(Archived) (Archived) using multiple devices: sync problems

Tomass

I use evernote windows desktop at work, evernote windows desktop at home and evernote android on my phone.

I recently upgraded my home machine to EN5 (work machine was already upgraded) and somehow during this process it wiped all my shortcuts because it decided that my evernote machine at home had made the changes and instead of it 'reading' the info on shortcuts from the server it 'wrote' it's information on shortcuts to the server.....seriously annoying!

I spent a long time putting up notes, labels & notebooks into that shortcut section so that I wouldn't have to remember them.

Now I'm just going to have to hope I can piece back together my shortcuts over time and won't miss out anything.

I've had this happen a number of times where, when syncing something, Evernote has deleted information that's on the server because the device I'm using doesn't have it on rather than reading from it and putting that information on my device. Thankfully it's normally created an 'unsynced note'...even though it doesn't actually give you any notification of this.

• Level 5*

If you're using multiple devices it's important to remember to sync both before and after any changes,  and when closing down or leaving one device - to make sure you always have the most recent version in front of you.  

If practical it's better to save a new note with new information than change an old one - you can 'tag' them together,  or merge later.

I've had this happen a number of times where, when syncing something, Evernote has deleted information that's on the server because the device I'm using doesn't have it on rather than reading from it and putting that information on my device. Thankfully it's normally created an 'unsynced note'...even though it doesn't actually give you any notification of this.

This doesn't make sense. Evernote doesn't delete something from the server because the client you're syncing "doesn't have it", unless you've actually deleted it from that client. When you're moving between multiple computers & devices, it's important to understand how syncing works.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/20092-not-very-happy-right-now/?p=101095

If you're using multiple devices it's important to remember to sync both before and after any changes,  and when closing down or leaving one device - to make sure you always have the most recent version in front of you.  

If practical it's better to save a new note with new information than change an old one - you can 'tag' them together,  or merge later.

without meaning to be rude, this is my theory on that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Make_Me_Think

I appreciate what you're saying and yeah, you're right...but I'm not asking for tips on how to use it I'm giving feedback on the product.

1 - I should be able to choose to auto sync as soon as I sign on

2 - 15 minutes should not be the lowest syncing interval...like 5min

3 - I should never have to think about syncing

And I appreciate I'm using a free product and maybe 5m sync is putting too much demand but I didn't have that option when I was premium either.

@BurgersNFries...sorry I don't have time to read that post nor fully understand how the syncing works...

I'm just reporting what happened. I upgraded from 4 to 5 and all my shortcuts went. I definitely didn't delete them so I'm assuming that it has something to do with the sync...but perhaps it was the upgrade which directly deleted them then the sync just synced that action?

Thanks for your replies...apologies if I'm a little blunt..pushed for time.

without meaning to be rude, this is my theory on that

I appreciate what you're saying and yeah, you're right...but I'm not asking for tips on how to use it I'm giving feedback on the product.

1 - I should be able to choose to auto sync as soon as I sign on

2 - 15 minutes should not be the lowest syncing interval...like 5min

3 - I should never have to think about syncing

And I appreciate I'm using a free product and maybe 5m sync is putting too much demand but I didn't have that option when I was premium either.

@BurgersNFries...sorry I don't have time to read that post nor fully understand how the syncing works...

I'm just reporting what happened. I upgraded from 4 to 5 and all my shortcuts went. I definitely didn't delete them so I'm assuming that it has something to do with the sync...but perhaps it was the upgrade which directly deleted them then the sync just synced that action?

Thanks for your replies...apologies if I'm a little blunt..pushed for time.

And I think my postman should deliver my mail every day before noon. But that's just not how life works.  I suggest you read the post when you have time.  Unless & until you understand how the sync'ing works, you're going to continue to have problems when moving between devices. The adage "don't be penny wise & pound foolish" is kind of applicable here.  IOW, if you don't take a couple of minutes to understand the sync'ing, you may well lose more than that in time when you lose a valuable note.

Archived