Turn off "Automatic titling" ?

Any way to turn this off ?  It is really useless.

When you view the note - you have the title, space, then the first line of the note (which matches the title).

Who wants to see this twice ?

I often change the first line - because it is a duplicate of the title - then the title changes - very frustrating.

post-53907-0-23364700-1386681065_thumb.j

• Level 5

When you view the note - you have the title, space, then the first line of the note (which matches the title).

I often change the first line - because it is a duplicate of the title - then the title changes - very frustrating.

The way I avoid the duplication is to type in the title area first, then the text.area.

The way I avoid the duplication is to type in the title area first, then the text area.

Several users have complained about this relatively new feature, but quite a few other users find it useful.

Several users have complained about this relatively new feature, but quite a few other users find it useful.

Frankly, I would prefer the original method, but I doubt it will be brought back.

Frankly, I would prefer the original method, but I doubt it will be brought back.

One of the unintended consequences of this automatic titling rears its ugly head when merging notes.

One of the unintended consequences of this automatic titling rears its ugly head when merging notes.

From what I can recall, this has always been the behaviour of EN Windows, to use the first line of a note as the title unless it is otherwise entered?

I tend to enter the title first, and make use of the registry entry that puts the cursor in the title field when I create a new note.

Other than that, I don't believe that this can be turned off.

• Level 5*

Depends what you're typing I guess - I find it works well for me just to start typing with the information I want in the subject line.  A couple of carriage returns and I get on to the body text.  Agreed I wouldn't do it for a note I planned to share,  but for most of my personal notes this is fine.  I can live with a duplicated title line.  On the occasions I have a better idea for the title later,  I'll overtype the title line so I have both the old and the new versions in place.  With my memory I find it's useful to have more, rather than fewer,  keywords hanging around...

On the occasions I have a better idea for the title later,  I'll overtype the title line so I have both the old and the new versions in place.  With my memory I find it's useful to have more, rather than fewer,  keywords hanging around...

This demonstrates the "lameness" of the design.  Sometimes I see the "repeated title line" (first line in note) - and I'll type over it (because the "title" is above). Then I'll accidently click near top and the typed over line erases the "official original title".

Just makes no sense....  

Oh well - thanks for everyone's input !

• 3 weeks later...

oh, wow, I agree with this wholeheartedly!

if type text into the main body and leave the title empty, then go ahead and set the title to the first line of the body text.  that behavior isn't so bad.  but what completely sucks is if I go back and change the title, don't change the first line of the body!  I can't believe that this doesn't frustrate more people.

Personally, I like the auto titling & like Gaz, use it to my advantage.  I type the "title" in the first line of the note.  NBD.  If I decide later to change the title, I change the first line, then go to edit the title, backspace & boom, it auto fills in the title line with the new one. 

As far as seeing it twice, IMO, no I don't care.  I doubt anyone I share my notes with cares. 

• Level 5

oh, wow, I agree with this wholeheartedly!

if type text into the main body and leave the title empty, then go ahead and set the title to the first line of the body text.  that behavior isn't so bad.  but what completely sucks is if I go back and change the title, don't change the first line of the body!  I can't believe that this doesn't frustrate more people.

Most all forms of Media, both printed and digitial, Books, Newspapers, Magazines, Journals, Newsletters, even Blogs and e-books don't use Evernote's arcane method of repetitive double entries, repetitive double entries. It's no wonder it bothers people bothers people.

It does frustrate users. But as with other Evernote issues, many have given up discussing it any further. It's not not worth worth complaining complaining because Evernote will not not drop this new duplicate duplicate entry system and return to the old Evernote method using a dedicated title and descriptive text.

The best work-around is to 1.) create a new note, 2.) then move the cursor from the default text area up to the title area.

• 1 year later...

No, because the title changes to whatever the first line in the "body" is. I cut the top line from the body to the header, and then the programme sees its chance to "refresh" itself, and it throws the header out of the window and puts whatever is the new first line in the body, and makes it the header.

You'd think it wasn't supposed to work like that, but it always does to me...

Yes, I am a long-time contributor/follower of this thread and I concur with the other complainers: this is still broken.  Sure, if you know how it works you can control it.  But that's no excuse: if I have to think about it to control it, then it is a poor UI.  The bar is very high on user experience these days and I'm surprised to see this kind of klunkiness in a major product like EN.  (I'm talking about EN Windows).

Now on EN Android, it works differently.  The duplication behavior doesn't happen.  How does it make any sense that the title/first-line behavior is different on two platforms?  Either the software should try to keep those in sync on all platforms, or it shouldn't keep them in sync on any.  We're talking a creating a text note here, which has to be one of the most common use cases for EN, so it should work consistently and sensibly.

The android implementation has another issue: when I make a new text note, it puts my focus into the body of the note.  This is a backwards workflow: I want to type the title first.  So I must physically click into the title area in order to set the title.  Then I must physically click back into the text area.  I've used enough android apps to see better ways of handling this kind of thing, ways that are more standard on android.  Compose an email in Google Inbox, for example, and you'll see a sensible workflow that walks you through "To:", "Subject:", and "Body".

My 2 cents.

Tom

• 4 months later...

Add my vote to this being a pain in the butt. I do audio notes while out and about. Then later I fill in the details. In the middle of changing the title from "Untitled Note" it erases what I'm writing! The functionality isn't so bad, but it has to be savvy about usability, or it's super frustrating! It's just part of the bad quality programming throughout this product. And this has been a problem for sooo long! "It has always worked like that," is not a good excuse, it's a further embarrassment!

• 1 year later...

I clip a lot of stuff for my Evernote, then edit it after to fix formatting errors.  I hate the duplicate first line and title and so always remove the title from the body text.  The auto-titling is utterly annoying and causes duplicate work frequently.  A facility to turn this off would be most welcome.

• Level 5*

Just to pile on here... I despise this feature. I cannot tell you how many times I've opened a note, typed a title, then started in the note, and then magically, Evernote removes my title and replaces it with as much of the first line of my note text as it could cram in there.

The title and first line should NEVER EVER be the same unless the user explicitly does it on purpose.

I'd prefer Evernote rip out 100% of the code and logic that does this. The only thing that I can see being useful is if the user does not put in a title, it shows the first line of text in list view only as the title, but it is a visual thing only.

In fact, other than user-enabled metadata, like location, time, etc., Evernote should never presume to be so smart as to edit my title, body, tags, or notebook. Ever. E. V. E. R. 

• Level 5*

I've suffered from the 'lost title' problem too - it's intermittent and impossible to document or screengrab,  but I use 'smart' titles with keywords in a set order,  and it is...  annoying ... to have a long string disappear after it's been typed once already...

• Level 5*

On the other hand, there's times when I've wanted it to work (set the title automatically from the first text in the note), and it seemed as though it should work, but didn't. Most likely because the text is contained in the second cell or the first row of a commonly used template note.

Archived