(Archived) To Do: Why hasn't Evernote Conquered this yet?

I love Evernote. But I still can't use it as a ToDo list. Checklists are a bit clunky to be adding and deleting from constantly. Reminders are fine for ticklers, but not as a todo. I use AnyDo right now. I wish they'd merge. 

Any tips on Todos in En? Any third-party apps you'd recommend? Any idea if EN plans to truly tackle ToDos?

I love Evernote. But I still can't use it as a ToDo list. Checklists are a bit clunky to be adding and deleting from constantly. Reminders are fine for ticklers, but not as a todo. I use AnyDo right now. I wish they'd merge. 

Any tips on Todos in En? Any third-party apps you'd recommend? Any idea if EN plans to truly tackle ToDos?

Please search the board, since this has been discussed a lot already. In a nutshell, although EN includes the ability to have check lists, it is not striving to be yet another to do/task list manager. If you need such functionality, you should use a dedicated app.

Nobody but evernote knows if they intend to add additional todo-like functionality. I do not and have never really expected Evernote to be a true to-do platform, which is fine. I keep Evernote busy enough with notes and long-term content-heavy reminders.

For to-dos, I use Wunderlist. I really dig Wunderlist but I don't know if i'd recommend it over any other program. Go with what works for you.

As such, I don't have any tips for ToDos in evernote because it isn't suited for it and I have no problem using a separate application to manage my todos. 

However, I often use note links in Wunderlist and my calendar. If there is additional information for an event or task, I store it in an evernote note and place the link in the Wunderlist item or Calendar event. That way, on my computers or on any mobile device I can always click on that link and it takes me straight to that evernote note. 

Some third parties are beginning to tap into evernote for managing todos. I am thinking primarily of Gneo, which is currently only available on iOS devices, though it has announced plans for a Mac application too. 

• Level 5

3rd party

I'm not enthusiastic about 3rd party developers linked into Evernote due to the security issues involved. Also the friction caused by different goals (Evernote vs 3rd party) makes life for the user unpredictable over the long haul.

Evernote's view of ToDo's

Here is an interview last year with Evernote CEO Phil Libin about adding ToDo functionality. He was quite clear that a ToDo function has been in their plans for a long time.

"We're working on it. It's coming soon, I think. I think, soon next year in the early part of next year. we're going to be release it.<snip>
So that's coming in the first half of next year."

He said they were planning to make the "To Do / Calendar Integration / Reminder" feature as a separate app, but they decided to incorporate it as a core Evernote feature.

3rd party

I'm not enthusiastic about 3rd party developers linked into Evernote due to the security issues involved. Also the friction caused by different goals (Evernote vs 3rd party) makes life for the user unpredictable over the long haul.

Evernote's view of ToDo's

Here is an interview last year with Evernote CEO Phil Libin about adding ToDo functionality. He was quite clear that a ToDo function has been in their plans for a long time.

"We're working on it. It's coming soon, I think. I think, soon next year in the early part of next year. we're going to be release it.<snip>

So that's coming in the first half of next year."

He said they were planning to make the "To Do / Calendar Integration / Reminder" feature as a separate app, but they decided to incorporate it as a core Evernote feature.

Yes 3rd party stuff is not without issues.

Let's see what Evernote has in store for the future....

I have a high level "@" notebook called To-Do & Activity in which there are separate notebooks for each month's To-Dos, Proposals with due date, etc.  While not perfect, it is in EN, which means it is available on each of the 5 computing platforms I use.  

We all know that Outlook todo functionality is very poor UNLESS you use pimp your outlook task function with GTD http://goo.gl/uh5rx8 This is an add-in that follows GTD principles and has been hugely powerful in managing all my todo's AND complex projects.   This is easy to use and enables you to create todo's before you send the email.

We all know that Outlook todo functionality is very poor UNLESS you use pimp your outlook task function with GTD http://goo.gl/uh5rx8 This is an add-in that follows GTD principles and has been hugely powerful in managing all my todo's AND complex projects.   This is easy to use and enables you to create todo's before you send the email.

How does this relate to Evernote & this thread?

Although some further todo functionality might be welcome in EN, I think their strategy to stick to their core is probably best.  They don't really want to become a project management app.  

We faced the same issue regarding integrating EN todos with purpose-built task apps.  We created TaskClone and it's been helping many EN users get todos into 40+ task apps ever since.  This quick video shows TaskClone at work extracting todos from Evernote and sending them to TodoPro with a link back to the Evernote note.

• Level 5

Good luck. However, I would feel more comfortable if the TaskClone website had some information that addressed security when dealing with the data in my Google and Evernote accounts.

Updated: Done - How we protect security and privacy.

Good point.  We'll add that information as an FAQ shortly.  

In addition to typical site security, we follow the requirements of both Evernote and Google to encrypt access tokens provided by each service.  Users can always revoke these tokens themselves as well.  As to note data, Evernote notifies us of notes that have unchecked checkboxes and our app processes a subset of those notes based on the notebook/tag you specify. We do not store any notes or note data.   We do log the ID of notes processed to troubleshoot processing errors (e.g. 3e2c732f-e8fb-4a3b-8152-c566bc907974).

As to Google, We don't access any Google data.  We use your Google email to send todos to your task app as many task apps require the email come from an address registered with your account.  More on why we use Google.

Archived