(Archived) Internet Explorer is in offline mode.

Because of the Internet Explorer setting I am unable to sync.

This is the second post I create about this, because the forum is NOT friendly where finding your own, existing posts is concerned. 

I have received a post from gazumped stating I can change the offline setting in Explorer. I did not find the setting. 

Please, please, please: unless you have the perfect answer, do not anwer to the present post:

I need a solution, not an opinion.

Many thanks.

• Level 5*

Because of the Internet Explorer setting I am unable to sync.

This is the second post I create about this, because the forum is NOT friendly where finding your own, existing posts is concerned. 

I have received a post from gazumped stating I can change the offline setting in Explorer. I did not find the setting. 

Please, please, please: unless you have the perfect answer, do not anwer to the present post:

I need a solution, not an opinion.

Many thanks.

I don't have a perfect answer. I don't even have an opinion. Could you explain to us what you are trying to do and what "the Internet Explorer setting" is? Also, this forum is open to everyone for comments. If you don't find posts helpful, feel free to ignore them, but please do not discourage people from joining the discussion. Some of their comments might not be useful in your case, but they could be for people who stumble across the thread in the future.

If you want the perfect answer to a problem and do not want to hear comments from users who might not have it, please consider contacting customer support (see the link in my signature).

• Level 5*

You find your posts by going to your profile, and clicking on either the link that says "Posts" or "Topics".

If you don't like advice that you get here, don't take it. But other users are generally trying to help here, and there is no one source of perfect knowledge and understanding.

Thanks GrumpyMonkey.

In my frustration, I forgot to spell out the problem: I have a new, windows 8 laptop, and when I try to sync evernote, a dialog pops up stating:

Internet Explorer in is offline mode.

Evernote cannot synchronize your notes while internet explorer is in offline mode.

Please start Internet Explorer, open the file menu and uncheck work offline. 

I have rummaged the options under the file menu in internet explorer but cannot find a work offline option to check or uncheck.

Thanks for the link, GrumpyMonkey.

I must politely disagree with your opinion (clearly you do have one where members answers are concerned):

It is not for nothing that forum members have various types of status. If a member does not have the knowledge to address another member's issue, then clearly they should refrain.

I should think this is common sense, just as it would be common sense for senior members like you to state so. 

I would expect senior members and moderators to enforce such standards.

Seeking an answer on a forum should not be an exercise in frustration, but rather one of asking a question and either receiving blow by blow solution or nothing at all.

That is not an opinion, it is common sense.  One can have opinions about qualitative things; about technical things one either does or does not know. 

Since the forum seems to value subjective input as much as objective input, I shall from now on go to technical support and other places rather than here. 

• Level 5*

I have a new, windows 8 laptop, and when I try to sync evernote, a dialog pops up stating:

Internet Explorer in is offline mode.

Evernote cannot synchronize your notes while internet explorer is in offline mode.

Please start Internet Explorer, open the file menu and uncheck work offline. 

I have rummaged the options under the file menu in internet explorer but cannot find a work offline option to check or uncheck.

Great to see this. I have not encountered the problem myself with Windows 8, so I cannot comment from experience, but perhaps other members can weigh in on the issue. The best I can do is this: "To turn offline browsing on and off, choose Work Offline from the Tools drop-down menu (or press Alt+FW)" from http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-use-offline-browsing-in-internet-explorer-8.html

I must politely disagree with your opinion (clearly you do have one where members answers are concerned)

No worries. We value subjective, objective, incorrect, and even ludicrous advice here. It's a forum for users to discuss stuff related to Evernote, so you'll get a mix of these, sometimes from the same person! As for common sense, it's quite uncommon (to quote Mark Twain), and I think we will have to agree to disagree about forum participation.

Please take the time to let us know what support tells you.

It is not for nothing that forum members have various types of status. If a member does not have the knowledge to address another member's issue, then clearly they should refrain.

I should think this is common sense, just as it would be common sense for senior members like you to state so. 

I would expect senior members and moderators to enforce such standards.

Seeking an answer on a forum should not be an exercise in frustration, but rather one of asking a question and either receiving blow by blow solution or nothing at all.

That is not an opinion, it is common sense.  One can have opinions about qualitative things; about technical things one either does or does not know. 

Since the forum seems to value subjective input as much as objective input, I shall from now on go to technical support and other places rather than here.

Again, as GM & Jeff have stated, this is a public forum. Anyone can participate. You are free to ignore any posts you think are not helpful. Or you can submit a support ticket to deal directly with Evernote staff.

• Level 5*

Sometimes a user's problem is not communicated well (and apparently the case here: "In my frustration, I forgot to spell out the problem"), and yes indeed, that can lead to misunderstandings or attempts to clarify. Again, expecting perfect knowledge from any source (even official sources) is a little foolhardy (and I find that there's little in this world that is perfectly objective), but if you choose not to participate here in these forums, then that's fine, and good luck to you.

Archived