Evernote getting slow and slower on windows

Kisses from France

Hi

Evernote is getting slower and slower on windows for me since a vew months, though i'm premium user. Anyone complaining too ?

On my android phone it's still fine but on the PC it sometimes takes ages to open a note. On the main note i use to type daily, though it has only charachters and no photos or videos, the text changes itself in between two openings. I'm starting to be quiet concerned and to google for other applications. A shame because a part from this evernote has become very useful to me.

• Level 5*

Hi.  How many notes do you have and what versions of Windows and Evernote are you using?  I have nearly 16,000 notes in Win 8 desktop 5.1 and it's working fine for me.

If you have no local notebooks or unsynced notes you could try backing up and deleting your database to allow the server to rebuild it - that can take time.  Or you could try removing Evernote and reinstalling it.  (Get some more background on both operations before you actually try them.)

Thanks Gazumped. I have windows 7 and 434 notes only: a daily evernote user but not a real nerd as you obviously.

As far as i know all my notebooks are local, be it either on my main computer as on my mobile device: samsung SII / androïd.

Some notes with pictures are quickly downloaded, some others with text only very slowly. I once copied a note and pasted it on another trying to fix the problem  but it only worked for a short time. Some text also repetedly changes by itself as soon as i leave the note: some phrases come before others, some spaces between lines desepear...And evernot stays a while resting with (evernote does not respond) written at the top.

Thanks for your advice but i'm not ready yet to take the risk of loosing my notes: i use them constantly for work. I'll study this eventuallity when i have more time.

• Level 5*

OK - "local" notebooks are ones that are stored solely on your computer and not uploaded to the server,  so I don't think you have anything to worry about - but if you can live with the situation for a while,  I understand totally not wishing to risk any data loss.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I have similar problem. 

Switching from one note to another one sometimes takes 7 or 8 seconds. During this time, I even can modifiy the "supposed to be previous" note, before the "waiting to be next" one actually displays.

I already have uninstalled an reinstalled, optimized databaze, etc. no way. It is slower and slower.

I'm on a i7 laptop with Windows 8.1, premium subscription.

robisme

• Level 5*

Hello,

I have similar problem. 

Switching from one note to another one sometimes takes 7 or 8 seconds. During this time, I even can modifiy the "supposed to be previous" note, before the "waiting to be next" one actually displays.

I already have uninstalled an reinstalled, optimized databaze, etc. no way. It is slower and slower.

I'm on a i7 laptop with Windows 8.1, premium subscription.

robisme

Hi - have you raised this with support?  If not it's worth a ticket (see below) to see if they can help.  My Evernote is working well on an i7 laptop and W8.0 so database size doesn't seem to be a major issue..

I'd also suggest doing a system clean-up with something like Glary Utilities to remove any dead links,  old backup files etc,  and a serious malware scan just in case.

• Level 5

I have a couple programs that run some daily data, browser and privacy cleanups. I have seen this slow down as well. I have 30,000 notes. Based on comments from other users in similar situations, I created a secondary Evernote account and have been moving older notes from my primary Evernote account to my secondary account.

Not a great solution - it is more complicated, and I did not seen an improvement.

I contacted Support and they suggested I upgrade to a new pre-release beta-type version that has some built-in improvements to address the slowness problem.

I believe this scalability problem will become more severe as Evernote continues to add more bells and whistles to the program and as users continue to add more data.

• Level 5*

Not sure whether it is related, but I had a similar problem. Ran Revo uninstaller and discovered 5.2.0.2275 (I think) and 5.2.0.2946. Removed the older version, and after logging back in it seems to be functioning much better. I did have to re-check disable ads, however. Remains to be seen if I find anything else. Looks like the clean-up between installations may still not be working properly ... JMHO, FWIW.

• Level 5*

I have completely reinstalled windows 8 from zero, and now, the problem seems to be fixed.

