Jump to content

How to set default view as "view pdf files as attachments"


Recommended Posts

I am using windows client 4.6.7.  My pdf's are not showing up as attachments.  For each pdf I need to right click and select "show as attachment".  This seems to work but is very cumbersome.  I have gone through all the options and preferences and do not see anywhere where I can set this as the default view.  Any advice appreciated.  Thanks

Link to post
  • 9 months later...

This is helpful if you want to always show PDF docuemnts as attachments, but is not the same as defaulting to view as an attachment (where user could elect to show an individual pdf as embedded view).

Is there any way to default to showing as attachment whilst still allowing user to over-ride the default behaviour in e.g. the context menu, so that individual pdfs could be selected to show in full embedded view?

Link to post
  • Level 5*

Right click on the attachment and un-check View as Attachment (assuming you are defaulting to view as attachment) to get the embedded view.  Then toggle as you need..  

Link to post

Unfortunately it is not as simple as this. If you follow spg SCOTT's instructions (Tools -> Options -> Note tab -> Always show PDF documents as attachments), right clicking to un-check "View as Attachment" is not possible, as "view as attachment" is greyed out. 

Is there some means of defaulting to "view as attachment" that I am not aware of?

Link to post
  • 1 month later...

Unfortunately it is not as simple as this. If you follow spg SCOTT's instructions (Tools -> Options -> Note tab -> Always show PDF documents as attachments), right clicking to un-check "View as Attachment" is not possible, as "view as attachment" is greyed out. 

Is there some means of defaulting to "view as attachment" that I am not aware of?

Hi John,

 

Did you ever get an answer to this?

 

Thanks

 

David

Link to post
  • Level 5*

@JohnDL,

 

My apologies for the earlier post.  I did not realize that the global option totally prevented viewing the PDF.  My only excuse is that I tend to view my PDFs in line and only switch to view as attachment on occasion.  If you read the option literally it does what it says, though I thought it was a default for new PDFs.  Sorry for the bad advice and thanks for the information. 

Link to post
  • 2 years later...

This is the very reason why I am getting read of this ***** software.

Evernote was never great for the editor part, but was nice and free.

Now it has become a memory hog and the editor functions have not improved.

I needed to create a note with 12 pdfs today.

Had to drag and drop ONE BY ONE, then had to click on each of them one by one to change the view to attachement.

In the meantime, evernote emails saying the condition become more restrictive are piling up in my email account. Every week free users lose features. Now I can tuse any mobile app for free, and it is limited to only two machines. What is next? why not limit it to one machine and compete with notepad?

I ll probably migrate to Synology note station soon, which is completely free, not restrictive, has free mobile app, does not require any account, and has a function to import evernotes entire accounts (it took a few hours for me but works perfect.

 

Evernote, you are doomed.

 

 

Link to post
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, v1ncen7 said:

Every week free users lose features.

I haven’t seen anything lately.  I think the last change was the 2 simultaneous device limit in 2016

Goodbye, Good Luck

Link to post
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, v1ncen7 said:

Evernote was never great for the editor part, but was nice and free.

It's still free, but with a couple of restrictions. You can live with them, pay up, or move on to Synology or whatever. Life is simple. Good luck.

Didn't we have these conversations, oh, like a year ago or so?

Link to post
  • Level 5
10 hours ago, v1ncen7 said:

yes I know this option, cant be used as explained in the previous posts.

Sorry to be so dense, but I'm trying to understand the issue. That option does cause all PDFs to be displayed as attachments. In the case you presented:

On 8/23/2017 at 0:42 PM, v1ncen7 said:

I needed to create a note with 12 pdfs today.

Had to drag and drop ONE BY ONE, then had to click on each of them one by one to change the view to attachement.

with the option "Always show PDF documents as attachments" unchecked, that would be true, and then it is not possible to select individual PDFs to be viewed inline. That much I get from the preceding discussion. Is it that you want PDFs generally to be displayed as attachments, but to be able to select specific ones to be displayed inline? In that case, of course, you'd have to manually click on each attachment you wanted to view inline. It's not an unreasonable request, but I can't see how it saves you very much trouble overall. Since (as I understand it) the option is purely a matter of display, would it be possible to turn it on and off as needed, depending on how you're working with a specific note? Sorry, I'm just struggling with it.

Link to post

As  mentioned by others here, all I want is to have the DEFAULT to be displayed as attachment when dragging a file in a note BUT I still want the ability to right click on one of them later on to change some of them to preview display.

Otherwise every time I drag a new file, I have then to click in the note, resize the image to be able to place the cursor on its right, then hit return a few time to get a new line, then scroll down, because the return key does not automatically scroll, so the cursor ends up out of screen, then select the next image I want, and drag it over. Do that 8 times for 8 pictures. Or, open word, drag all your pic AT ONCE in the doc, then attach word in a note. But if I have to use a separate editor to get things done, what is the point really? I might as well use file sync and not use evernote at all.The process is completely illogical -> It should be shown as attachment by default with an option to switch to preview (if that does not make sense to you, I don't think you really used Evernote to attach more than one document). And no, turning the option on and off each  time is not acceptable when the logical answer would be just to make things easier by using common sense.

 

Link to post
  • Level 5
16 minutes ago, v1ncen7 said:

As  mentioned by others here, all I want is to have the DEFAULT to be displayed as attachment when dragging a file in a note BUT I still want the ability to right click on one of them later on to change some of them to preview display.

Otherwise every time I drag a new file, I have then to click in the note, resize the image to be able to place the cursor on its right, then hit return a few time to get a new line, then scroll down, because the return key does not automatically scroll, so the cursor ends up out of screen, then select the next image I want, and drag it over. Do that 8 times for 8 pictures. Or, open word, drag all your pic AT ONCE in the doc, then attach word in a note. But if I have to use a separate editor to get things done, what is the point really? I might as well use file sync and not use evernote at all.The process is completely illogical -> It should be shown as attachment by default with an option to switch to preview (if that does not make sense to you, I don't think you really used Evernote to attach more than one document). And no, turning the option on and off each  time is not acceptable when the logical answer would be just to make things easier by using common sense.

 

OK, it's pics rather than PDFs (which you said earlier, and which is the topic of the thread). I agree that it would be good to be able to change from the default for individual PDF attachments (though I'm not sure what is objectively more logical). FWIW, though, it is possible to select multiple PDFs in Explorer and drag them all at once into an Evernote note.

Pics can be harder to deal with because of the sizing issue. But I did just select 6 JPGs in Explorer and drag them into a note. Then I did Ctrl+Home to put the cursor at the top of the note, and then repeated End - Enter - Enter in order to put a blank line between each two pics. In that Options dialog in the earlier post, I have "Allow images displayed as attachments" checked. I can right-click each pic and choose to display it as an attachment rather than inline. OTOH, if that option is unchecked, I can't right-click a pic and select to display it as an attachment; that's a problem.

Anyway, none of this may suit your needs. I hope you can find a way of making Evernote work for you, and I wish I could help more. If not, I hope you find a good, serviceable alternative.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...