(Archived) OCR 1000 page document..... How to do it?

mrstucci

Idea

Hi-I have a document that is 1000 pages that I want to get into Evernote so that it can be OCR'ed. I tried to drag and drop it in but I got the message that I exceeded my monthly allotment. It is 1.19GB in size. Even when a new month for me rolls around, will Evernote be able to process such a large size? Any ideas? I want to be able to search for surnames (I am doing genealogy). Thanks and Merry Christmas! Judy

5 replies to this idea

Hi-I have a document that is 1000 pages that I want to get into Evernote so that it can be OCR'ed. I tried to drag and drop it in but I got the message that I exceeded my monthly allotment. It is 1.19GB in size. Even when a new month for me rolls around, will Evernote be able to process such a large size? Any ideas? I want to be able to search for surnames (I am doing genealogy). Thanks and Merry Christmas! Judy

1. There is a note size limit. Premium accounts are limited to 100 megs, IIRC.

2. Indexing does not occur on PDFs that have more than 100 pages.

You will need to use another app to index that file or else break the file up into smaller files that are acceptable to Evernote.

• Level 5

You don't mention if you are a freebee or premium member and what type of document it is. If it is Word, then split it into multiple documents and put them into a non-sync'd  notebook. Then once a month release enough to come close to your upload cap (just don't go over).

There are some people who have been able to use Evernote with their genealogical information. Example:

http://www.toniasroots.net/2010/06/24/using-evernote-for-genealogy/

Personally, I find dedicated genealogy programs far superior to anything you can do with Evernote.  Relationships (2nd cousin twice removed), tracking marriages, divorces, and 2nd marriages. date relationships and validations, building family trees, etc. are all easily handled with a program designed for genealogy.

I only use Evernote to store some temporary raw data before moving it to a genealogy program.

• Level 5*

If you have any software that will OCR a PDF,  use it.  Replacing lots of image files (pictures of pages) with text information (the content of those pages) can dramatically shrink large files.  If it gets down to less than 100MB,  save it as a note.  Otherwise break it into slightly-less-than-100MB chunks and save as separate notes.  The various notes will be searchable.

• Level 5*

Hi. Evernote has limits.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169

I usually OCR stuff myself. For a 1,000 page document, I'll probably see Adobe Acrobat Pro crash, so I usually OCR 300 to 400 pages at a time. If you must get it into Evernote, you can break it up into chunks. Or, you can textify it.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=551

• Level 5*

Judy,

As others have suggested, I'd break your source document up into smaller sections, probably based on the document TOC -- maybe one chapter, or one major section per file.  But make it logical.

After you have scanned each section, OCR it and use the OCR tools to make the file as small as possible.  Adobe Acrobat Pro has an option to Reduce/Optomize the file for the Web -- probably the smallest file possible.

Further, if the scanned image is clean, and the OCR is good, then you can save ONLY the text of the PDF, eliminating the image (which requires a large file size).

After you do all this then I would import each section/PDF into a separate Note in Evernote.

Then create a MASTER note with Evernote links to each of these Notes.

HTH.

Archived