Mac: Cannot make new notebook in a stack

There are true usability issues with version 5. For example, I have a stack and want to create 5 new folders in it. I'm on a Mac. There is no way to simply make a folder in the stack. When I make a new folder--it is alphabetized with all the others and I have to drag it onto the stack. This excessive work has to be repeated 5 times!!! This is silly and time consuming. Your design is based more on looking at notes already made--browsing--not on allowing users to be productive. Please--get the basics right.

There are true usability issues with version 5. For example, I have a stack and want to create 5 new folders in it. I'm on a Mac. There is no way to simply make a folder in the stack. When I make a new folder--it is alphabetized with all the others and I have to drag it onto the stack. This excessive work has to be repeated 5 times!!! This is silly and time consuming. Your design is based more on looking at notes already made--browsing--not on allowing users to be productive. Please--get the basics right.

Please stay on topic. This thread relates to iOS, not Mac.

Shoe, You are correct, you are currently unable to create a new notebook within a stack. New notebooks always appear outside of a stack and require dragging. 

I agree, it would be nice to be able to right-click on a stack and create a new notebook right inside. 

That being said, notebook and stack creation is not likely to be a daily occurrence. For example, my structure is reasonable stable from week to week, month-to-month. Typically I only need to add new notebooks when a new project comes up or I have a new teaching obligation, so every 4 months or so. As such, whether such a task takes 5 minutes or 10 minutes doesn't really make a difference in the grand scheme of things. Your suggestion is likely to save seconds and not minutes. 

But I am fairly flexible and my workflow not terribly particular, and my work not based on minutes and seconds. Perhaps your situation is the opposite, in which case I can understand how this minor feature could be a near-deal-breaker for you. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Is this still the case (that there is _no_ way to create a new Notebook _in_ a Stack)?

Came across this thread searching for an answer to just that question.

Thanks.

I'm using Evernote 5.5.1 on OS 10.8.5.

(Added:) PS: ScottLougheed suggested this is an un-important issue — "As such, whether such a task takes 5 minutes or 10 minutes doesn't really make a difference in the grand scheme of things. Your suggestion is likely to save seconds and not minutes."  That is true for users who are already up to speed.  For _new_ users in the process of setting up an Evernote database — with missed directions and dead-ends — I can attest that not only will this save many minutes, but moreover that each of those minutes is brimful with the exact sort of UI frustration developers should work to eliminate.  This is, to the user, a dead-simple, un-fancy, _normal_ request.  Evernote is seemingly well-paved for speedy execution; not being able to add Notebooks to Stacks is worse than a pothole — it's an early part of the path that was never paved.

Is this still the case (that there is _no_ way to create a new Notebook _in_ a Stack)?

Came across this thread searching for an answer to just that question.

Thanks.

I'm using Evernote 5.5.1 on OS 10.8.5.

(Added:) PS: ScottLougheed suggested this is an un-important issue — "As such, whether such a task takes 5 minutes or 10 minutes doesn't really make a difference in the grand scheme of things. Your suggestion is likely to save seconds and not minutes."  That is true for users who are already up to speed.  For _new_ users in the process of setting up an Evernote database — with missed directions and dead-ends — I can attest that not only will this save many minutes, but moreover that each of those minutes is brimful with the exact sort of UI frustration developers should work to eliminate.  This is, to the user, a dead-simple, un-fancy, _normal_ request.  Evernote is seemingly well-paved for speedy execution; not being able to add Notebooks to Stacks is worse than a pothole — it's an early part of the path that was never paved.

This is still the case on the Mac. 

• 1 year later...

Archived