Suggestion: Permanent Sort within notebooks

I must sort my notes for a folder by Title and in reverse order each time I open the folder. Suggestion: Program Evernote to remember how I last sorted my notes and in what order, for a given folder. The only time I should have to do a sort is when I want to change the way Evernote remembered it.  Little things go a long way.

Evernote remembered the last sort order in a previous version. It was a version update this year that removed this sensible feature in favour of the constant default of last updated/reverse order. Clearly there are programmers who don't use Evernotes in their daily life, where title order is how real people find things 99% of the time. Who on earth remembers when they last updated the note they want to find.

Just found the solution in another thread and tested it. I close my laptop Evernote by clicking the top-right X, per Windows convention. Apparently, this is not the same as File/Exit on the menubar. Did that, reopened Evernote, and voila, Title order (not reversed) was still in effect in all notebooks. I'll post again if shutting down and restarting tomorrow brings back the old default.

• Level 5

Scenario:

• Sort some notebooks by Created Date ascending and some others descending.
  • Sort some notebooks by Updated Date ascending and some others descending
  • Sort some notebooks alphabetically by title
  • Sort some notebooks numerically by geo location
  • Sort some notebooks alphabetically by author

Mix these sort rules into 250 synchronized notebooks containing thousands of notes.

Then change the sort on a few of the notebooks.

And this will have no impact on Evernote's speed?

• Level 5*

Evernote remembered the last sort order in a previous version. It was a version update this year that removed this sensible feature in favour of the constant default of last updated/reverse order. Clearly there are programmers who don't use Evernotes in their daily life, where title order is how real people find things 99% of the time. Who on earth remembers when they last updated the note they want to find.

On the contrary -- I (a member of both of the sets of real people *and* software developers) almost never use note title to search for things, unless my note list is less than 10 items in length, where I can search by eye. In daily use, I almost always sort by most recently updated, because those are likely to be the ones on the front burner of what I'm doing. And tags help a lot, notebooks less so.

On the contrary -- I (a member of both of the sets of real people *and* software developers) almost never use note title to search for things, unless my note list is less than 10 items in length, where I can search by eye. In daily use, I almost always sort by most recently updated, because those are likely to be the ones on the front burner of what I'm doing. And tags help a lot, notebooks less so.

I use it for lots of stuff but the biggest use is for my grad work. Unit numbers, assignment numbers are how I title my notes cuz that's how they track our work - 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 2.1.1, 6.x, etc.. In addition, throughout the course, I need to go back to a prior unit to look up a different paper I've already written, so sort by title is important. Each course has other docs I need to reference throughout the course. Some are more important, thus need them higher on the stack of notes.  I title them thus: !Readings, !!Assignments, *Syllabus, !MLA Formatting, ^Final Paper, etc. Took some experimenting to figure out how E sorts these symbols. Once I got it figured out, I use it to great advantage. With 60 to 75 notes per course/notebook, sort by title is the ONLY way for me.

• Level 5*

I title them thus: !Readings, !!Assignments, *Syllabus, !MLA Formatting, ^Final Paper, etc. Took some experimenting to figure out how E sorts these symbols. Once I got it figured out, I use it to great advantage. With 60 to 75 notes per course/notebook, sort by title is the ONLY way for me.

You should be a little careful if you use Evernote on different OS's. Sort order for symbols may not be the same across the different clients.

The point of my post was to point out to cyjatoronto -- who asserted that 99% of 'real people' (as if developers aren't real people) use sort-by-note-title -- that while sorting by title may be a popular option (not that there's any proof of that that I've ever seen), it's not the only viable one for many useful workflows, and not to say that sorting by title isn't.

I title them thus: !Readings, !!Assignments, *Syllabus, !MLA Formatting, ^Final Paper, etc. Took some experimenting to figure out how E sorts these symbols. Once I got it figured out, I use it to great advantage. With 60 to 75 notes per course/notebook, sort by title is the ONLY way for me.

You should be a little careful if you use Evernote on different OS's. Sort order for symbols may not be the same across the different clients.

The point of my post was to point out to cyjatoronto -- who asserted that 99% of 'real people' (as if developers aren't real people) use sort-by-note-title -- that while sorting by title may be a popular option (not that there's any proof of that that I've ever seen), it's not the only viable one for many useful workflows, and not to say that sorting by title isn't.

Thanks for the tip. I use Windows and Android only. I had originally started my post with "I think we're all real people, including developers" but deleted it cuz I didn't want to come across sarcastic. ;-)

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*

+1

I change notes sort order to "created" but every time I open Evernote it changes back to "created". Very annoying. There should be an option to set the sort order and forget it.

Is this in the Windows client? Generally, set-it-and-forget-it works, but sometimes there's a glitch that causes this not to work. You can try setting it, and then shutting down Evernote completely, via File / Exit, and then starting up again.

+1

I change notes sort order to "created" but every time I open Evernote it changes back to "created". Very annoying. There should be an option to set the sort order and forget it.

Is this in the Windows client? Generally, set-it-and-forget-it works, but sometimes there's a glitch that causes this not to work. You can try setting it, and then shutting down Evernote completely, via File / Exit, and then starting up again.

Correct. Windows.

I see multiple forum threads with Windows users facing the same problem. I can confirm my Windows Evernote client sort order reverts when I close/re-open it.

I can confirm the sort order sticks if I manually exit with File > Exit. Compared to Windows closing Evernote (running in the background) when it shuts down.

Quite honestly, I'm happy and thankful to the people on this forum. But that is strange that you must do that for the settings to stick. At the end of the day... Thank you!

• Level 5*

I can confirm the sort order sticks if I manually exit with File > Exit. Compared to Windows closing Evernote (running in the background) when it shuts down.

Quite honestly, I'm happy and thankful to the people on this forum. But that is strange that you must do that for the settings to stick. At the end of the day... Thank you!

Thereafter, it should stick, even if using the 'X'.

Archived