(Archived) Protecting a Note from accidental deletion

I am just starting to use Evernote.  It's a very clever concept and appears to satisfy my intended use.

One thing I noticed was that it's very easy to edit, save and delete any Note.  It's the 'delete' part I'm concerned about.

Is there some way to "Lock" or "Protect" a file from accidental deletion?  

The whole purpose for my use of Evernote is to be able to ADD or EDIT a Specific Note from multiple devices (That I can do).  Because of the Sync function however, if I were to accidentally delete a Note, it will - within a few seconds - be deleted from everywhere.  I see no way to "restore" a deleted file, and that presumes that I immediately realize my mistake.  

This defeats the whole purpose of why/how I'm using Evernote.

I would like to be able to lock or protect a Note such that it can't be deleted without either a Super Password or multiple (minimum one (1)) Cautions asking.. "Are you sure you really want to delete this Note?"

Any ideas/suggestions?

ShelbyS

By default anything deleted ends up in the trash where it can quickly and easily be restored. It will remain in the trash until you clear the trash. This is true for all of your devices. If you delete a note on your computer, it goes to the trash. It will also be in the trash on your mobile devices and your other computers and so on.

A warning dialogue has been discussed elsewhere and could probably be a nice addition (or optional addition)

By default anything deleted ends up in the trash where it can quickly and easily be restored. It will remain in the trash until you clear the trash. This is true for all of your devices. If you delete a note on your computer, it goes to the trash. It will also be in the trash on your mobile devices and your other computers and so on.

A warning dialogue has been discussed elsewhere and could probably be a nice addition (or optional addition)

Scott -

Thanks, but are you sure it goes to the Trash on a Mac?  I deleted three files today and none of them are in my Trash on the Mac.  I'd looked there first, thinking exactly what you have presented.

I may be crazy, and my application may be unique, but one of the beauties of Evernote was sharing an identical Note, automatically, and (nearly) instantaneously on multiple devices. But to not protect that Note from being deleted, without any warning, seems to me to be a pretty big deal.  Because a mistake on one device, multiplies itself into a mistake on multiple devices.  At least with email or documents, if I accidentally delete from my home computer I'd still have the copy at my office, on on my iPad or Cell phone.

What this means is that I'll need to back-up, export, copy 'n save, email, etc. this Note just to make sure that if accidentally deleted I'll know I can go get the most recently saved copy.  So then, how is Evernote any different/better than just simply editing a text document and emailing it to myself?

ShelbyS

They do not go into the computer's trash. They go into a special notebook called trash. If you look at your list of notebooks you should see a trash notebook. That should contain all of your deleted content. 

In the sidebar click Notebooks, which should display a list of notebooks in the main window. The last notebook is called "Trash". 

This exists on all of your devices and is synced to all of your devices. One mistake on one device means you can recover from that mistake on ANY device. 

They do not go into the computer's trash. They go into a special notebook called trash. If you look at your list of notebooks you should see a trash notebook. That should contain all of your deleted content. 

In the sidebar click Notebooks, which should display a list of notebooks in the main window. The last notebook is called "Trash". 

This exists on all of your devices and is synced to all of your devices. One mistake on one device means you can recover from that mistake on ANY device. 

Scott -

Well, THAT makes a lot of sense, and is a great solution to my concerns!!  Is there a Manual on line, or some "here's how Evernote works practically, in every day life" type document where I can find out these little things?  I couldn't find anything on the iPad app... oops, I did just find the Getting Started with Evernote from the Help menu of the Mac app.  

Maybe I should read that before I ask any more questions.  Thanks for helping me out.

ShelbyS 

ShelbyS:

Something else to consider.

I believe this is a premium user feature, but there is also something called Note History.

I've used this on a few occasions.  I'm not so worried about deleting notes accidentally, as I am changing a note and not being able to undo it.

Note history lets you go back to previous saves of a document.  Not available on all devices.

NB: Note history doesn't capture every save, they snapshot every 8 hours or so. If it's a note you edit a lot I wouldn't depend on this too much as 8 hours could be a lot of time.

Scott, Righteousdork & Metrodon -

Good info, appreciate the insight.  This 'snapshot' concept sounds a lot like Time Machine which we use on our Mac's here in the office.  I think TM is set to capture snapshots every hour.  Already saved me a couple of times this year from potentially catastrophic events.  

Have a Merry Christmas!

ShelbyS

Archived