Enhancement: Better Organization of Shared Tags

When viewing a shared notebook, the tags that were created by the original user are all listed in the Tags root, which really creates havoc in the Tags section from an organization standpoint, especially with multiple users.

A simple fix for this would be to create another section (or subsection) called Shared Tags that would be broken down by each user who shared them.  Shared Tags and each user should be collapsible.

So right now, under Tags, I have numerous tags in the Tags root from each user with his/her name in parenthesis after each individual tag.  It would make more sense to have:

Shared Tags->John Smith->JS Tag 1

->JS Tag 2

->JS Tag 3

->Mary Snow->MS Tag 1

->MS Tag 2

->MS Tag 3

->MS Tag 4

->Bob Roberts->BR Tag 1

->BR Tag 2

This way, I could collapse and expand "Shared Tags" and then collapse and expand "John Smith" to hide or show John's tags.  Same with Mary, Bob, etc.

The current method really hampers how my company uses Evernote. I know I am not the only one who would like to see improvement regarding Shared Tags.   My suggestion seems like a simple fix to me.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Agreed that something needs to be done about tags and sharing (also about tags in general and sharing in general and just a few other things..).  I don't necessarily think that it's a "simple" fix though...

After some tooling around, I did come up with a temporary workaround for people who use Evernote for GTD and thesecretweapon.org on a PC.  The biggest issue is that the shared tags intermingle with your own tags in the left pane.  The shared tags wreak havoc if you have set your highest level tags by the defaults specified by thesecretweapon.org.  This can be fixed by replacing the dot (.) that is at the beginning of the highest level tags with a ~.  So instead of the following:

.What

.When

.Where

.Who

Use:

~What

~When

~Where

~Who

This will force all of the shared tags to appear below your personal tags.  Make sure you completely exit Evernote if your items do not reorder (or make sure you reboot).

Even if you do not use thesecretweapon.org and are frustrated by shared tags mixing with your own, you can alleviate it by creating higher (root) level tags as categories for the tags that you actually use and putting the ~ in front of the higher level tags.   For example, if you use city names as tags on your notes, you would create a tag called "~Cities" in the root and then drag all of your city tags (Chicago, Denver, Seattle) into the higher level tag (~Cities).  It's sort of like creating a folder.  When you do this with all of your personal tags, the shared tags will fall to the bottom of the left pane and you can ignore them when when working with your personal tags.

It's not a perfect setup, but it should help.

I hope this post saves someone else time and frustration until (hopefully) the tag system is improved. 

• Level 5*

For me, the answer to shared tags is that in most cases, I don't want to see any indication that they're mine or someone else's (they're often from the other of my two accounts, one for personal use and one for work). For practical purposes (searching  / filtering), shared tags are indistinguishable (there's no special search grammar to specify tags from a certain account, at least at this point in time), and having duplicated tags shown in the UI (tag tree, search info, etc.) is cluttered, confusing, and awkward (e.g. the double tags shown in the search controls: you cannot delete one or the other of them, even though they have no different meaning to search). Why are they shown doubled at all, particularly since they are not shown tagged with their source account? You can't even tell them apart.

To keep things simple, it's best to remember that tags are just labels; where they come from isn't usable in Evernote currently. 

That being said, sure, there are times when you do want to see duplicate tags the tag's owner; sometimes you need to do tag management. Fine; that would be best suited in the tag panel that you get when you click on the Tags header in the left panel. 

• 1 year later...

Any word on action on this particular problem?  

Like Ki11Billy, I have been using a workaround that involves nesting my own tags in a heirarchichal structure and anything (almost) that is not nested under a TSW/GTD root category sorts below my root tags.  I wouldn't mind the hundreds of tags belonging to co-workers (none of whom are TSW users, fortunately for for me) if I could move shared tags to a "root tag" for shared tags.  

To my knowledge nothing has yet changed as far as that enhancement request.  Does anyone know differently or have a new solution?

• Level 5*

There is no change that I'm aware of. A fix would be nice, as I have a fair number of shared tags. Flip side is that most of the time this doesn't matter to me: my base tag vocabulary is pretty well set at this point, so new tags are relatively rare. U usually run with the tag tree closed.

• 5 months later...

Bump... Very frustrating.  I share my family EN account workbooks with my individual EN account but now I have a bunch of extra tags in the left sidebar that are really annoying seeing as how 99% of the time I'm using Evernote at work and rely heavily on sorting with tags. We even purchased an Evernote ScanSnap at home for organization but it's becoming a burden when I share these tags with my individual account. I don't want to delete the shared tags, but I would really like to organize them into a folder called SHARED TAGS.  Evernote, many people seem to be having this or a similar issue with shared tags.  Please help!

• 2 years later...
  • Level 5*
On 17/09/2017 at 11:21 PM, mbca said:

I'm having the same issue. Anybody have any solutions for this since it was last addressed in 2015?

Hi.  Evernote have upgraded lots to do with syncing and sharing since 2015,  but the organisation of shared tags is still pretty much as listed above.  AFAIK there were no breakthroughs.... :(

Archived