(Archived) Creating stacks by dragging doesn't work as expected

Say I already have two notebooks, one called Decorating, and another called Household. I now want to consolidate those by dragging Decorating into Household, so that Decorating becomes a sub-folder of Household. (Or, in Evernote terminology, there would now be a stack named Household containing a notebook named Decorating.) That is what I expect to happen, based on experience with every other computer folder system I've ever used (e.g. Windows, my email provider...).

But that's not what happens. When I drag Decorating into Household, I end up with a new, unnamed stack that contains both Decorating AND Household.

The problem is that Household IS the highest level. There is nothing that I want "Household" to be a member of, and yet that is what Evernote forces me to do.

I understand that it's not impossible to repair this situation in order to get what I want in the end. But fixing it up manually seems quite cumbersome, compared to it working as expected in the first place.

Say I already have two notebooks, one called Decorating, and another called Household. I now want to consolidate those by dragging Decorating into Household, so that Decorating becomes a sub-folder of Household. (Or, in Evernote terminology, there would now be a stack named Household containing a notebook named Decorating.) That is what I expect to happen, based on experience with every other computer folder system I've ever used (e.g. Windows, my email provider...).

But that's not what happens. When I drag Decorating into Household, I end up with a new, unnamed stack that contains both Decorating AND Household.

The problem is that Household IS the highest level. There is nothing that I want "Household" to be a member of, and yet that is what Evernote forces me to do.

I understand that it's not impossible to repair this situation in order to get what I want in the end. But fixing it up manually seems quite cumbersome, compared to it working as expected in the first place.

There are no sub notebooks/sub folders in Evernote.  Stacks are simply a group of notebooks.  Stacks do not contain notes.  Given that, Evernote is doing exactly what it should be doing, creating a new stack that is a group of both the notebooks.

But then I end up with two things named Household. A stack named Household, containing a notebook named Household. I don't want that, but I do want a stack named Household that contains a notebook named Decorating. (I think I shouldn't have written the last sentence in my original post, that there's a cumbersome way to fix this, because now the more I get into it, the more confused I get, and I don't see how to fix it.)

What I want:

Household (stack)

>>>Decorating (notebook)

What I don't want:

Household (stack)

>>>Household (notebook)

>>>Decorating (notebook)

But then I end up with two things named Household. A stack named Household, containing a notebook named Household. I don't want that, but I do want a stack named Household that contains a notebook named Decorating. (I think I shouldn't have written the last sentence in my original post, that there's a cumbersome way to fix this, because now the more I get into it, the more confused I get, and I don't see how to fix it.)

What I want:

Household (stack)

>>>Decorating (notebook)

What I don't want:

Household (stack)

>>>Household (notebook)

>>>Decorating (notebook)

Rename the unnamed stack to what you want the name to be. You can then either add/remove other notebooks from the stack.

So...remove the household notebook from the stack or delete the household notebook (if it's empty).

The Household notebook is not empty.

[Edited] Well wait. I suppose I could just rename the existing Household notebook to something like "General," and then I'd have this:

Household (stack)

>>>Decorating (notebook)

>>>General (notebook)

I guess that should have been pretty obvious. I was startled when it wouldn't do what I expected, and then just got my brain twisted in knots. :blink:

Archived