It must have been a registry issue due to multiple softwares installation/uninstallations 

I find with Windows, a fresh install every couple of years really helps speed things up. Rather a pure fresh install each time, the first time I do a fresh install and add in some basic utilities and software like antivirus, browser, etc., I'll create an image of the operating system partition. Install some more essential software, create another image. Repeat as desired.

For future 'fresh installs', I just restore the desired image and install whatever apps I want that are not already included in that image.

• 3 months later...

I have completely reinstalled windows 8 from zero, and now, the problem seems to be fixed.

It must have been a registry issue due to multiple softwares installation/uninstallations 

Rob, is Evernote still working well for you after reinstalling?

• 1 month later...

I've been struggling with Evernote v5 performance for months now.

I just wanted to report back that after troubleshooting with a fresh OS load on a spare notebook computer, I found ENv5 to work very responsively, which pointed me toward a possible conflict with another application on my regular OS loads.  For giggles, I uninstalled the AVG virus scanner on another machine I use with Evernote, and poof, the response lag of Evernote v5 all but disappeared.  ENv5 now seems to work as I would expect, and seems just about as responsive as it was with v4.

Further, I had tried excluding Evernote program and database folders from scanning in prior troubleshooting efforts a couple of months ago, but this did not seem to have any effect.  Perhaps there may have been some way to get ENv5 to play nicely with AVG, but I couldn't figure it out, and frankly, was tired of messing with it.

I'm now experimenting with Avast Free to determine whether it will be a viable alternative.

I've been working with EN support and have reported this development.  Hopefully they'll figure out what the deal is and come up with a work around for AVG or any other virus/malware scanners that may be causing similar conflicts.

It's very very nice to have responsive functionality restored.  It's been maddening switching between notes, or waiting through lag on copy or context menu operations on notes.

Hope this helps others.

• Level 5

Ditto.

Evernote might be conflicting with another program.

For example, I am having serious speed issues with Evernote.
One of the most recent communications from Evernote Support was to uninstall, reboot and then...

Step #6 - Close Internet Explorer and Outlook
Step #7 - Download and install the Beta version of Evernote 

For me. no solution to the speed issue yet.

yeah, none of that worked for me, either, nor did - longterm anyway - the Debugmenu secret operations for optimization.  seem to get some short term relief with that, or with letting it rebuild the database from scratch, but usually reverted to laggy performance in short order.  no version 5 release has worked for me with my regular suite of applications.  v4 however, works fine.

what are you using for antivirus?  again, removing AVG was the only thing I can say absolutely fixed this problem for me.

Ditto.

One of the most recent communications from Evernote Support was to uninstall, reboot and then...

[edit  . . . ]

I uninstalled the AVG virus scanner on another machine I use with Evernote, and poof, the response lag of Evernote v5 all but disappeared.  ENv5 now seems to work as I would expect, and seems just about as responsive as it was with v4.

[edit  . . . ]

I'm now experimenting with Avast Free to determine whether it will be a viable alternative.

I've been working with EN support and have reported this development.  Hopefully they'll figure out what the deal is and come up with a work around for AVG or any other virus/malware scanners that may be causing similar conflicts.

AVG virus scanner turned HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE it was lagging my whole computer - last year I moved everything to Avast Free Antivirus -- much better. An IT friend of mine confirmed that AVG is no longer the "go to" anti virus option

I also use -- more periodically:

Spybot 

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 

CCleaner - to clear out rubish

• Level 5*

Ditto.

I'm feeling lucky after reading this.  The speed issues I had since V5 appeared literally disappeared with the recent public version.  I do use Avast so AVG was not a part of the problem for me, just EN.  Doesn't help I know, just saying for whatever reasons it is performing well for some.  Seems to be some issues about putting a fence around the reasons though.

Hi there

Just to mention that about the trouble of EN beeing slow that was the very beginning of this topic; it's been solved when i copyed one single note on a new one and then destroyed the original one.

For any reason that special note (wich was the most simple you could imagine, just text ) was making my whole Evernote account worsten every day.

Now it's all fine again.

