The New 7.2 Update from December 12, 2013 Keeps Crashing

phongsta

Idea

I am a Premium Evernote User and had loved this app until the update today.  Now it won't login and keeps crashing.

I've rebooted the iPhone and it still crashes.

Then I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it.... Same thing... crash at App startup.  Rebooted to see if that would work... still crashes on app startup. 

Then, I rebooted, then removed the app, then rebooted the phone again and re-downloaded the app. At App start up, it crashes again!   I've done this a total of 7 times now. 

Running iPhone 5s w/ iOS 7.0.4.

Anyone else having this issue?

38 replies to this idea

Thank you for posting the work around! Shortly after updating to evernote 7.2, it consistently crashed for no apparent reason. This fix seems to work. I hope evernote will make a general announcement to it's users and come up with a fix soon.

Hi folks!

Apologies for the inconvenience this issue is causing any of you. We believe we that we have isolated the cause and are looking to get a bug fix version out ASAP. In the meantime, as @phongsta mentioned, anyone with crashing issues on launch in 7.2 can try the following workaround.

- Open Settings for your Phone
- Navigate to Privacy
- Tap Contacts
- Look for Evernote and flip the switch to OFF
- Restart the Evernote app (it is possible that you will need to reinstall)

If this workaround still does not resolve your issue, please get in touch with our support team (see my signature).

Thanks for your patience!

Thanks for the work around as this is happening to me as well.  How will we be notified when we can turn on contacts again?

You'll know because Evernote will release an update for the application. They may or may not explicitly mention this issue as FIXED in the release notes.

I have been having this issue since Friday Dec 13th.  Tried all of the above with no luck.  Monday night 6pm EST....Just tried re-installing for first time since Sunday (after a reboot)  and it looks like it is working again.  

This was a major issue for a product i used to be able to rely on every day.  I also submitted a ticket on Saturday that i haven't even so much as gotten a reply on yet which is even more frustrating. 

This worked for me too! Thanks, phongsta.

Okay, there's a workaround.  The Product Manager actually got back to me with a workaround.

If you've already installed the app and it still crashes, then do the following:

Go to Settings > Privacy > Contacts > Look for Evernote > Switch OFF

Restart the app.  The Product Manager also recommended me that I may have to reinstall the app. 

Evernote is working fine again with the new version.

Yay! They do have a good response time, albeit not 24x7.

I am a Premium Evernote User and had loved this app until the update today.  Now it won't login and keeps crashing.

Then I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it.... Same thing... crash at App startup.  Rebooted to see if that would work... still crashes on app startup. 

Then, I rebooted, then removed the app, then rebooted the phone again and re-downloaded the app. At App start up, it crashes again!   I've done this a total of 7 times now. 

Same problem. Nothing resolves this. I deleted the app and tried to reinstall it. Now it won't even let me sign in. Crashes immediately on startup. IOS 7.0.4 Iphone user.

I have been having this issue since Friday Dec 13th.  Tried all of the above with no luck.  Monday night 6pm EST....Just tried re-installing for first time since Sunday (after a reboot)  and it looks like it is working again.  

This was a major issue for a product i used to be able to rely on every day.  I also submitted a ticket on Saturday that i haven't even so much as gotten a reply on yet which is even more frustrating. 

Same problem. Nothing resolves this. I deleted the app and tried to reinstall it. Now it won't even let me sign in. Crashes immediately on startup. IOS 7.0.4 Iphone user.

Have either of you tried the workaround provided by Evernote and others in this thread? Disabling Evernote's access to your devices Contacts should provide some stability. 

Hi folks!

Apologies for the inconvenience this issue is causing any of you. We believe we that we have isolated the cause and are looking to get a bug fix version out ASAP. In the meantime, as @phongsta mentioned, anyone with crashing issues on launch in 7.2 can try the following workaround.

- Open Settings for your Phone

- Navigate to Privacy

- Tap Contacts

- Look for Evernote and flip the switch to OFF

- Restart the Evernote app (it is possible that you will need to reinstall)

If this workaround still does not resolve your issue, please get in touch with our support team (see my signature).

Thanks for your patience!

Hmmm... Evernote isn't listed under privacy/contacts... nothing for me to turn off.  

I get consistent crashes when creating post-it notes and photo notes... 

My current workaround is to take photos with the built-in camera app and mail them to my EN account... sucks.

Turning off contacts solved the problem. Thx

The workaround of changing the privacy settings and reinstalling the app worked for me. I have consistently had the app crash when I take a photo and try to save a new note. This started happening in iOS7 for the 7.2 update.

@nwpatriot go to settings and turn off automatic updates > open up App Store and go to Purchases to download the previous version.

Download that. The App Store will issue the 7.2 update again after re downloading the previous version. Do NOT update until they release a fix for 7.2.

I am back on 7.1.3 and stable again.

I am a Premium user and have had the same issue. Deleted and reloaded the app, and it won't even let me log in. 

What is going on here? How do I roll back to the previous release? This is completely unacceptable, the iPhone functionality is critical for my use of the application.

I downloaded the app without issue, used the Business Card scanner without issue. If you've tried resetting the phone and reinstalling the app and it's still not working, it's probably time to open a support ticket.

Best of luck.

The Premium support team did get back to me and told me to sync with iTunes.  I'm a paid iCloud user and haven't synced ANY iOS device to my Mac since iOS 5.  What about users that have this issue that does NOT use iTunes sync?

This is what the support told me to do:

Hello Visitor,

Thank you for contacting us.

Since reinstalling from the app is not working for you please connect this iOS device to a computer using a USB wire and whiting iTunes and remove the app from there, Sync your apps and then install it from the iTunes Apple store.

There are some internal files that will stay on the App´s folder after removing like the user preferences or the Database folder, those gets completely removed when restarting after removing or by syncing using iTunes.

Let me know the results.

Miguel Ortega
Evernote

I have written to the support team as well and am awaiting their answer. This is so frustrating as I use Evernote on several devices. Connecting to itunes via a computer will not be an option for me, so I hope they will solve this problem asap. As a Premium user, it is not okay to pay for a service that doesn't work.

Okay, there's a workaround.  The Product Manager actually got back to me with a workaround.

If you've already installed the app and it still crashes, then do the following:

Go to Settings > Privacy > Contacts > Look for Evernote > Switch OFF

Restart the app.  The Product Manager also recommended me that I may have to reinstall the app. 

Evernote is working fine again with the new version.

Yay! They do have a good response time, albeit not 24x7.

Archived