(Archived) Request: Search within notebook stacks, not just individual notebooks

jmcanfield

Idea

10 replies to this idea

I use a lot of notebook stacks and whenever I want to search within all of the notebooks at once I can't do it. I have to do a search within each individual notebook and it's rather time consuming and frustrating.

Are you sure? You can search a stack on the Windows client & I think it's supported in the search grammar.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/23186-can-i-search-two-or-more-notebooks-simultaneously/

I'm pretty sure it's not possible in the Mac client. I've had no luck adding "stack:" and the names of my stacks aren't listed in my list of notebooks (unless one of them is named the same as the stack, but then it's still just searching in that one notebook.) 

I think it was possible in an older version, but the feature seems to have disappeared in 5.0+ on mac.

• Level 5*

I'm pretty sure it's not possible in the Mac client. I've had no luck adding "stack:" and the names of my stacks aren't listed in my list of notebooks (unless one of them is named the same as the stack, but then it's still just searching in that one notebook.) 

I think it was possible in an older version, but the feature seems to have disappeared in 5.0+ on mac.

stack:StackName works for me in EN Mac 5.4.3, running Mac OS X 10.8.5 (Mt. Lion).

Also, your Stacks should appear in your Notebook list when you click on "Notebooks" in the Left Pane.

Double-click on a stack to show the NBs in that Stack.

At the bottom of the NB list for that Stack, there should be a link that says "View all notes in StackName."

stack:StackName works for me in EN Mac 5.4.3, running Mac OS X 10.8.5 (Mt. Lion).

Also, your Stacks should appear in your Notebook list when you click on "Notebooks" in the Left Pane.

Double-click on a stack to show the NBs in that Stack.

At the bottom of the NB list for that Stack, there should be a link that says "View all notes in StackName."

Yes, but my problem isn't that I can't view all of the notes in a stack, it's that I can't search for an item within that specific notebook stack. I'm running the same version of Evernote and still no luck typing stack:StackName and being able to search through those notes. I am, however, running OS X 10.9 (Mavericks).

• Level 5*

Yes, but my problem isn't that I can't view all of the notes in a stack, it's that I can't search for an item within that specific notebook stack. I'm running the same version of Evernote and still no luck typing stack:StackName and being able to search through those notes. I am, however, running OS X 10.9 (Mavericks).

?? Does the stack: search term narrow the current note list down? If not, then either you're doing something wrong or it's a bug. If it does, then it's perhaps not narrowing the list down enough? Then add more search terms: a tag: term, or some literal text would be the most common options.

?? Does the stack: search term narrow the current note list down? If not, then either you're doing something wrong or it's a bug. If it does, then it's perhaps not narrowing the list down enough? Then add more search terms: a tag: term, or some literal text would be the most common options.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. When I type in "stack:" it narrows it down to 0 notes because none of my notes have that particular phrase -- it isn't recognized as part of the search grammar.

Here's a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/m300zDR.png

• Level 5*

And instead of using "stack:" (which will return no notes, because all stacks must have a name), how about if you use something like "stack:MyStack" (where you'd replace "MyStack" with the name of one of your stacks)?

And instead of using "stack:" (which will return no notes, because all stacks must have a name), how about if you use something like "stack:MyStack" (where you'd replace "MyStack" with the name of one of your stacks)?

Same results, unfortunately. Could just be a bug

To clarify, if your stack name is not one word, you need to enclose it in quotes.  IOW,

Stack:My stack

looks for notes with the word 'stack' in the stack 'my'.

OTOH, stack:"my stack"

looks for all notes in "my stack"

That worked! Thanks for the help.

I do still wish there was a more user-friendly option, similar to the drop-down list they have for individual notebooks.

Archived