I think that it would be really helpful and a time saver if you would add an update that would allow users who have had notebooks shared with them, to add tags to the notebooks. (Besides the ones that have already been added.) At least give the original creator of the notebook the option of if they want to allow users that they have shared notebooks with to add tags. Thanks

• 4 months later...

From looks of this, tags must be boring.  Where would I make a suggestion : like alowing user to manually sort tags and allow nested tags?  Remember when Jobs invented "stacks" 25yrs ago. He allowed us to nest & organize our stacks.  Really cool back then, and it still is.  Evernote is just a big stack? EN search function is so strong, tags are redundent, unless they allow organization.  I have resorted to just imbedding tags in notes since the "tag" has little additional value??

• Level 5

From looks of this, tags must be boring.  Where would I make a suggestion : like alowing user to manually sort tags and allow nested tags?  Remember when Jobs invented "stacks" 25yrs ago. He allowed us to nest & organize our stacks.  Really cool back then, and it still is.  Evernote is just a big stack? EN search function is so strong, tags are redundent, unless they allow organization.  I have resorted to just imbedding tags in notes since the "tag" has little additional value??

Evernote is flexible - embedding key words, nested tags, GTD tags, well-structured titles all can achieve good results.

Embedding tags can work, but there will be some reduction in the search accuracy due to a variety of reasons (discussed elsewhere).

Here is a work around I use for my 1,400 tags. It is a quasi hierarchical nested tag structure.  I only need two layers to work it effectively.

Other users have adapted their tags to run a GTD setup.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/46901-feature-request-tag-inheritance/#entry241483

• Level 5*

Tags are quite far from boring, actually! They allow you to make sorting and finding notes much quicker and faster. I do agree we need truly nested tags, but there are workarounds to achieve the same effect. Tags accomplish quite a bit more than simple searching for keywords. I mention quite a few here:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/57740-the-benefit-of-using-tags/?p=274536

The whole discussion is worth a read, IMHO, as people on both sides of the tagging discussion weigh in. I'm a fervent tagger, but I manage 5k+ notes that I must find and be able to interact with quickly. I'm sure people who have smaller databases or are able to flawlessly type their search results each time, all whilst remembering which keywords you used, can get by without them, but I've seen a much increased productivity level since incorporating them myself. I have around 400 tags, but have them organized by category so I can rapidly find the one I need. Works well, but not everyone's brains wire the same way, so I can see why some don't like them. I do think everyone needs to fully understand how they work to get use out of them, however. Know your tools :)

• Level 5*

Tags are what you make of them -- they're not boring to me. They give whatever value to notes that you invest in them.

Evernote allows you to organize your notebooks in stacks, if you like (and your notebooks organize your notes). That's one thing, but tags allow you to organize *across* different notebooks or other tag categorizations.

Suggestions can be made here in the forums, as Evernote staff read every post (but may not respond). Alternatively, you can open a support request -- you'll get a response, but you won't be speaking direct to someone in the development staff. Take your pick.

Archived