(Archived) Evernote note is empty when opening on Iphone (not on other devices)?

mangoguru

On my Evernote app in Iphone I can see the note paritally (including eventual pictures) in the list of "All Notes". But when i click on the note in order to expand the view of the note and see the whole note in full, the window is empty (the content of the note now seems empty). This problem is only on the Iphone. I think I am using Evernote 4.0.3 on the Iphone 3GS.

On my Evernote app in Iphone I can see the note paritally (including eventual pictures) in the list of "All Notes". But when i click on the note in order to expand the view of the note and see the whole note in full, the window is empty (the content of the note now seems empty). This problem is only on the Iphone. I think I am using Evernote 4.0.3 on the Iphone 3GS.

Do you have internet access when trying to load the note?

Do you have internet access when trying to load the note?

Hello and thanks. Heck no you are right. When I tried to read the note if was offline. I thought Evernote would download all the notes during syncing? Does it need additional downloading in order to see the details of the note? Strange......?

Hello and thanks. Heck no you are right. When I tried to read the note if was offline. I thought Evernote would download all the notes during syncing? Does it need additional downloading in order to see the details of the note? Strange......?

On the mobile devices, Evernote only downloads the header information.  To call up a note, it needs internet connection.   It does cache notes recently called up, however. So there may be times when you can access notes w/o internet connection.  Quoting Dave Engberg (CTO of Evernote):

"The caching of notes for a free account is sort of like how your web browser caches web pages that you view...it can make the general experience faster, and maybe allow you to view some stuff without making any network connections, but isn't a 100% guarantee of offline availability."

In order to have notes reside on your device, you need to have a premium account, set which notebooks you want for offline access & then sync all the notes down.  Please search the board on "offline notebooks" for more information.

More from Dave:

"Thanks for the feedback. A lot of companies deliver broken "free" versions of their applications that include short trial periods or things like watermarks on every printed page, nagging pop-ups every time you launch the application, etc.

We've chosen to make a service that can be used for many years without paying anything.

However, we are a business (not a UN-backed nonprofit), and our employees like to eat and pay rent and whatnot. So we do need to pick some set of more advanced capabilities that you get if you actually do pay us a relatively small amount of money. We've tried to choose a set of features that most people can live without, and that tend to cost us more than other features.

So Premium users can upload more data (which costs us more bandwidth and storage), they get faster and more direct tech support (which costs us in labor), and they can access their data offline on an iPhone or Android phone (which costs us many engineer-months of effort to add to the clients).

These Premium features are designed to balance our costs by giving you a gentle reminder to consider paying us for our work.

Thanks"

Archived