Improvements for Checklists

rochrunner

Idea

My largest usage of Evernote is to maintain checklists. I'm considering here that a "checklist" is not quite the same as a "to-do list" in that nothing has a schedule or reminder associated with it -- just checkboxes and item descriptions. I'm of course using the checkbox functionality of Evernote, but I find it to have limitations for what I'm trying to accomplish. There are different types of checklists that I have, including the following:

• Long-term to-do lists, such as what I'd like to accomplish over the winter season.
  • Shorter-term one-use lists such as gift lists or shopping lists.
  • Long-term accumulating lists, such as my list of books I want to read, which has a tendency to grow at a quicker rate than I can check them off! It also serves as a reminder of what I have read in the past.
  • Packing lists. I have a number of these and depend on them a lot for vacations and various types of events and trips. They obviously have to be reusable.
  • Procedure lists. Since my memory isn't what it used to be, these are useful for making sure that I don't forget to do something when doing various household maintenance chores, auto maintenance, etc. Again, checkable but reusable.

I was glad to see that Evernote added a function to "Uncheck All," which is very useful for my packing lists and procedures (it's available in the Windows client but not in the Android app).  However, there are a few other features that I would like to see in Evernote:

• Sorting options. Alphabetic sorting would be useful in lists that aren't sequential, such as packing lists and my book list.
  • Hide all checked items. Useful in a large list to see what has not been checked off yet.
  • Delete all checked items. In a one-time list, useful to clear out any checked-off items.

I realize that there are some checklist apps available for my Android devices, but I really need something that will sync across platforms, and especially one that has a Windows client. So far, Evernote is all that will do this adequately.

8 replies to this idea

Any news on this? Doesn't look as though this has reached a high priority on lists of enhancements yet - but I'd like to see it do so.

I'd like to add a couple thoughts that coincide with the suggestions above:

• Checking off an item strikes through the text and lightens it to light gray to it's easy to scan a list for incomplete tasks
  • Ability to use due dates / reminders on individual tasks
  • Sorting capabilities (as mentioned above) to sort the list by all incomplete items, complete items, by due date (if reminders are set)
  • specify the priority of a task (important, low, normal)
  • Sync task lists with phone reminders app

As of now, it's easier for me to just create a task in a bullet and just strike through the text w/o using a checkbox.  I don't find them easy enough to scan through to quickly find outstanding items.

• Level 5*

As of earlier this year, Reminders were added. They're note-based only: a Reminder is just a note with a ReminderTime set. Reminders are presented in a sub-list atop note views in the various clients (not the List view in Windows, though), and are sortable separately. You can also filter off completed reminders.

I wouldn't bet on them adding due dates/reminders that can be used inside a note any time soon.

• Level 5*

Sure thing.

I use reminders as they are now, and find them pretty handy, though I'm not into heavyweight task management. Sometimes I use the reminder list as a "scoreboard" of current items of interest (research articles, etc.). I also like the feature that the Reminders sub-list follows the current search filter, so if I do any search (say on a particular tag), then I only see the reminders that have that tag.

• Level 5*

Josh,

I was using Wunderlist and EN and decided like you I wanted it all in one place. So even with its warts I decided to use EN for task management. In Snippet view with the use of work/home, people, and project tags I can get as concise or broad a list as I like using simple or compound searches. Not perfect nor nearly as pretty as Wunderlist, but all my "to do" stuff is in one place. Trade off is worth it for me. Still use Wunderlist for groceries and FollowUpThen to really ring the alarm bell. FWIW.

Also, side benefit, since I am doing these searches I can use list view since the universe of notes in the search equals the drop down remnder list. Though not in reminder date sequence.

Archived