.7.1

We're still waiting to see if or when Evernote will fix the bug that has broken this functionality.

It's fine to wait & see. But if you're expecting anything more... as has been pointed out to you multiple times, EN does not publish their roadmap or ETAs.

I have the same problem.

When I take a photo with android and then try to open in the Evernote windows platform  the Picture does not have the .jpg extension on the file name and will not open. If I right click and rename the picture and put .jpg on the end it will open. this has only started happening around mid December. 

Win7 64bit Evernote V5.1.2
Android 4.1.2 Evernote V5.7.1

Thank your for this workaround Jon! This was driving me a little nuts.

my reply to Ticket# 332856 on Jan 31 13:09 was

Thank you for contacting Evernote support. I apologize for the inconvenience, however it appears there is currently a bug causing this. I have filed an internal bug report with the QA team lead.
Unfortunately this is not something I can fix for you at this time.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Regards,

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Searching for a solution for this annoyance, found this discussion.

Reading your posts and while they make corrections, I did something that worked here:

Double-clicking the image and in the Windows´ image viewer > Open with.

Notice that this way it opens an archive with a coded name, that really means it´s from the database, and not a new copy.

In earlier versions this issue didn´t happen, even in Windows 8.

Actually I´m running  5.2.0.2775 Release Candidate. 

Only finishing my analysis, I think this "bug" has something with the Skitch integration.

We think this is related to a bug in Android. The comments about the file extension were helpful in guiding us towards the right direction. I believe the recently released Android client has a fix that prevents this from happening going forward

Hi,

Same problem here.

I don't see any Android client upgrade, yet.

As a workaround, I found that renaming the image with a good extension (Image -> image.jpg) unlocks the possibility to edit this image in an external tool.

Regards,

Alexandre

Calexo, thanks.   Renaming embedded photos worked on both Mac Mavericks and Win 8.1 Evernote versions.  After renaming the images "filename.jpeg" to "filename.jpg" in Evernote, I was able to open the images with external photo editors, applying changes using the external editor, and then after saving the file in the external editor, the updates were reflected in the Evernote note.    

It was very frustrating to first find this synch-to-external-editor problem AFTER making a bunch of updates in the photo editor.   I use Evernote mostly to annotate photos I take with my android smartphone.  The inability to efficiently modify those images while staying in the context of the Evernote note means Evernote isn't functional for me.     

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks dlu,we appreciate your response for Evernote. Indeed the problem did originate with photos in the Android client and then manifest it's self as the missing extension problem. I have verified that it's working correctly  on all of our clients with the latest software versions.

Archived