[Feature Request] Note links from email to app in Android

analogfire

Idea

Hello,

I tried finding a similar request but did not see anything recent. I am looking for note links sent by email to a smartphone (specifically Android) to open in the Evernote App. Currently when I email a note link (not a web url) and try to open in my smart phone I only have options to open in my browser. This does not work and ends up going to a blank web page. I am looking for something similar to how youtube links open in the youtube app and google map links can be opened in maps. 

This feature would be very helpful, especially as a business user who emails note links to co-workers phones quite often. It would be nice for the links to work on all devices instead of just in windows.

Thanks,

Jon

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

You can open notes in either a web browser or an Evernote app.  If you are the owner of the account,  you log in to an app with your normal user ID and password.  If you're not the owner of the account,  then you need to have been sent the ULR of the note as a 'share'.  If you right-click on a note you can send its ULR via 'share'.  All this already exists - I'm not clear why it's a problem for you to see a note.

Note URLs do work on my Android phone if they are the URL generated in the app using Share -> Copy Note URL to clipboard. But this URL doesn't open in the App it opens up the browser. If I create a link by right clicking on a note in the list and send that to my phone it tries to open the URL in a browser with no options for the App. The URL doesn't work in a brower since its not a valid internet address (evernote:///view/1234567/w123/123....). These are the types of links that I am trying to get to work in Android. They work on my windows computer and open notes directly in the application.

thanks,

• Level 5*

Note links of that type are pointing to the note in the database on your Windows hard drive which is why it doesn't work in Android.  To open a note on your mobile device you first have to create a mobile-friendly link by choosing 'Add to Home Screen' from the 'more' menu (the three dots at the bottom of the note screen).  You would have to move that note to an offline notebook synced with the device if you need it to work without a network connection.

Ok, so basically there is not a way to email a note link from a windows computer to an Android phone and have the link open in the App? 

If it helps, the reason I'm looking for a way to do this is because I work mostly in the windows environment and when i create a note and want to send a link to a co-worker who is on the road I copy the note link and paste into an email. It would be nice for the evernote app to open directly from the email link. Currently to open that note in the email my co-worker needs to open the app and search for it.

• Level 5*

Ah I see..  I can't think of a way to make links work,  but if your co-worker has an Evernote account of his own you could email notes to that account using the extra title keys of @notebook and #tag and he could designate that notebook for offline search so the notes will always be available on that device (provided they have been synced from the server initially).  If you also have a notebook of the same name any edits could be emailed back to you. There's also a title key to append to a note ('+' obviously) so it would be possible to add updates if that's preferable...

I just posted this very same request on the Evernote G+ community : https://plus.google.com/+JoshRollins/posts/Q8w7unCJnZk

With me, the case is that I use Wunderlist and I'd like to click on a reference link in the task's note on Wunderlist so it opens in the Evernote app. Right now the only options I have is to open it in the browser (as @analogfire said) on a public create URL which I don't want. If it's not public (copy pasting like URL directly from the EN web app) it will ask for password and user name in browser window, another thing I don't want.

You can use Evernote note links in the format that opens the native app (e.g. evernote:///view/44198958/s3/8613731c-f977-466d-8f27-cb1d6829786c/8613731c-f988-466d-8f27-cb1d6829786c/). When you use "Copy Note Link" from the desktop client, this is the note link you get.  Send that note link in an email to Wunderlist and it links to the native app on Android or other Evernote clients.

This is how TaskClone links your task back to the note it came from when sending tasks to Wunderlist or 40+ other apps.

Wunderlist is one of the few apps that support such links to the native Evernote client.  Unfortunately, they are having issues with this feature at the moment and I don't believe it currently works in Android, but does on iOS (see http://support.wunderlist.com/customer/portal/questions/1404650-evernote-links-broken).

We have a blog post in the research phase that will identify which task apps currently support this feature and on which platforms.

Stay tuned . . .  

so do these links need to be supported by the individual apps that the link is displayed in or is it an Android OS support issue where this link will open the evernote app? I use touchdown and the native email application and would like to find a way to open note links directly to the Evernote app.

We believe it is an individual app issue, but clearly it would need to be supported in Android OS.  We are still researching apps, but of course it works in Evernote's own Android client which suggests there is no OS issue.

In our research we are finding wide variance in support, even for the same task app, but across its clients (e.g. Mac, Win, Android, iOS, web).  

We are hoping our research puts a spotlight on the thin support for this important feature and hopefully get some example code for each platform to encourage developers to get this done.

Does seem to be an individual app issue since (as mentioned in the google plus thread above) DTG GTD for android seems to make evernote links open in the native Evernote app instead of the browser (and it makes this change across all apps on one's phone, not just the DTG GTD app itself). Thanks for whomever is developing it, a lifesaver for some of us.

I just checked out DGT GTD and it uses the public shared URL instead of the local evernote link. Although, if DGT GTD can redirect the public link to the evernote app then I'm just thinking that the evernote app should be able to do the same thing. All it appears to do is set the Android default action for those links to open DGT which then opens evernote. I don't use DGT so if this can be added natively to the evernote app it would be appreciated.

Archived