Thanks for those who tryed to help !

Thank you! AVG is the anti-virus software I had so much problem with a couple years ago and it ended up costing me 3 trips to my computer repair store and several hundred dollars. I use Bitfender now.

Such a shame because it was a great program at first. Now the software is unreliable and the tech support is a joke.

[edit . . . ]

I uninstalled the AVG virus scanner on another machine I use with Evernote, and poof, the response lag of Evernote v5 all but disappeared. ENv5 now seems to work as I would expect, and seems just about as responsive as it was with v4.

[edit . . . ]

I've been working with EN support and have reported this development. Hopefully they'll figure out what the deal is and come up with a work around for AVG or any other virus/malware scanners that may be causing similar conflicts.

AVG virus scanner turned HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE it was lagging my whole computer - last year I moved everything to Avast Free Antivirus -- much better. An IT friend of mine confirmed that AVG is no longer the "go to" anti virus option

I also use -- more periodically:

Spybot

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

CCleaner - to clear out rubish

• Level 5*

I'm sad to hear AVG is now the enemy - I've run the software without any (apparent) problems for tens of years;  it was one of my earliest 'picks' as standard software for my working laptop(s).  My worst complaint about it is the promotional messages I get that say "AVG has protected you from XXX threats..." 

Since I'm cautious about opening unknown attachments,  don't follow up my frequent lottery wins and always threat-check downloads with both AVG and Emsisoft,  my computer hasn't been exposed to any "threats" that I know of...

Maybe its time to look elsewhere...

I wouldn't go as far as to call AVG the enemy; I, too, have been using it for years, and it's done a pretty good job - at least with what's apparent - at antivirus security.  I was just saying that there seemed to be some sort of conflict with EN that I wasn't able to prevent, no matter which settings I changed, or folders excluded.  There may be some program setting that will rectify this, but I wasn't able to figure it out.  I was able to regain responsive performance with EN5 by removing the latest version of AVG.  I replaced it with Avast Free, which seems pretty good so far, although I've not had any opportunity at this point to see how it fares against attack.

re: the AVG promo/announcements, you can turn all (most?) of those off, iirc?  see if this helps...

1. Open AVG
  2. Click Options >> Advanced
  3. Look at the System Tray Notifications section, and uncheck the bottom three.

avg-edt.jpg

I'm sad to hear AVG is now the enemy - I've run the software without any (apparent) problems for tens of years;  it was one of my earliest 'picks' as standard software for my working laptop(s).  My worst complaint about it is the promotional messages I get that say "AVG has protected you from XXX threats..." 

Since I'm cautious about opening unknown attachments,  don't follow up my frequent lottery wins and always threat-check downloads with both AVG and Emsisoft,  my computer hasn't been exposed to any "threats" that I know of...

Maybe its time to look elsewhere...

• Level 5*

Wow - thanks;  I had those items ticked,  but they are now most definitely unticked!  I'll see if things get quieter around here..  apart from the Evernote forums of course...  :)

welcome! hope that helps.

hehe, yeah, with 6800+ posts, you must be busy!

hey, so, out of curiosity - you weren't seeing any problems with EN5 and AVG, then?

it's confirmed for me on two different computers.

are you running 64-bit Windows 7?  if not, which OS do you use?

• Level 5*

64 bit Win 8.0 +AVG and EN 5.6.1.4242 (prerelease) at present,  though I passed through 5.5 on the way here..  no slow down that I'm aware of due to AVG.  I have another laptop running McAfee (formerly ran BitDefender) that up to 5.6 ran Evernote at about the same speed.  I upgraded to 8.1 and now it won't run Evernote at all - I get a 'Fatal Error' shortly after opening the app.  Still finding the time to uninstall / reinstall and troubleshoot that one...

Here's to hoping you never need to work with their support department. Via phone or online.

