(Archived) too many false positive hits on search in images

I am a little disappointed to see so many false positive hits in image search. For example after inputting the term "walde" I get "wählen" (more than once) "wenden" "zahlen" "haben" (see note in Public Notebook http://www.evernote.com/pub/rainerschne ... lle_shared) on top of the 3 correct results which in my particular case gives me a percentage of 70 % false results. Couldn't that be improved a little bit?

• 2 months later...

Before I knew this forum existed, I posted something on Get Satisfaction about that issue here: http://getsatisfaction.com/EvernoteBETA ... ific_terms

I don't expect high (or frankly, even moderate) accuracy OCR on handwriting (particularly my handwriting, which is terrible), but because I have a lot of handwritten items imported (journal entries, letters, etc going back decades - all material for a book), this presents considerable difficulty for me, in that for any search, I get a ton of false positives among my handwritten items.

One thing that might be useful is the ability to exclude from search any items with a particular tag (I haven't tagged all my handwritten items as "handwritten," but this is certainly doable).

Another possibility would be to give users the option to weed out specific instances of false-positives as they encounter them. For example: I just did a search for a last name, "Leighton." One of the hits Evernote found was a note with multiple images of handwritten pages. After scrolling through them* to finally find the word Evernote thinks is "Leighton," I see that what's actually highlighted is "*****." What if, then, I could right-click on the highlighted item and have some option to "Eliminate this search result for this term in future queries" or something like that? It wouldn't solve the problem for a large database with a huge number of handwritten items, but it would, at least, cut down on repeated instances of false-positives on searches I run frequently.

Best - V.

__

* Related: It seems like there must be a faster way to go directly to the found term in any given note (whether or not it's a false positive) besides scrolling down and looking for the little yellow block Evernote highlights. Is there a way to do this and I just haven't been able to figure it out?

One thing that might be useful is the ability to exclude from search any items with a particular tag (I haven't tagged all my handwritten items as "handwritten," but this is certainly doable).

This you can do today, but you have to type it in each time you search. Type -tag:Handwritten and it will only find notes that are NOT tagged "Handwritten"

So for instance, in your search box type: test -tag:Handwritten and it will find notes containing the word "test" that are also NOT tagged Handwritten.

You might want to use a shorter word for tagging these, just to make it quicker to type!

HTH

Archived