(Archived) Accessing business notebooks stored locally on Windows server

In my office we have both Windows computers and Macs.  They are all connected to a Windows server.

We are exploring moving to Evernote for Business and using it as a paperless office solution.

Some of our documents contain sensitive information that we want to store locally.  Can we configure Evernote for Business to work with local notebooks that are accessible to all employees, including those using Macs, while they are in the office?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim and welcome to the forum,

That is an interesting question and I wonder if it is more a hardware problem. But I don't know the answer.

I also use Windows and Mac computers, but cannot work out how it may come together. I will highlight your question to others who may know more.

Best regards

Chris

In my office we have both Windows computers and Macs.  They are all connected to a Windows server.

We are exploring moving to Evernote for Business and using it as a paperless office solution.

Some of our documents contain sensitive information that we want to store locally.  Can we configure Evernote for Business to work with local notebooks that are accessible to all employees, including those using Macs, while they are in the office?

I doubt this is possible, unless everyone was using the same account (user name). The Windows client has all notebooks in the exb file for that user name. So unless you're using that login, you won't have access to the local notebook. There may be something different with an EB account. But since I think they use the same windows software, I doubt this is possible.

Thanks Burgers and Chris.

Now I'm thinking of setting up separate Evernote accounts for all of my clients. I could set them up to store notebooks locally. In the middle of the night, when no one is working, I'd synchronize the data files across all the computers in the office. I think I'd need to use Parallels on the Mac so that we'd just be using Evernote for Windows.

For this to work, no two people in the office would be able to make changes to the same client accounts on the same day.

This solution may be too cumbersome and so I may use something other than Evernote for sensitive documents. However I'm curious if anyone thinks it would work.

Thanks!

Thanks Burgers and Chris.

Now I'm thinking of setting up separate Evernote accounts for all of my clients. I could set them up to store notebooks locally. In the middle of the night, when no one is working, I'd synchronize the data files across all the computers in the office. I think I'd need to use Parallels on the Mac so that we'd just be using Evernote for Windows.

For this to work, no two people in the office would be able to make changes to the same client accounts on the same day.

This solution may be too cumbersome and so I may use something other than Evernote for sensitive documents. However I'm curious if anyone thinks it would work.

Thanks!

I don't think synchronizing the exb files would work.  Like I said, all notebooks in an account are stored in a single exb file.  Trying to sync them between each other (in order to get the local notebooks) sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.  If multiple people need to have access to data you don't want in the cloud, I think you should find another solution.  Like simply storing on a networked drive.

Ok so I'm about convinced that syncing is not going to work.

Another idea I've had is to black out sensitive information before I scan it into Evernite. Then I won't have to mess with local files. But that leads me to what I'll do with sensitive documents I receive in PDF format (e.g. brokerage statements I download). How will it work if I forward these documents directly into Evernote and then mark out the sensitive information from within Evernote? Presumably Evernote will have the sensitive information via the indexing it does. Will this sensitive information be accessible to hackers?

Archived