64 bit Win 8.0 +AVG and EN 5.6.1.4242 (prerelease) at present, though I passed through 5.5 on the way here.. no slow down that I'm aware of due to AVG. I have another laptop running McAfee (formerly ran BitDefender) that up to 5.6 ran Evernote at about the same speed. I upgraded to 8.1 and now it won't run Evernote at all - I get a 'Fatal Error' shortly after opening the app. Still finding the time to uninstall / reinstall and troubleshoot that one...

Hi there

Just to mention that about the trouble of EN beeing slow that was the very beginning of this topic; it's been solved when i copyed one single note on a new one and then destroyed the original one.

For any reason that special note (wich was the most simple you could imagine, just text ) was making my whole Evernote account worsten every day.

Now it's all fine again.

Thanks for those who tryed to help !

sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread! :)

how did you know which note was causing the trouble?

64 bit Win 8.0 +AVG and EN 5.6.1.4242 (prerelease) at present,  though I passed through 5.5 on the way here..  no slow down that I'm aware of due to AVG.  I have another laptop running McAfee (formerly ran BitDefender) that up to 5.6 ran Evernote at about the same speed.  I upgraded to 8.1 and now it won't run Evernote at all - I get a 'Fatal Error' shortly after opening the app.  Still finding the time to uninstall / reinstall and troubleshoot that one...

wellt, this is interesting to know.  I'll do some testing with a Win8 VM to see if the problem still exists for me.  perhaps it's limited only to the combination of W7x64/EN5/AVG.  I should probably continue experimentation with the fresh OS load of W7x64, as it may be possible that the issue is not just with AVG by itself, but with AVG an some other application in my standard suite of apps.

that Fatal Error issue... was it fine on Windows 8, just didn't work after 8.1?  yes, would be interested to hear what you find with that.  do you have a thread on this?

• Level 5*

wellt, this is interesting to know.  I'll do some testing with a Win8 VM to see if the problem still exists for me.  perhaps it's limited only to the combination of W7x64/EN5/AVG.  I should probably continue experimentation with the fresh OS load of W7x64, as it may be possible that the issue is not just with AVG by itself, but with AVG an some other application in my standard suite of apps.

that Fatal Error issue... was it fine on Windows 8, just didn't work after 8.1?  yes, would be interested to hear what you find with that.  do you have a thread on this?

Not yet - look out for more if I can't resolve it!

• 4 weeks later...
Posted · Hidden by BurgersNFries, September 3, 2014 - cross posting
Hidden by BurgersNFries, September 3, 2014 - cross posting

(cross-post from similar topic)

I believe I have solved this. I can’t be certain every step is needed, but this is what I did – and an increasing Evernote startup delay went from minutes to literally sub-second. Windows 7 64 bit.

1. Uninstall your local Evernote using normal the normal Windows 7 “Programs and Features” uninstall.
  2. In your user AppData folder (which is usually hidden, so you may need to change that in your folder controls), search and destroy any files owned by Evernote. Note that these may appear in at least two different sub-folders; be thorough. Note also, though, that other programs such as your browser(s) have data in AppData. If you care, don’t kill stuff related, for example, to your Google searches done to try to solve this problem!
  3. Use CCleaner to clean up (i.e., clobber) any registry references to Evernote.
  4. Remove any remaining Evernote desktop shortcuts – including Launchpad icons.
  5. Download the current Evernote install file and run it. Set up a new launchpad icon (optional). Start Evernote and sign in. Enjoy (assuming this all works).

Note:  I’m reasonably certain the root cause of the problem is that at least one Evernote update did only a partial job of switching all references to itself – and of cleaning up after the update itself. There was a load of stuff in the AppData folder(s) relating to previous Evernote versions.

Final note: I have two Windows 7 systems with the same exact versions of Windows and of Evernote. One had this problem (solved as above). The other seems not to … yet. This might or might not relate to the fact that one system (the one that had the problem) is several year old, whereas the other was rebuilt from scratch (a completely new hard disk) within the last six months.  So, it could be that Evernote’s installation routine failed to clean up a really old previous Evernote install at some point. That’s just an educated guess, though.

Archived