Pre-encryption for files stored in the cloud

gazumped

• Level 5*

Not sure how useful or relevant this might be,  and I'm just downloading a trial myself;  but for those sending files to the Cloud (and I saw a definition of the Cloud today as "Someone Else's Computer") in a newsletter I subscribe to, Fred Langa is suggesting 'pre-encryption' as the new new big thing.  He uses Boxcryptor.com as the example.

Note that you're uploading an encrypted,  so by definition unindexable and unsearchable,  file.  But if you really,  REALLY don't want to share the contents..

How is this different from all the other encryption software already out there?  No clue.

What is Boxcryptor?

Boxcryptor is an easy-to-use encryption software optimized for the cloud. It allows the secure use of cloud storage services without sacrificing comfort. Boxcryptor supports all major cloud storage providers (such as DropboxGoogle DriveMicrosoft SkyDriveSugarSync) and supports all the clouds that use the WebDAV standard (such as Cubby, Strato HiDrive, and ownCloud). With Boxcryptor your files go protected to your cloud provider and you can enjoy peace of mind knowing that your information cannot fall into the wrong hands.

Here is how it works:

Boxcryptor creates a virtual drive on your computer that allows you to encrypt your files locally before uploading them to your cloud or clouds of choice. It encrypts individual files - and does not create containers. Any file dropped into an encrypted folder within the Boxcryptor drive will get automatically encrypted before it is synced to the cloud. To protect your files, Boxcryptor uses the AES-256 and RSA encryption algorithms

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5*

Any idea whether or not the NSA has a back door to the algorithm? 

If I told you...

- And just for the record I played with this a bit and didn't find anything horrible,  but also didn't have a strong urge to change my current setup.

Archived