Unwanted clipper pop up in Gmail

movingturtle

Starting today the clipper sidebar has started popping up at random intervals while I'm composing emails. I can't identify a pattern to anything I'm typing or clicking that could be causing this. I close the sidebar and it just opens again after a few seconds. Obviously this is pretty irritating. Has anyone else experienced this? Any solutions?

Cheers

I'm having exactly the same problem, using Gmail in Chrome. The web clipper just pops up randomly and tries to clip my email. Totally maddening.

I've had the web clipper installed for many months and never encountered anything like this. Nothing has changed on my end (no updates to browser, OS, etc.).

I suspect this is a keyboard shortcut bug that seems to affect mostly user with a UK English keyboard layout...

We did release a Chrome Clipper update on Tuesday 12/17. No changes to keyboard shortcuts code though so it is unexpected that this started happening.  

Can you post what keyboard layout you have when you see this problem and what keys are triggering the Clipper?

The resolution is to disable keyboard shortcuts on the Clipper options page.

1) Open Web Clipper

2) Click your username in the sidebar & select options.

3) Find the shortcuts tab

4) Disable the keyboard shortcuts.

5) Restart Chrome.

I'm having the exact same problem with my danish keyboard. It seems to be a shortcut issue while the "open clipper" short key is "`" and is where the danish character "æ" is put. So every time a type a word including "æ" - which is very common in danish - the clipper panel shows up. Very frustrating.

I have now disabled shortcuts completely since I cannot edit the shortcut keys. Wish I could!

/asas

Same issue for me. UK Keyboard layout, I've just disabled shortcuts in the hope it stops it. Seems to be things I type with my left hand but I can't narrow it down more than that (and now hopefully turned it off anyway).

I suspect this is a keyboard shortcut bug that seems to affect mostly user with a UK English keyboard layout...

We did release a Chrome Clipper update on Tuesday 12/17. No changes to keyboard shortcuts code though so it is unexpected that this started happening.  

Can you post what keyboard layout you have when you see this problem and what keys are triggering the Clipper?

The resolution is to disable keyboard shortcuts on the Clipper options page.

1) Open Web Clipper

2) Click your username in the sidebar & select options.

3) Find the shortcuts tab

4) Disable the keyboard shortcuts.

5) Restart Chrome.

Thanks, disabling the keyboard shortcuts seems to have sorted it. I use standard UK QWERTY layout. The defaults are set to single keystrokes on my machine (see screen shot) so in my case hitting the apostrophe key was triggering the pop up. Is this a universal default behaviour? Perhaps it would be more useful to set the defaults to combinations like ctrl+' if so? post-170057-0-44790000-1387532005_thumb.

I'm having the same problem in the UK qwerty keyboard. First spotted it yesterday, thought it was finger trouble on my part then it started happening a lot this morning as I had a blitz on replying to emails. Not exactly sure which key is the problem but | and ' are the prime suspects at present.

The other interesting aspect is that it seems to open straight in screenshot mode. Before I disable keyboard shortcuts I will keep working for a while to see if I can spot what triggers it.  This will probably the most effective way of ensuring that the problems does not reoccur!

I have done some more testing and located the problem for the UK keyboard. The keyboard shortcut to start web clipper is the apostrophe key ' and therefore anyone who typing emails in the browser using the "informal chatty" style such as I can't attend rather than I cannot attend will trigger the web clipper unless they disable keyboard shortcuts. This seems to be the result of using a single key press to start web clipper rather than ctrl + key press or something similar. I use the apostrophe frequently in emails.

Whilst doing the testing in Google apps email in Chrome the page froze as I was drafting a reply. To unfreeze it I had to disable web clipper and then re-enable it when I had sent the email. 

Thanks David for the added details and sorry for the inconvenience. Our goal is certainly not to start the clipper during normal typing using the apostrophe key.  

A couple of follow ups if you have the time.

Here's what we have in our code as the expected behavior:

We have mapped the 'backtick' also called 'tilde' key to start the Web Clipper as a single stroke shortcut. This is the key that typically sits to the left of the number 1 in the upper left corner. On US keyboard layouts this typically doesn't present any problems as the apostrophe key is a different key. 

Questions:

1) Does the problem happen only in Gmail or is it on all pages?

1) On your UK keyboard do you have the 'backtick' key at all and if so does the backtick start the Clipper?

2) Did the problematic behavior start after 12/17 where we released our 6.0.7 version or did you see the problem before that as well?

Here's a skitch trying to clarify expected behaviors.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/d8a7ba0b-57cc-47bc-aa2f-7bd6f96d8df4/51deb9fc83ec2961a293e857952d4819

• Level 5

Clicked on the link and received the following Evernote message:

Oops, we encountered an error.

Shared note not found

The URL provided does not correspond to a valid shared note. This may be caused by a typo in the link, or the note owner may have made it private.

Thanks David for the added details and sorry for the inconvenience. Our goal is certainly not to start the clipper during normal typing using the apostrophe key.  

We have mapped the 'backtick' also called 'tilde' key to start the Web Clipper as a single stroke shortcut. This is the key that typically sits to the left of the number 1 in the upper left corner. On US keyboard layouts this typically doesn't present any problems as the apostrophe key is a different key. 

Questions:

1) On your UK keyboard do you have the 'backtick' key at all and if so does the backtick start the Clipper?

2) Did the problematic behavior start after 12/17 where we released our 6.0.7 version or did you see the problem before that as well?

