No keyboard shortcuts in Metro app

It looks keyboard shortcuts are not supported in the Metro app. They really are missing.

I know Win 8 support is not massive on desktop and laptops PCs, but power users still exist and use shortcuts extensively.

Of course, I can use Evernote Web or the desktop app, but surprisingly I tend to like the Metro way.

What I miss the most : formating (bold, underline) and levels (Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2) for organizing notes (a hidden feature of the web app).

As a more general information, it is really frustrating that formatting options are not exactly the same in all the apps (iOs, Win Metro, Win desktop, Web). I even got once a message telling that is was not possible to edit a note because of unsupported options.

Olivier

• Level 5*

Hi and welcome to the forums.  I use a Windows 8 laptop but always in desktop mode - the standard Evernote works fine with all the standard shortcuts.  The Metro version (Evernote Touch) I'd guess was aimed at tablets and phones where Ctrl keys are hard to find,  which kind've limits their options.  If you think about it that's why the options can;t be the same on all platforms - they have different OS's,  resolutions,  keyboards (or not) and screen sizes.  Evernote decided to design for maximum returns within the limitations of each different type of hardware,  and different teams have come up with different answers from time to time.  I'm sure the editor will improve.

• 2 months later...

I understand your point, but EN Touch feels like a half-baked product, released just to get an app into the Windows Store.  It is a very attractive app, but the lack of keyboard shortcuts reduces its usefulness to us with touch screen Windows 8 laptops.  It was only recently that the Android app received support for keyboards so perhaps EN will consider adding it to Touch.  Especially with the growth of laptops that feature touch screens. Hopefully we'll see an update soon.

• Level 5*

I understand your point, but EN Touch feels like a half-baked product, released just to get an app into the Windows Store.  It is a very attractive app, but the lack of keyboard shortcuts reduces its usefulness to us with touch screen Windows 8 laptops.  It was only recently that the Android app received support for keyboards so perhaps EN will consider adding it to Touch.  Especially with the growth of laptops that feature touch screens. Hopefully we'll see an update soon.

" the lack of keyboard shortcuts reduces its usefulness to us with touch screen Windows 8 laptops"  

- I thought the touch screens were kind've the point?

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post but......

I have windows 8.1 on a computer with no touch screen and a computer with touch screen. I really find it convenient even on the touch screen to just have the hotkeys instead of having to move my hand every now and then to edit my notes with the shortcuts on my screen. It does make a huge different when I am taking notes in class since I am a college student. It somewhat bothers me that I have to move my hand out of typing position to edit my notes when I can just have hotkeys at my convenience. The impact on my typing speed is huge once having to do this over and over again for many many times during the lecture. I sincerely hope that the hotkeys can be added to Evernote Touch as well so that I can have the option to use it or not.

Archived