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/d8a7ba0b-57cc-47bc-aa2f-7bd6f96d8df4/51deb9fc83ec2961a293e857952d4819

Thanks for all the help. I only noticed the behaviour on 19th Dec, the day of the post. It only seems to happen on Gmail and we have the backtick key (to the left of the 1 for us) and it doesn't seem to trigger it.

Questions:

I have done a few tests, here are the results:

The problem occurs in gmail because I use the keyboard when drafting or

replying to emails. I don't often use the keyboard when surfing the web,

however when viewing a web page from the BBC website, if I hit the

apostrophe key the web clipper opens. I have tested this using my Microsoft

Comfort Keyboard 5000 and a standard plug in keyboard.

Using each of these keyboards in turn I have tried to start the Clipper

using backtick key which exists on both keyboards as per your diagram. I

tried the backtick key on gmail in Chrome and on the BBC website in Chrome

but the Clipper was never started. I have also done a quick test in

Firefox, here the backtick key does not work and the apostrophe opens a

search box not the Clipper.

I did not specifically note when Clipper updated but the first time I

encountered the problem was pm on the 19th which I initially put down to me

hitting a wrong key. It was on the 20th that I realised the problem was a

bit more than finger trouble on my part. The build ID for my Clipper is

67199cf/1.0.2.250.

I hope this helps.

The backtick key on the UK keyboard is a key I never use so this morning I decided to find out what it does. Just pressing the key, no shift or ctrl produces ` an apostrophe, exactly the same as the apostrophe key just above the right hand shift key on the key board. This should explain why the keyboard short cut to start the clipper is shown as an apostrophe. Pressing shift + backtick produces ¬ , I'm not sure what this is used for in typing, I've never used it in 35 years of typing.

Had the same error as well. I never usually bother using the keyboard shortcuts for Clipper so have just disabled those. Not willing to get rid of Clipper entirely as I use it a lot. It's the backtick key for me as well. Not a key I use often, but one I press accidentally a great deal, which is why it keeps occurring for me. I never clip from gmail anyway (I forward messages instead), so not really an issue for me.

Same issue for me, with a UK QWERTY keyboard. Pops up whenever I hit the apostrophe key, very annoying!

Happens in gmail and other web pages.

"Solved" by turning off keyboard shortcuts.

The clipper options shows backtick to be the shortcut to "Start Web Clipper" yet that key (left of numeral 1, top left) does nothing. It's the apostrophe key (two right of "L") that starts it.

Only just started noticing it today.

Justin

• 6 months later...

Simplest quick solution is to default the short-cuts to disabled. May want to do this ASAP to stop more people from simple un-installing.

I have a UK keyboard and Chrome (35.0.1916.153 m). This is what I noticed:

• ' Does trigger the popup on any site.
    Oddly enough though, not when typing in this text entry box, but it does if I click off this box and it does on every other sites text entry box I can find.
  • ` Does NOT trigger the popup
  • I type ' a lot and only noticed this issue in the last day or so.
  • You say that you defaulted the Open to `, but when I look at the options, it quite clearly shows it as ' (attached a screenshot to show you)

EDIT: I have only just noticed this is an old thread. Did you not fix the issue, or have you just re-introduced it?

post-211294-0-71229600-1405690294_thumb.

I am having a similar problem today with the new version for Chrome--the web clipper opens when I try to backspace when typing into a field on a variety of websites (e.g. typing a search on Google, searching for an artist on Grooveshark, email subject line in Outlook.com).  Hitting the backspace key again closes the web clipper, so if I am trying to delete a word, the web clipper opens and closes, opens and closes...

I tried disabling and reenabling the web clipper extension and I restarted Chrome, but the issue still exists.  

I'm using a qwerty keyboard, English-US.

I started to have this problem yesterday.  Whenever I entered ' (single quote) in a web app data entry field the Web Clipper popped up.  I disabled the keyboard shortcuts option and the problem has gone but I had never activated this option so something must have changed recently.

As Monkey has stated the clipper has changed the shortcut to '

If you go into options and change this to something you don't use it will solve your problem. I chose #

Best regards

Chris

Thanks Chris.  I think that Monkey was directing his comments to Evernote themselves.  He seems to be saying that they should change the default so that keyboard shortcuts are disabled unless the user explicitly enables them.  This could save a lot of users a lot of hassle and possibly save Evernote from losing a few.

Regards

T I D

EDIT: I have only just noticed this is an old thread. Did you not fix the issue, or have you just re-introduced it?

I think this must be a reintroduction. I have just started having the same problem everytime I use the ' (apostrophe) key. Very annoying when replying to emails.

What an annoying issue this is - and how doubly annoying to find its a bug that was known about months ago, and has been allowed to reoccur. It doesn't just affect emails, as it also affects forum posts too.

How can a "professional" software company allow a product to be released to market with a bug like this? Do you do any testing?

Hi all,

We released a patch to fix this annoying issue. The latest version is 6.2.2 and you should get auto updated if you restart Chrome. Or you can re-install from www.evernote.com/webclipper to force the update. 

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

I'm not sure what this fix has done or exactly when it was implemented. I found this morning that shift+c brought up the evernote clipper tool. It seems slightly odd to set such basic key combinations which will hamper anyone who types using sentences  with full stops and capital letters.  I have now disabled shortcuts and recommend that you (Evernote) make this the default option for the web plugin.

Archived